LegacyGT.com

btSsm, AFR, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, Rear o2, TGV left and right ?s

xtea

I'm late to the tech game and plan to wire my AFR, Oil Temp, and Oil Pressure through the rear o2 for AFR, and Tgv left and right for oil pressure and temp ideally. Then monitor it all through BtSsm app.

What I don't know is what parts or brands should I be looking at for oil temp and pressure sensors as well as sending units. I know subaru makes some, but are there others? Does it matter? Looks like I will install in the oil galley plugs for the oil sensors. Also I've heard the rear o2 sensor input can be noisy? Is this true? I will only be sending the input at the wire by the ecu. Power and ground are coming elsewhere. Since the oil sensors are going to be in the engine bay, using the tgvs left and right for that would be ideal.

06 outback xt

Thanks!

I actually have been extremely happy with my cheap oil pressure sender. It reads the same as my high-end Defi unit did. I do, however, use a pressure snubber because pressure spikes will kill the sender.

I have this sender:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RCPDUTY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_XNAIBb8402A9A

Then I use the 1/8 bspt snubber for motor oil (very important):

https://www.omega.com/pptst/PS_SNUBBERS.html

I don't use an oil temp sensor but maybe I will swap my wideband to the rear o2 sensor and use my tgv connector for the oil temp.

I actually have been extremely happy with my cheap oil pressure sender. It reads the same as my high-end Defi unit did. I do, however, use a pressure snubber because pressure spikes will kill the sender.

I have this sender:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RCPDUTY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_XNAIBb8402A9A

Then I use the 1/8 bspt snubber for motor oil (very important):

https://www.omega.com/pptst/PS_SNUBBERS.html

I don't use an oil temp sensor but maybe I will swap my wideband to the rear o2 sensor and use my tgv connector for the oil temp.

I bought the aem oil temp and pressure because my shop says its better the unicorn tears.

Now I go down the rabbit hole of getting a nexus bezel and all that crap....

Right now I velcro my iphone to the cubby door and use that for navigation. I may get an old android phone and do that instead of a nexus tablet because I don't want mess with putting in a nexus compatible bezel.

I pm'd heiche and bunch of questions. I'll post my answers here if I get any.

I’m doing this with fuel pressure and some differential pressure sensors I use for intake and aero testing.

TGV’s are the first choice for pressure sensors, they have clean 5V power and sensor ground on the same plug.

For temp sensors, depends on your car and sensor types avalible. On the ‘05-‘06 we can use the EGT sensor as an input for any NTC type temperature sensor. I use it for an auxiliary air temp sensor post IC/Meth nozel. You can also make a voltage divider with your temp sensor as one leg and feed this in one of your TGV inputs, that’s all the EGT sensor is to the same ADC in the ECU.

Rear O2 is an ok choice for wide bands as it has 12V power on the same plug, but it’s better to feed that into your BTSSM setup digitally. You’ll want to run Timurs rom or ElementaX with OTG+charging support, so you might as well use a USB hub and plug a PL2032 based USB-Serial converter in there for your wide and.

I’m doing this with fuel pressure and some differential pressure sensors I use for intake and aero testing.

TGV’s are the first choice for pressure sensors, they have clean 5V power and sensor ground on the same plug.

For temp sensors, depends on your car and sensor types avalible. On the ‘05-‘06 we can use the EGT sensor as an input for any NTC type temperature sensor. I use it for an auxiliary air temp sensor post IC/Meth nozel. You can also make a voltage divider with your temp sensor as one leg and feed this in one of your TGV inputs, that’s all the EGT sensor is to the same ADC in the ECU.

Rear O2 is an ok choice for wide bands as it has 12V power on the same plug, but it’s better to feed that into your BTSSM setup digitally. You’ll want to run Timurs rom or ElementaX with OTG+charging support, so you might as well use a USB hub and plug a PL2032 based USB-Serial converter in there for your wide and.

I'm rethinking the btssm route because I think gauges are going to look better then a tablet velcro'd to my dash. And I really don't want to nerd out on learning new tech right now. I used to love that stuff, but right now I just want more simplicity in my life. So my gauge thinking is on pause. It may start again next week in which case I will ask you what a lot of those words mean.

I'm rethinking the btssm route because I think gauges are going to look better then a tablet velcro'd to my dash. And I really don't want to nerd out on learning new tech right now. I used to love that stuff, but right now I just want more simplicity in my life. So my gauge thinking is on pause. It may start again next week in which case I will ask you what a lot of those words mean.

Sure ... and you bust my *ss.

I have plans to put an AFR/WB, then a fuel pressure, then an EGT on top of the boost. I won't clutter your thread with my pic. But moving all the temps and pressures to my steering colum makes sense for me. I am old. I need to look out the windsheild. I can scan pillar gauges under throttle. The temps and pressures are more ....

When is the car ready.

Or...

When is time to go home.

I can't use a tablet interface at my age, nope.

CKE SSP product information and sales : chris.ckessp@gmail.com

Sure ... and you bust my *ss.

I have plans to put an AFR/WB, then a fuel pressure, then an EGT on top of the boost. I won't clutter your thread with my pic. But moving all the temps and pressures to my steering colum makes sense for me. I am old. I need to look out the windsheild. I can scan pillar gauges under throttle. The temps and pressures are more ....

When is the car ready.

Or...

When is time to go home.

I can't use a tablet interface at my age, nope.

I almost didn’t “bust your ass”. ;)

To my taste that’s a lot of gauges behind the wheel for a daily. For me. You have offered so much to others through contributions on the Subaru forums that you have my deep respect and appreciation. You can damn well put as many gauges where ever you want and my opinion doesn’t mean jack. I was just poking some fun. Your set up isn’t maybe a bit excessive for me, but my honest opinion is it’s irrelevent when it comes to doing your own thing. It’s far from ricey, just a lot to look at, for me. You do you, and I respect you for it. Cheers mate.

My excessiveness is saying I’m going to one suspension change and then do 3! Then I post a ton about stuff no one cares about, and then change my mind 6 times in day making my posts irrelevant and waste of space. :)

The tablet in the JDM/Navi bezel trick looks a lot better than a ton of gauges in my opinion. 100% stealth when off.

That said I ended up doing BTSSM plus a vent pod for all the meth injection stuff. So maybe I’m not the best example to follow.

The tech side has a learning curve, but several of us in here have done it and like to chat about stuff. The easiest is flashing a special rom on the tablet that does 90% of the stuff for you. You then download a car friendly launcher, BTSSM, and whatever navigation/audio apps you want (optional). The rom will handle the start/shutdown of that tablet for you, along with any reverse camera stuff you may do. BTSSM can be set to star as soon as it sees your OpenPort, BT adapter, or VAGCOM cable.

I wanted to use an LTE tablet and overclock it (leading to a fun rabbit hole) but the standard WiFi Nexus 7 2013 stuff on a vanilla rom is very straight forward.

I have a cheapo LG tablet that I use. Its nice because of the USB connection paired with a Tactrix 2.0 offers high resolution to the logs. I couldn't figure out where to mount the tablet so I just use a flexible arm that's bolted to the seat mount. Its kinda in the way for a passenger, but I just put the tablet away if they complain.

I use one of my TGV inputs to monitor/log a wideband (LC2) sensor.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

I almost didn’t “bust your ass”. ;)

I am glad you did, I laughed pretty hard.

If you look at the dash and console of a 1972 Pantera ... not counting speedo and tach. There are 10 more gauges. It's like eyeballing a spider from "8 legged freaks". I always liked those big wedges. There are several very nice ones locally on the front range.

CKE SSP product information and sales : chris.ckessp@gmail.com

Archived