LegacyGT.com

05 LGT Wagon 5EAT Engine Swap Advice

Hello,

Unfortunately, I need a new SB for the LGT. Ringland got me.

Looking at all the routes available, $$$ and our collective skill sets, buddies and I think swapping a used engine in is the most efficient way to go about this.

I like the car but it has 142k miles and just a daily driver, so saving $$$ is the idea. No Mods or expected mods. Cost and longevity are the targets with this swap.

My questions,

1. What Engines would be a drop in replacement for the current EJ255 I have in there ?
  2. Can engines from manual tranny vehicles be swapped in ? any differences to note ?
  3. Any good sources for EJ255 long blocks ? Again, nothing built but just something that will keep us going until 200K
  4. What challenges exist with doing a JDM swap, Canadian spec engines? Difficult, not possible ?

Any help with what to choose will be appreciated. Looking at the web, the choices are baffling and expensive.

There are several threads on here on help with the swap, but feel free to throw in any advice.

3. Check the end of the rainbow. Sorry.

Best bet is buy a new shortblock & get the heads rebuilt. Assuming you assemble & install, it's about a $3K project. Good news is, if done right, you basically have a new engine.

4. Doable, but there are substantial complications regarding ECUs, exhaust AVCS, performance, tuning, and emissions. Where are you located?

From what I've read lately, the quality of engines being shipped over here has dropped sharply, and you may find yourself little better off after all the trouble and expense.

A 10YO engine is still 10YO, even when sprinkled with magical JDM fairy dust.

3. Check the end of the rainbow. Sorry.

Best bet is buy a new shortblock & get the heads rebuilt. Assuming you assemble & install, it's about a $3K project. Good news is, if done right, you basically have a new engine.

4. Doable, but there are substantial complications regarding ECUs, exhaust AVCS, performance, tuning, and emissions. Where are you located?

From what I've read lately, the quality of engines being shipped over here has dropped sharply, and you may find yourself little better off after all the trouble and expense.

A 10YO engine is still 10YO, even when sprinkled with magical JDM fairy dust.

Thanks. I am in Ohio. Just wanted to understand what was different. Not doing JDM because it is "JDM"

No comments on 1 and 2 ?

Read my click here link in my sig. That has been a guide to how to do it right the first time.

The SB difference between a 5eat and 5mt is the 5mt SB has belt guides on the timing belt.

Here's the service manual for you.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Buying used is very difficult to know how long it will last. If you want to do it right, you should buy a new OEM shortblock, have your heads rebuilt and reassembled like Relative4 said. This way you know you have a new engine but I would expect to pay 3k or more depending on what else you find that needs replacing. Otherwise you could end up paying 2500 or more for a used long block that explodes next week.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived