LegacyGT.com

Turbo Oil Return Line

Okay so I finally put my vf48 on my 2.5i. I had to go with a hard line for my oil return because a ss braided line would rest up against my headers and up pipe but the hard line I could bend it exactly where it had to go to not touch anything. Ive read you have to use part hardline and part hard rubber hose so it doesn't crack from vibration. Well the hose that is on there doesn't seem to really have wiggle room. my return is find of like the factory setup but instead of going in the back of the head, my car doesn't have the port not that I noticed anyways, the hard line runs to the oil pan instead. then it has probably about 6 inches of rubber hose attaching to the hard line to the factory oil drain fitting. Basically what I'm trying to ask is. Even though the rubber line doesn't feel like it has any play is it still safe from vibration to protect the hardline from cracking or should the rubber hose feel like it can move freely?

I wouldn't use rubber hoses with my oil lines..... braided steel ftw!

https://bnrsupercars.wordpress.com/subaru-oil-line-bypass-do-it-yourself-kit/

https://www.iagperformance.com/IAG-OEM-Location-Turbo-Oil-Feed-AVCS-Line-WRX-STI-p/iag-eng-2070.htm

Theres also the IP&T Filtered Turbo Oil Supply Line Kit V2, but I don't think they are made anymore, imo the best kit!

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/filtered-turbo-oil-supply-line-kit-w-instructions-173373.html

I would of loved using a braided line as my oil return line but it just simple won't fit. Not to mention it was touching my header and up pipe eventually going to melt it. Thats why I had to go with a bent hard pipe. just worried about the vibration which is why it has a section of rubber but not sure if it really will dampen the vibrations.

Also my feed line is already a SS Braided line, there is no hard lines there.

The oil return on the bottom of the turbo that feeds back into block? Where do you have yours feeding back into ? Where is your turbo located?

What exactly did you do? Did you swap in a different motor, or are you adding a turbo to a regular 2.5 sohc. Im having a hard time visualizing!

I have a 2008 legacy 2.5i. It’s non turbo. I installed a vf48 on it and it’s awaiting to get tuned atm. My oil return doesn’t go in the back of the block because on my engine that port isn’t there. I welded an -10 fitting on my oil pan and it goes in there. The turbo is located in the normal Subaru spot but is clocked to the left about 45 degrees since I can’t run an intake pipe under my manifold like other turbo Subarus. I can’t get a picture of the line right now since it’s dark out but I can tomorrow

Good luck with the project. I have been incredibly unimpressed with turbo 2.5i. We supercharged a ej253 and it was only slightly "better".

I have worked with the AVO kit s few times too.

Thanks the project is basically done now. I have everything bolt up just doing little things now like shaving some spots behind the bumper so it doesn't rub vac lines on the sharp edges. Until I get enough funds for the dyno tune but I can say for sure it does add what I was looking for. I have been babying it because its not tuned yet but even under light load I Can tell exactly when it starts to make boost haha. I'm not shooting high right now hoping 200-210 awhp on the stock psi. Drive it around til the 200k engine dies and swap a ej255/7 block in then have some fun with the boost.

Ya I saw the AVO kits and thought it was a little out of my range on price so I made all mine customly I had previous experience when I turbo'd my 97 legacy gt with an ej22e swapped in.

Sooo... I’m glad I didn’t get it tuned yet or drives like a maniac. My last post got me thinking why did it give me the feeling that I was driving a wrx my ej22e didn’t feel like under light throttle then I took a look at the turbo and saw the factory vac line hooked up to the wastegate actuator. There is a restrictor pill in there so instead of running the 7 psi I wanted I’m pretty sure that pill puts it at around 12 or 14 psi lol

Archived