LegacyGT.com

The official 2020 Legacy thread

aac0036

• I Donated
People are unrealistic and silly.

Camry has 301hp and 267 torque? It's FWD so it can barely put down that power most of the time(see reviews).

Legacy is 260 / 277 torque and routing it through 4 wheels.

thank you for proving my point. its subaru's AWD take on a camry. exact same target market.

What I want to know is, how many sales is Nissan going to steal away from Subaru with the AWD Altima? I mean, for the past 7 years (i.e. since the GT was discontinued at the end of MY2012), the Legacy's selling point has been that it's like every other mid-size sedan, but also happens to have AWD. What happens now that there are two sedans like that? :iam:

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wait, I thought we were just naming things randomly we want to buy. :iam: I don't want to move. Don't me make me move!!!! :eek:

Subaru Legacy 3.6RS STI Performance

Although the legacy in the video looks a lot cooler, seems like more of a aesthetic package than anything. The 10% increase in HP and Torque may have to do with exhaust and tuning than anything. I think the new Legacy XT will outperform it because being the owner of the 3.6 I can tell you the weakest point of this vehicle is not the engine, but rather the CVT. Seems like Subaru addresses this by saying that the CVT has reduced power loss.

What I want to know is, how many sales is Nissan going to steal away from Subaru with the AWD Altima? I mean, for the past 7 years (i.e. since the GT was discontinued at the end of MY2012), the Legacy's selling point has been that it's like every other mid-size sedan, but also happens to have AWD. What happens now that there are two sedans like that? :iam:

I wonder that about the new awd Mazda3 and the Impreza as well. Most people in northern states and Canada only care about having awd not how good the awd is. I love Subaru awd because I had driven RAV4s and it doesn’t even feel like awd has any grip in the winter. Audi Quattro is good and very sporty but Subaru awd is something that’s almost made to be driven on loose ground. Who knows how many people actually care about the technical aspects of the system.

I'm not impressed with the AWD Altima, but perhaps that's why I'm an ex-Nissan head. Looks like with enough wheel spin it will overheat the AWD:

But you are right, everyone else is coming out with AWD's, so Subaru needs to up their game (though most Subaru's are cheaper then AWD versions of these new cars still).

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Other than an absolute want for AWD or some misplaced brand loyalty, I don't know why anybody would pick this over the new Accord.

Not a fan of the Accord styling. Too much plastic or something? Also not a fan of the way the Honda infotainment and controls work, not do I care for how it drives.

Yes I’m biased. My wife drives a Honda Pilot AWD that is not that great in the winter. There are many types of Cabernet in the world, there are many types of AWD.

Regarding auto stop start. I didn’t want this feature either until I saved over a gallon of fuel at idle in about 3 weeks. It’s not the $2.50 it’s saving me - it’s the thought about the emissions I’m not burning Times every car on the road. As an environmentalist this tech needs to be all over.

If you drive 100% highway all the time, then yes, it’s useless tech. But if you drive any urban or suburban, the planet thanks you for not adding even more heat to an already bad fire.

If nothing else, auto stop start has solidified my need to get a Forester e-Boxer when they launch.

Yes I’m biased. My wife drives a Honda Pilot AWD that is not that great in the winter. There are many types of Cabernet in the world, there are many types of AWD.

Which year Pilot does your wife drive? All seasons or winter tires?

Regarding auto stop start. I didn’t want this feature either until I saved over a gallon of fuel at idle in about 3 weeks. It’s not the $2.50 it’s saving me - it’s the thought about the emissions I’m not burning Times every car on the road. As an environmentalist this tech needs to be all over.

If you drive 100% highway all the time, then yes, it’s useless tech. But if you drive any urban or suburban, the planet thanks you for not adding even more heat to an already bad fire.

If nothing else, auto stop start has solidified my need to get a Forester e-Boxer when they launch.

I thought it was pretty gimmicky at first too, but when I saw that the tech does require a stronger starter (instead of reusing the the traditional one), and does indeed save a good percentage of fuel I was less turned off of it (pun intended :redface:).

22 Ascent STOCK

Other than an absolute want for AWD or some misplaced brand loyalty, I don't know why anybody would pick this over the new Accord.

Misplaced brand loyalty...lol. How about personal preference, I own a Honda it is the most dispiriting vehicle I have driven in a long long time. And its not that there is anything wrong with it but it just feels so generic. I can't say that about any of the Subarus I have owned they all have had some character and little idiosyncrasies. The excellent crash survivability and safety record alone is worth driving a Subaru. If you recall the people who died from the Takata inflators were driving Hondas.

• I Donated
I own a Honda it is the most dispiriting vehicle I have driven in a long long time. And its not that there is anything wrong with it but it just feels so generic.

Yeah, I feel the same way about my dad's Outback. Except there is something wrong with it. It's gutless and has body roll for days in addition to being generic and boring.

The new Accord is nice. The 2.0T is faster than a WRX and available with a manual. It came down to a choice between it and the Stinger, and I still sometimes wonder if I wouldn't have been just as happy with the Accord and a $10k track car (since the Stinger was $10k more).

If you recall the people who died from the Takata inflators were driving Hondas.

:lol: That's a... special... argument. Nobody here is suggesting cross-shopping a 2003 Accord with a brand-new Legacy. And the new Accords don't use airbags that were recalled five years ago.

Yeah, I feel the same way about my dad's Outback. Except there is something wrong with it. It's gutless and has body roll for days in addition to being generic and boring.

The new Accord is nice. The 2.0T is faster than a WRX and available with a manual. It came down to a choice between it and the Stinger, and I still sometimes wonder if I wouldn't have been just as happy with the Accord and a $10k track car (since the Stinger was $10k more).

:lol: That's a... special... argument. Nobody here is suggesting cross-shopping a 2003 Accord with a brand-new Legacy. And the new Accords don't use airbags that were recalled five years ago.

And you can't say they wont be part of a large recall in the future can you? In 2003 noone was talking about airbag inflators.

The point being noone died in a Subaru due to the inflators malfunctioning, but there were deaths in Honda vehicles, Subaru must be doing something better to not have had any deaths from using the same inflators used in Hondas.

Edit- I am not sure if in your trolling you realize the inflators are still in use in millions of newer vehicles.

• I Donated
And you can't say they wont be part of a large recall in the future can you? In 2003 noone was talking about airbag inflators.

The point being noone died in a Subaru due to the inflators malfunctioning, but there were deaths in Honda vehicles, Subaru must be doing something better to not have had any deaths from using the same inflators used in Hondas.

Edit- I am not sure if in your trolling you realize the inflators are still in use in millions of newer vehicles.

[emoji38]

You do know that the ones that actually caused deaths had not only a flaw in the design, but also in the manufacturing process, right? And that the only thing Honda did differently was buy the earlier inflators that were manufactured wrong?

Your argument contradicts itself. You're right that nobody was talking about inflators in 2003, so how could Honda have known there was not only a problem with the design, but also with the manufacturing process on the early inflators? And if Subaru was so safe, why would they have bought inflators with a major design flaw at all?

And yes, some of the recalls have not yet been completed. My mom's 2016 Tesla has them, but they generally don't go bad for 5+ years, so they are concentrating on older, higher risk vehicles first. No brand new cars still have them.

The new Accord is nice. The 2.0T is faster than a WRX and available with a manual.

My friend has a new Accord with an 2.0T automatic. He regrets buying it and complains at how easily spins the tires off the line unless the conditions are perfect. (He is in his 40's does not want to spin the tires.)

I have to say after owning a 4WD for the first time, I'm never going back to 2WD unless there are no other options.

Even a RWD car just doesn't feel as good on the road. Probably a mental thing as much as anything, the AWD gives you more confidence, especially in wet conditions.

• I Donated
My friend has a new Accord with an 2.0T automatic. He regrets buying it and complains at how easily spins the tires off the line unless the conditions are perfect. (He is in his 40's does not want to spin the tires.)
Sounds like he's a ***** who should have gotten the 1.5T.

Which year Pilot does your wife drive? All seasons or winter tires?

I thought it was pretty gimmicky at first too, but when I saw that the tech does require a stronger starter (instead of reusing the the traditional one), and does indeed save a good percentage of fuel I was less turned off of it (pun intended :redface:).

She has whatever stocks came with the tires, so all seasons. We’ve both run all seasons. Any snow that falls around here is plowed quickly. Nothing rural. I just feel less stable driving the Pilot... same snow, same roads, same everything. Just the vehicle has changed.

Yeah the main issue with the battery is that I’ve heard it’s much more expensive. Can’t just use your Costco jobber in its place.

She has whatever stocks came with the tires, so all seasons. We’ve both run all seasons. Any snow that falls around here is plowed quickly. Nothing rural. I just feel less stable driving the Pilot... same snow, same roads, same everything. Just the vehicle has changed.

The reason I asked about your Pilot's year, current gen has active torque vectoring, which is superior to brake based torque vectoring of Subarus. But if it's still unstable I was curious if it's tire related or the car it self. I personally can't justify snow tires in Virginia, even though I'm in mountains. We do get occasional snow and ice (followed by 60F the next day). Thus I only use All Seasons myself too.

The '12 Outback is actually pretty darn good in the snow, within reason, better then even then the '05 LGT. The electronic stability control is the reason why, thus I would expect any newer Legacy to be on par too.

Now that I think about it, even though Subaru has inferior brake based torque vectoring, that's only useful for getting the car moving, perhaps Subaru's stability control logic is superior?

Yeah the main issue with the battery is that I’ve heard it’s much more expensive. Can’t just use your Costco jobber in its place.

Oh right, I forgot those that they require special batteries too. I can't say I've ever seen those for sale myself in stores, probably specialty shop/dealer only?

22 Ascent STOCK

https://jalopnik.com/can-subaru-make-the-outback-cool-again-1832475741/amp

All garbage.

I swear, I am going to take another break from imports and just drive a Chrysler 300 Hemi - AWD or hund down another old Caddilac with the Northstar V8.

My last domestic / probably Canadian Car was Dodge Magnum RT. It was RWD, 5.7 Hemi V8 and I didn’t die driving it in New England with all season tires in winter.

This is just my personal epinion: Subaru is just playing it safe (again) with their boring ass cars and engines...

They are sticking to their selling points: Boring, Naturally Aspirated Imprezas, Fozzy, Legacy and Outback for the Tofu moms and hipster dads.

I love my outback but I can wait to get away from it due to its boringly design, crappy stereo and lack of features vs. other cars of the same year and class.

I can see that a 2019 3.6R limited with one option will run around $40k est. (give or take) so I can not see myself forking over anything near that for another boring wagon, just because it has a turbo in it.

I will wait to see the price points... it hey they take regular gas.

/\__/\

(='.'=) This is Cat. Copy and paste Cat

(")_(") to help him gain world domination.

Archived