LegacyGT.com

The official 2020 Legacy thread

aac0036

Perhaps now is the time to avoid a new Subaru anyway, while they get their crap figured out. I wouldn't buy a 2019 or 2020 Subaru in light of this news:

A rash of production hitches in Japan has slammed Subaru’s reputation in the home market, torpedoed its Japanese sales and triggered corporate upheaval. The problems are now creeping into the United States in the form of recalls and lost shipments.

“We continue to be concerned that [subaru] is not making the necessary investments and changes fast enough to ensure that vehicles are being produced with the quality the brand and its customers deserve,” the marque’s U.S. National Retail Advisory Board wrote in a Sept. 18 resolution to top Subaru management in the U.S. and Japan after last year’s rollout of the U.S.-built Ascent crossover was marred by a recall.

https://jalopnik.com/subarus-success-in-america-is-pushing-it-to-its-breakin-1832525761

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One question to rule them all....

Did the spec B ever sell well? Because if it tanked then there is your answer on getting a US version of the STI LGT.

If there is a viable market in the US then Subaru would probably make it.

But I think in reality, the budget Legacy (2.5i or whatever they are calling it now ) is probably the biggest seller of the Legacy models. And I bet the Legacy is their 5th or 6th best selling Subaru right now, probably behind all of the SUVs, Outbacks and non-STI Impreza models. So would Subaru consider making a performance version of their 6th(?) best selling model and is their a market for it?

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

Maybe instead of constantly expanding, Subaru should focus on building high quality vehicles within the limits of its' of its production capacity. Growth for the sake of growth isn't sustainable over the long run.

Otoh, it would seem there is a market here for custom vehicles, maybe Subaru should expand the STI production capability to a US plant.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Did the spec B ever sell well? Because if it tanked then there is your answer on getting a US version of the STI LGT.

If there is a viable market in the US then Subaru would probably make it.

Subaru marketed the 4th gen Legacy even less than Chevy marketed the SS, which is actually quite impressive.

Maybe instead of constantly expanding, Subaru should focus on building high quality vehicles within the limits of its' of its production capacity. Growth for the sake of growth isn't sustainable over the long run.

Otoh, it would seem there is a market here for custom vehicles, maybe Subaru should expand the STI production capability to a US plant.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

^will never happen. sales is king. period. subaru has done so well over the past 15yrs getting a piece of the camry/corolla market with AWD alternatives, moving the outback/forrester to get the crossover market, and now the ascent will hit the full SUV market. they already have 2(3 if you think the wrx and sti are different) performance vehicles with MTs. there is no incentive to revisit the 4th/5th gen LGT formula. the WRX has too much overlap at this point.

yes, but you also have to remember that back in 05, the 4th gen GT was one of the fastest cars on the market under 35k.

Being fast alone doesn't sell cars. If it did there should be a huge demand for the SS and 4th gen LGTs. There's just not (wasn't). Dodge over builds the Charger SRT models and they sit a long time on the lot.

Being fast alone doesn't sell cars. If it did there should be a huge demand for the SS and 4th gen LGTs. There's just not (wasn't). Dodge over builds the Charger SRT models and they sit a long time on the lot.

Fast, cheap, and reliable and they would be flying off the lots, lol. But cheap they are not, I think pricing is where the problem is. Most people who want a car just for performance, can't afford them. The ones who want performance and_____...can also afford to move into something more refined and less flashy meaning the SRTs the SS is pretty low key, but that price.

Well we can only but dream of a Legacy STi wagon with 6MT.

Audi almost got it perfect with the A4 and at a quick glance it even looks the same as the new design Subaru STi in the front.

https://www.audi.co.nz/nz/web/en/models/a4/rs-4-avant.html

Okay so you wouldn't sell many of them but I wouldn't underestimate the flow on effect in people buying boring Subarus from the effects of motorsport like when Subaru was really into the rally cars.

Big efforts went into racing both Fords and Holdens in Australia. They "Looked" like the production versions but I doubt there was a single "Stock" part used on them but it was great for sales.

Chances are its all over for the 2020 Legacy, the only hope left for Subaru making a drivers car is the WRX STi.

• I Donated
I think we're still trying to disassemble the '05 TCM, so...

:yeahthat:

I have yet to hear of anyone successfully manual-swapping a 4th gen 5EAT without access to a complete donor car. If you can't do that, why does anyone expect it would be possible on a car that doesn't even have a factory manual version?

Nope.

I remember m sprank saying he bought his 08 Spec.B new in 2010. They couldn't move them. Nobody wanted a $35k Legacy.

:yeahthat:

I remember m sprank saying he bought his 08 Spec.B new in 2010. They couldn't move them. Nobody wanted a $35k Legacy.

That was then, what about now ?

I visited the USA in 1990, there was not a Japanese car on your roads, how things have changed.

• I Donated
That was then, what about now ?

I visited the USA in 1990, there was not a Japanese car on your roads, how things have changed.

I've got news for you... There were plenty of Japanese cars on our roads back then. IIRC, the Accord was the best-selling car that year.

I will give you one thing: the Legacy sucked back then too. The only redeeming features of my 1990 Legacy wagon were that it was a wagon, a stick-shift, and AWD. The new Legacy is one of the three, I suppose...

I've got news for you... There were plenty of Japanese cars on our roads back then. IIRC, the Accord was the best-selling car that year.

I will give you one thing: the Legacy sucked back then too. The only redeeming features of my 1990 Legacy wagon were that it was a wagon, a stick-shift, and AWD. The new Legacy is one of the three, I suppose...

Which may explain why Outback and Forester do pretty OK. They are essentially wagons with AWD.

453747.png

Nope.

yes and no, IIRC Spec B's didn't stay on the market long (at least around here) but there also wasn't many to begin with. It was more along the lines of your second sentence, no one wanted a $35k legacy GT with suede seats, 6 speed and a touch screen.

• I Donated
yes and no, IIRC Spec B's didn't stay on the market long (at least around here) but there also wasn't many to begin with. It was more along the lines of your second sentence, no one wanted a $35k legacy GT with suede seats, 6 speed and a touch screen.
It was actually on the market for four years.

It was even worse in 06, when instead of suede seats and a 6-speed,it had red seats and a 5-speed, and they produced 1500, yet it still was $35k. They finally learned their lesson by 09, when they only built like 200 units.

That being said, the new WRX is highly likely to adopt the 2.4 turbo as well, which means they may introduce a manual transmission that we can easily swap with the legacy xt. Or... Subaru can f**k us over the other way and introduce a CVT only WRX... :dm:

You realize that’s investing over 50k in to a Subaru? After all said and done with labor you could buy 2 base model WRX’s for the cost of that idea.

Here’s a better one, these are rough estimates since I’ve been out of the car game for some time:

Buy a gen 4 LGT or spec B (5k-15k)

-IAG Stage 3 block (8k)

-turbo of your choice (2-3k)

-STI trans, if Spec B you rebuild that trans bc at this point it’s seen better days (5k)

-a good head unit with apple car play and bluetooth($600)

-protune ($500)

-Brembos (3k)

Boom, you have a Subaru of your dreams for less than buying a brand new $35k legacy and spending another $15k+ in parts and labor to swap in a FA20DIT and shitty WRX transmission a brand new car. You’re already out of the warranty performing gender transformation surgery to a brand new legacy and even if you choose to preserve that precious warranty, it’s useless as tits on a bull.

Edited by THE RZA

Why are people obsessed with buying really old cars with crap interiors and rattling everywhere, and dumping 5-6k of money into it to make it a "sporty car"?

Don't you people work? I personaly want a touring legacy, have some sport and comfort.

If I wanted a sporty car I'd get a 340 BMW. It feels like bunch of high school or university kids here with very limited budgets.

• I Donated
Why are people obsessed with buying really old cars with crap interiors and rattling everywhere, and dumping 5-6k of money into it to make it a "sporty car"?

Don't you people work? I personaly want a touring legacy, have some sport and comfort.

If I wanted a sporty car I'd get a 340 BMW. It feels like bunch of high school or university kids here with very limited budgets.

Our point is that if you want to spend $50k on a sporty car there are much better options, and if you want a fast Subaru with no warranty there are much cheaper ways to do it.

Also, the 4th gen LGT has a better interior than many brand new Subarus.

I haven’t found many new cars that have an interior as great as the 4th gen was set up. 4th gen master race.

I love my 4th gen interior except the seats... I wish the seat bottoms were longer and/or had extenders. I find a nice tuck behind the knees really relieves tension on long commutes.. I'm only 5'7. But I am getting older.

Looking at new cars and the seats not satisfying my desires outside of some luxury cars, has me thinking about dropping money on recaro sport seats. They look OEM-ish, appear to have a medium bolstering, but offer the thigh extensions as well as heating/cooling, etc. Sure it would be almost half the value of my wagon, put I could reuse them in my next car?

The 3rd gen legacy outsold the 4th gen by a lot despite the 4th gen being a more refined, and offering a turbo model. I think the main reason does simply come down price point, the 3rd gen's price hit the sweet spot while the 4th gen did not.

Total sales

First-generation Legacy- 824,612

Second-generation Legacy- 961,825

Third-generation Legacy- 902,071

Fourth-generation Legacy- 311,492

Edited by DickDastardly00

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

I haven’t found many new cars that have an interior as great as the 4th gen was set up. 4th gen master race.

4th Gen interior feels nicer then the 5th gen quality wise, but it's not as well thought through for stuff space and cup holders are really lacking.

I might actually get 5th gen just for better snow traction. Even though it has no VLSD, the VDC/brake torque vectoring is superior to the 4th gen on my steep driveway, or when puttering around town.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

You realize that’s investing over 50k in to a Subaru? After all said and done with labor you could buy 2 base model WRX’s for the cost of that idea.

Here’s a better one, these are rough estimates since I’ve been out of the car game for some time:

Buy a gen 4 LGT or spec B (5k-15k)

-IAG Stage 3 block (8k)

-turbo of your choice (2-3k)

-STI trans, if Spec B you rebuild that trans bc at this point it’s seen better days (5k)

-a good head unit with apple car play and bluetooth($600)

-protune ($500)

-Brembos (3k)

Boom, you have a Subaru of your dreams for less than buying a brand new $35k legacy and spending another $15k+ in parts and labor to swap in a FA20DIT and shitty WRX transmission a brand new car. You’re already out of the warranty performing gender transformation surgery to a brand new legacy and even if you choose to preserve that precious warranty, it’s useless as tits on a bull.

Which is why I said it’s better to just buy a manual Audi A4 at that point in a later post. The only reason I would’ve thought of doing that is when the CVT snaps instead of paying Subaru $8000 to replace the transmission, it maybe better to swap for a manual that is more reliable later down the road. The CVT on my car is already acting up, but the current H6 legacy accepts no manual alternative. So I either pray it holds up a bit more or sell it ASAP.

Edited by mehmed_ii