LegacyGT.com

The Official Military Thread

BDII

That's dirty!!!...I've never heard that before!

Submariners usually live in a cleaner world;) Try being in the surface fleet where you have to deal w/Jarheads on a regular basis. You learn to get dirty, fast.

BTW, some of my best friends have been Marines. Semper Fi!

So, a squid and a jarhead go into the USO restroom at the same time. They both stand at the latrine and do their "business". Afterwards, the squid leaves while the jarhead stops to wash his hands.

A few minutes later, the jarhead spots the squid at the bar, and heads over to confront him about his faux pax. The jarhead pipes up and tells the squid,"In the Marines, they taught us to wash our hands after we pee". The squid stops, lowers his beer, and says,"That's pretty neat, but in the Navy, they taught us how to not pee on our hands".

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Retired military here:

4 years U.S. Navy... Vietnam 1967 on Destroyer off the coast with

shore bombardment... 1,000 5-inch rounds in 3-days.

16 years U.S. Coast Guard... retired way back in 1987.

Kept the Russians at bay during Cold War.

Rescued many people during USCG career... arrested many dopers at sea

also. Gave them to the U.S. Marshal Service for prosecution. They ARE

locked-away!

Semper Paratus !

(Always Ready - USCG)

BrightonBoy:)

Retired military here:

locked-away!

Semper Paratus !

(Always Ready - USCG)

welcome to forum and thank you for your service. bosco

see post 95

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Welcome! Have always admired Coasties, especially the pararescuemen (or whatever their real rate is called).

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/2977/comfortingembracevr4.jpg

More info on this guy:

-----

Humble chief gains national attention

Chief comforts Iraqi child

by Staff Sgt. Jeremy Larlee

Air Force Print News

11/10/2006 - MCCONNELL AIR FORCE BASE, Kan. (AFPN) -- All of the attention embarrasses him, but as this chief master sergeant learned recently, a lifetime of caring and good deeds is bound to catch up with you eventually.

Chief Master Sgt. John Gebhardt, superintendent of the 22nd Wing Medical Group here, recently gained worldwide attention for a photo of him holding an injured Iraqi child. The photo was taken about a month ago, while he was deployed to Balad Air Base in Iraq.

The young infant had received extensive gunshot injuries to her head when insurgents attacked her family killing both of her parents and many of her siblings. The chief had a knack for comforting her and they often would catch a cat nap together in a chair.

Now, he is back at home in Wichita, Kan., with his wife, Mindy. They have a warm, hospitable home five minutes away from McConnell Air Force Base. His son Ryan, 25, and daughter Amber, 23, have long since outgrown being cradled and he said he thought about them constantly while he held the Iraqi child.

"I got as much enjoyment out of it as the baby did," he said. "I reflected on my own family and life and thought about how lucky I have been."

His affection for children is no secret to his wife, Mindy. While dating John in high school, she watched how he bonded with the child of a coach of one of his athletic teams. That softer side of him is one of the reasons she married him.

"People see him as this tough guy," she said, "but I always see that other side of him that is full of compassion."

The chief, who grew up in Jordan, New York, is not at home in the spotlight. When asked to talk about himself, he always tries to switch the focus to the other military people who served with him at Balad.

While deployed to Iraq, the chief tried to help out any way he could. He figured holding a baby that needed comforting that would free up one more set of arms that could be providing care to more critical patients.

"If I have an opportunity to help out, I look for that opportunity," he said. "They had more than enough to do."

The chief was not alone in volunteering at the hospital. There were more than 800 different volunteers at the hospital during the time he was deployed to Iraq, he said. Some of them volunteered so much that he mistakenly thought they were assigned to the hospital.

When Mindy describes the best qualities of her husband, the first word out of her mouth is integrity. She said the photo of her husband and the Iraqi child truly represents him. She believes he has been so successful because he is such a straight-shooter and puts others' welfare ahead of his own.

"He never leads anyone astray," she said. "He will never do something for himself that would have a negative effect on someone else. He always tells it like it is."

But, the chief attributes his success to his family.

"Without their support I don't know where I would be," he said. "I definitely wouldn't be in the position I am."

And it is the chief's hope that families in Iraq will receive the same kind of support in the future. They are just like American families, Chief Gebhardt said.

"I pray for the best for the Iraqi children," he said. "I can't tell the difference between their kids and our kids. The Iraqi parents have the same care and compassion for their children as any American."

Life is calmer for Chief Gebhardt now that he is back home, and even though his recent "fame" has highlighted an eventful 27-year career, he said he wouldn't change a thing.

"If I had to do it over again, I would sign up and give it another ride," he said.

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123031670&page=2

Andy :) | My Whips :redface:

Sorry, I'll take my 13 button "Marine serving platter" over all others.......:lol:
:lol:

Before the US Coast Guard switched over to their new uniform, they wore

the Donald Duckers too... except with a little "shield" on one arm.

Well, we used to call the 13 button flap:

A Marine Bib.

A Marine Tablecloth.

Crusty, old salty language of a sailorman... hee hee:eek:

Regards, BrightonBoy

USCG -ret-

Before the US Coast Guard switched over to their new uniform, they wore

the Donald Duckers too... except with a little "shield" on one arm.

Well, we used to call the 13 button flap:

A Mariine Bib.

A Marine Tablecloth.

Crusty, old salty language of a sailorman... hee hee:eek:

Regards, BrightonBoy

USCG -ret-

There is something to be said for the bond we shared w/our brothers while deployed. That crusty, old salt thing worked well, as it hid the tears of joy(and pain) that came along with the job. Sometimes I loved it, sometimes I hated it; I will always remember it fondly.

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

Welcome! Have always admired Coasties, especially the pararescuemen (or whatever their real rate is called).

pararescue is air force. coast guard has rescue swimmers, i think that is what they are atleast:confused:

stage 2

There is something to be said for the bond we shared w/our brothers while deployed. That crusty, old salt thing worked well, as it hid the tears of joy(and pain) that came along with the job. Sometimes I loved it, sometimes I hated it; I will always remember it fondly.

True indeed !

Yah, the Navy pukes would always call me a "pier queer" or

as in the US Coast Guard movie "The Guardian"... a "puddle pirate."

Didn't bother me though...

Also when i was Nav... we called submariners "bubbleHeads."

Today i call a Navy sailor a "squid".

Things don't really change.... the humor was needed when under

pressure.

Matter of fact... I heard a Navy chief call a femal sailor a "split-tail"...:lol:

The saltier the better, the crustier, the better...

"Let's not waterski here... we're going to DIVE !":eek:

Later Comrads (from old USSR Cold War and Nam days)...

BrightonBoy

USCG -ret-

See 5 photos below...

Midgett_WHEC726_Alaska.thumb.jpg.c8c3dc1113d8a7f701467884ab561807.jpg

Coast_Guard_Cutter.jpg.9393f20a6bb6150c174c9cd82c55bd01.jpg

959437402_USCGCUTTERCITRUSWLBin1973.jpg.922984fe69d408677b7804ad5087e17b.jpg

USCG_SPECIAL_OPS.jpg.0c956f8b62957ec752dd1c9dec7b7811.jpg

USCG_chick.jpg.74a4df3f2dfbac1a738574805cc91238.jpg

pararescue is air force. coast guard has rescue swimmers, i think that is what they are at least:confused:

:) You SIR are correct... the USCG Rescue Swimmer IS correct.:)

Go rent the DVD Movie called "The Guardian" to see what the

Rescue Swimmers are all about... the plot and scenes ARE true to life

USCG operations. They did well making that movie... true as can be.

I liked the movie so much i actually bought a copy of it.

(I usually don't blow money that way...but I did on that one).

Excellant flick.

Later... BrightonBoy:)

True indeed !

Yah, the Navy pukes would always call me a "pier queer" or

as in the US Coast Guard movie "The Guardian"... a "puddle pirate."

Didn't bother me though...

Also when i was Nav... we called submariners "bubbleHeads."

Today i call a Navy sailor a "squid".

Things don't really change.... the humor was needed when under

pressure.

Matter of fact... I heard a Navy chief call a femal sailor a "split-tail"...:lol:

The saltier the better, the crustier, the better...

"Let's not waterski here... we're going to DIVE !":eek:

Later Comrads (from old USSR Cold War and Nam days)...

BrightonBoy

USCG -ret-

See 5 photos below...

My brother served on Woodrush in Sitka, Rush in Alameda, and an 82 footer out of Naples back in the 80's

Retired military here:

locked-away!

Semper Paratus !

(Always Ready - USCG)

Hooray for the "Hooligan Navy":lol::lol:

I am a lighthouse keeper every year for a month or two. I am glad to see the CG, they are all a great bunch of guys. They have provided some great cook outs at the lighthouse and I always have hot coffee, soda's and snacks when ever they stop by.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Little late here bu11dogg et al.

USMC

Sgt.

Jul. 1985 - Jul. 1989 Active, '89-'93 reserve.

Started at PI, then pretty much everywhere!

(incl. sandboxes and 29 stumps)

Semper Fi,

lizard.

Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

Hooray for the "Hooligan Navy":lol::lol:

I am a lighthouse keeper every year for a month or two. I am glad to see the CG, they are all a great bunch of guys. They have provided some great cook outs at the lighthouse and I always have hot coffee, soda's and snacks when ever they stop by.

:lol::lol:

Oh heck ya! I remember when our "big white one" (378ft cutter) was on

Alaskan Patrol.... it was a weekend day... the ship pulled into a cove along

the Aleutian Islands and dropped anchor. A nice day, summer.... and we

had a fantail cookout with burgers etc..... a Killer Whale attacked our ship...

it actually bounced off our hull twice..... then swam away.....

apparently it didn't like us there in its territory... no damage to the ship...

i imagine the whale got a bruise

though...:).

another time in the Aleutians, we pulled into a old native fishing village

with cannery.... we docked there overnight.... we showed movies and

made pizza for the local natives.... popcorn and soda too.

The natives brought us FRESH CANNED CRAB....we dunked it in melted

butter...... ah man that way good ! ! !

Coast Guard is alright... enjoyed it.

Regards, BrightonBoy:)

...so they can walk to shore when their ship sinks.

old one... obviously you are unaware of the United States Coast Guard.

Advice Tommy: "Words without thought, never to Heaven go..."

If you need to be saved Tommy, call them... they will be there.

Enough said.

Ok, I've got this question that's been bothering me.

Is it true that all Coast Guard recruits have to be at least 6 feet tall?

I heard they changed it to 8 ft, that way they can get hazard pay......:lol:

BTW, we had some Coasties onboard in the Red Sea helping us with VBSS ops. Those guys knew their sh1t.

old one... obviously you are unaware of the United States Coast Guard.

Advice Tommy: "Words without thought, never to Heaven go..."

If you need to be saved Tommy, call them... they will be there.

Enough said.

I never get to be around Coasties...though I was stationed across the river from the acadamy (New London) for about 9 years. I never talked to any of them, they smelled funny.

I never go to sea unless it's in a submarine, so...If we sink...well for the most part we're SOL...and kinda suppost to...

eh, if bubbleheaded squids didn't pick on the muddy water navy there would be something very, very wrong in the world.

Martin Luther - "Who loves not women, wine and song remains a fool his whole life long."

EL4NFZT7

I heard they changed it to 8 ft, that way they can get hazard pay......:lol:

BTW, we had some Coasties onboard in the Red Sea helping us with VBSS ops. Those guys knew their sh1t.

:eek:

Thanks for the kind comment...:)

Regards, Scootski

I never get to be around Coasties...though I was stationed across the river from the acadamy (New London) for about 9 years. I never talked to any of them, they smelled funny.

I never go to sea unless it's in a submarine, so...If we sink...well for the most part we're SOL...and kinda suppost to...

eh, if bubbleheaded squids didn't pick on the muddy water navy there would be something very, very wrong in the world.

Well, it is international courtesy for ANY VESSEL AT SEA TO AID OTHER VESSELS

in a time of distress. Even during the Cold War, the Soviets would help others

and of course we helped the Soviets.

Subs eh, no water-ski'ng there ! Go deep, go quiet.....

I read where the commie chinese are building 5 new nukey subs....and they

are quieter than ours:eek: ....a sign of the future....

did you know that the Soviet subs tracked all our aircraft carriers....

in the sonar shadow-zone... and that the Soviet boats had two nukey

torpedoes.... one in the forward tube and one in the aft tube....

to NUKE our carrier if need be....:eek:

I read a book on that....

Their nuke torpedo was equiv to 10k nuke device.

ok, i'll stop now....

Regards, Scootski

there is no sonar shadow zone on a carrier - they don't have sonars installed. However, there are sonars on the accompanying battle group frigates, destroyers, and cruisers; as well as dipping sonars on the helocopters carried on all of the above, and dropped sonobouys from helos and P-3 Orions.

during the cold war, we pretty much tracked every soviet sub as it left port, then followed it using the SOSUS system, then got real serious when they got near battle groups.

did you know that the primary reason a fast attack sub (like the Los Angeles) is part of a carrier battle group is anti-sub warfare? they'd sit in the sonar shadow zone of the sub - with the ability to launch a Mk-48 if they heard the soviets opening the outer doors on their torpedo tubes.

BTW, nuke torpedos = suicide for the sub. the pressure wave from <5 miles away > hull strength. 10KT underwater FTL.

pretty much felt the same way about the nuke ASROC - setting off several KT within 5 miles is theoretically possible, but probably wouldn't be much fun.

"ass to the blast till the base surge has passed" was the concept for an "over the shoulder" ASROC engagement - meaning crank the ship up to 30+ knots, heading away from the target sub, then launch the ASROC at max rear traverse, at near max range. then keep it wide open till the wave from the underwater explosion goes over you - meanwhile activating the water wash down system to try to keep the radioactivity to a minimum.

Ah, good old Weapons Systems 300 and 400 - classes from junior and senior year at USNA...

First off, I would like to thank everyone who serve's, or served our country.

These brave Men and Women risk their lives every day to protect our freedom.

I wanted to start this thread in honor of Veterans Day which is next week.

If you serve, or have served, or just want to say thank you, drop in make a post.

If you serve or are prior active, reserve, or guard, put down your info

1. Branch

2. Rank

3. Dates served

4. Duty station

also Im trying to make a list of currently deployed LegacyGT owners

here is what I have so far.

1. Andrew.Anderson -Iraq ]

here is what this thread was suppose to be about and now it's turned into a chat thread. start another thread if you all want to discuss the details of service life. as you were. :) bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

or just want to say thank you

I just want to say thank you to feersum dreadnaught and BrightonBoy for keeping this thread growing and helping me to relive the memories of my own service

Archived