BDII

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Navy's quotas for FY07 Chiefs came out recently. The bottom dropped out of the percentage for my rate. It kinda figures, this is the first year I'm eligible for Chief.

Advancement board results should be out sometime in the next two weeks.

Martin Luther - "Who loves not women, wine and song remains a fool his whole life long."

EL4NFZT7

The Navy's quotas for FY07 Chiefs came out recently. The bottom dropped out of the percentage for my rate. It kinda figures, this is the first year I'm eligible for Chief.

Advancement board results should be out sometime in the next two weeks.

This is just your first look though, right? No big deal.

I'm between commands right now going to schools until mid-September. My current next command is an awesome job, opportunity, and in general very cool it's also on the other side of the country in Bangor WA, a great place. If I make Chief (E-7) this set of orders are dissolved as they are for a First Class P.O. (E-6), and I'll have to renegotiate for new orders to somewhere in the fleet where I’ll be needed.

Please don't get me wrong, I'll be very ok if I don't make it as everything is currently in motion for that, and I'm very excited for the challenge of the first SSGN. On the other hand, I want to be a Chief.

I personally just dislike ambiguity and waiting for information.

Martin Luther - "Who loves not women, wine and song remains a fool his whole life long."

EL4NFZT7

Good luck and I hope you'll be putting on khakis soon.

This happened to me between DSs and was re-routed to another position while in transit. It can be done but your HHG make take a while to catch up with you, especially if the new DS is on the other side of the world...lol

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

wow, I never noticed this thread. Good stuff.

USN here too

AM2

1997-2001

VFA-87

Hey guys I heard from a friend of mine who is still in that the navy is starting to requiring PO's to have an Associates now, and e-7+ to get a bachelors. Is this true? He's also debating about getting out now, but I told him he should just stick it out and finish up and retire since he will have put in 10 years I think when he is eligible to get out.

And good luck Tommy on making chief!!! hooya shipmate

(edited) for some spelling lol

Good luck and I hope you'll be putting on khakis soon.

This happened to me between DSs and was re-routed to another position while in transit. It can be done but your HHG make take a while to catch up with you, especially if the new DS is on the other side of the world...lol

SBT

Very true, but this is why I've currently scheduled the sale/closing of my house and HHG move as close to the end of my last school and well after the Chiefs board results will be out. So right now, while I'm between commands and going to schools, I'm living in my own house. I'll also say that in this case, for the most part, I'm glad that I don't have any dependants (wife, kids, etc.); that has got to be insane for them.

Otherwise, I'm chomping at the bit for the board results. I hope my record is good enough, however I don't know if I'll make it due to missing qualifications. I was too junior and too busy (lame excuse, I know) when I left my last sea-going command to qualify the "Chief" watch stations on my boat (DC, COW, DOOW).

EL4NFZT7

Very true, but this is why I've currently scheduled the sale/closing of my house and HHG move as close to the end of my last school and well after the Chiefs board results will be out. So right now, while I'm between commands and going to schools, I'm living in my own house. I'll also say that in this case, for the most part, I'm glad that I don't have any dependants (wife, kids, etc.); that has got to be insane for them.

Otherwise, I'm chomping at the bit for the board results. I hope my record is good enough, however I don't know if I'll make it due to missing qualifications. I was too junior and too busy (lame excuse, I know) when I left my last sea-going command to qualify the "Chief" watch stations on my boat (DC, COW, DOOW).

WRT the HHG and the house - Good plan.

WRT missing quals - Git 'em done... if anything will "notch" you upward, it's having those individual CPO quals complete and in your record. Most of the CPO-candidates that I've reviewed were missing several key pieces and while not disaqualifying, dropped them further down the consideration list.

SBT

USN here too

AM2

1997-2001

VFA-87

Hey guys I heard from a friend of mine who is still in that the navy is starting to requiring PO's to have an Associates now, and e-7+ to get a bachelors. Is this true? He's also debating about getting out now, but I told him he should just stick it out and finish up and retire since he will have put in 10 years I think when he is eligible to get out.

(edited) for some spelling lol

According to what I see in the Navy Knowledge Online, the only requirement for a degree is for promotion to E8 which requires an AA for those competing in the 2011 selection process.

I'm not sure if there are additional requirements but I would look for them as the Navy continues to ramp up its Human Capitalization Program.

SBT

WRT missing quals - Git 'em done... if anything will "notch" you upward, it's having those individual CPO quals complete and in your record. Most of the CPO-candidates that I've reviewed were missing several key pieces and while not disaqualifying, dropped them further down the consideration list.

No shit! I've been on shore duty and didn't have a chance to be a rider on a boat to do them. I left the boat as an E-5 with two years TIR and the LPO of a junior and busy division, and at that point felt burnt out and completely uninterested in taking on any more duties or tasking.

EL4NFZT7

USN here too

AM2

1997-2001

VFA-87

Welcome to the thread, where is/was VFA-87 out of or attached to?

In the very near future that will be a requirement for advancement to E-7, E-8, and E-9. I believe it's possibly one of the better things the Navy can implement to improve the quality of its senior sailors, and better our prospects when we get out. With as much OJT we get/have and the Navy schools that we go too this is a very reasonable set of goals/requirement.

Hey thanks.

EL4NFZT7

No shit! I've been on shore duty and didn't have a chance to be a rider on a boat to do them. I left the boat as an E-5 with two years TIR and the LPO of a junior and busy division, and at that point felt burnt out and completely uninterested in taking on any more duties or tasking.

I hear ya. There comes a point where you just want to get back to sea duty to get some normalcy back. Or, if you're pulling BTB sea duty tours and you finally get to shore duty, it's like woo hoo, time to chill. It's difficult to find the balance but it comes down to realistic goal setting and prioritizing the critical few that you need to get done.

Sounds like you've done well and we're all pulling for you. Good luck. If you're in San Diego, hit me up and I'll buy you a beer.

SBT

Okay...too much Navy jargon. :lol:

We even have a Navy battalion that works for us and only half of your conversations make sense. :icon_bigg

Shhh....it's in code...

:icon_bigg

EL4NFZT7

According to what I see in the Navy Knowledge Online, the only requirement for a degree is for promotion to E8 which requires an AA for those competing in the 2011 selection process.

I'm not sure if there are additional requirements but I would look for them as the Navy continues to ramp up its Human Capitalization Program.

SBT

gtw subie, I'll let my boy know that he doesn't have to worry about it so much.

@tommy, Well we were first in Jax, FL and after our 99 cruise went up to Oceana in Virginia Beach. And now my boy is telling me they want to close down Oceana too when several new building have just been built. And he has no idea where 87 will go now. He is now attached to VFA-15 which is our sister squadron so where they go 87 usually follows lol.

So when will it be required for e-7+ to have those post high school education requirements? Will it be 2011 like what subie said?

Okay...too much Navy jargon. :lol:

We even have a Navy battalion that works for us and only half of your conversations make sense. :icon_bigg

lol, the same could be said for you guys when you are around us. :icon_bigg

Shhh....it's in code...

:icon_bigg

good stuff, it's always good to talk to fellow vets no matter what branch they are a part of...:woowoo:

1. US Army RA xx xxx xxx

2. Sp 4

3. 31 july 68 to 31 july 70

4. 13A10 Fld Arty

5. 9 jan 69 thur 8 jan 70 Viet Nam

6. 54th Arty Gp, Btry B 2d Bn 35th Arty

7. spent 9 mo. as support unit with The First Australian Task Force. 3 mo. as support for the US Army 11th Armored Calvary

8. M109 SP Howitzer

9. Expert (rifle) 1st Cl Gnr (M-79 GL)

10. Basic - Ft. Leonard Wood Mo.

11. AIT - Ft Sill Ok.

12. Ft Hood Tx. 23rd Arty Group after Viet Nam

13. inactive reserve 1 Aug 70 to 30 jul 74

14. Honorable Discharge 30 jul 74

btw. the Aussies are some of the best soliders i have seen, very well trained and know how to drink beer. spent my R&R in Sidney good people.

bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

1. Thank you for your service.

2. +1 to the above statement.

+100 Aussies saved my bacon in a bar in Korea during a Joint exercise. Tough as friggen nails.

If you can afford College, you probably don't need to go.

Are you going to the Markus dairy meat? If not we'll have to get together for a beer (or whatever) before you trip on over to the sandbox and/or I slide on over to the left coast.

EL4NFZT7