LegacyGT.com

The Official Military Thread

BDII

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mr_luv shell back here too that day was a bitch we started at 1AM day of and finished around 1300

1) USN

2) IS3

3) 90-94 (gulf vet)

4) NAS Miramar (TOP GUN) and USS NIMITZ Aircraft Carrier.

I cant believe we have this many squids on here!

-Tronix(shellback)GT

Mr.350

I just got my next set of orders last week. I'm heading out to the left coast to try out the boomer lifestyle...sort of. I'm going to SSGN 726 Ohio (Blue) to be the Vertical FTLPO.

:icon_bigg

Two of my friends one is a STS2 and the other is a YN2 are heading to the same boat.

Small Navy.

SSBN (or SSGN):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a2/Ohio-class_submarine_launches_Trident_ICBMs_(artist_concept).jpg/300px-Ohio-class_submarine_launches_Trident_ICBMs_(artist_concept).jpg

SSN:

http://www.usmilitaryart.com/SSN725-mini.jpg

Your going to have to translate what that means to us land lovers.

Translated

I just got my next set of orders last week. I'm heading out to the left coast... - Read: The Navy is sending me from the East Coast (likely) to the West Coast

...to try out the boomer lifestyle...sort of. - Read: I'm going to a former Nuclear Fleet Ballistic Missile (FBM) Trident Class submarine (SSBN), known as "Boomers" in submarine parlance. SSBN = SS (Submarine) B (Ballistic) N (Nuclear). Some of the Ohio class have been converted to SSGN = SS (Submarine) G (Guided Missile) N (Nuclear) and therefore tommyh indicates that he is being assigned to a "boomer...sort of". More SSBN info here.

I'm going to SSGN 726 Ohio (Blue) to be the Vertical FTLPO. - Read: I'm going to be assigned to the USS OHIO - lead submarine of the Trident Class Subs - which has been converted from SSBN to SSGN. He'll be assigned as the Vertical Launch Fire Control (FT) Leading Petty Officer on the Blue Crew. There are two patrol crews for each "boomer", a Blue Crew and a Gold Crew which alternate patrols so the crew can rest, train/turnover and restock before going out on their next patrol. Patrol length is typically 70-80 days with a 20-25 day turnaround before the ship redeploys for its next patrol.

I think I got most of that right. It's been awhile since I stepped aboard so my recollection may not be completely accurate.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

What is up sith all the Sailors posting. Where are the Army folks?

They're in Iraq and Afghanistan killing the bad guys. The rest just got back or are training to go back soon for the 2nd, 3rd or 4th year-long tour.

Translated

I just got my next set of orders last week. I'm heading out to the left coast... - Read: The Navy is sending me from the East Coast (likely) to the West Coast

...to try out the boomer lifestyle...sort of. - Read: I'm going to a former Nuclear Fleet Ballistic Missile (FBM) Trident Class submarine (SSBN), known as "Boomers" in submarine parlance. SSBN = SS (Submarine) B (Ballistic) N (Nuclear). Some of the Ohio class have been converted to SSGN = SS (Submarine) G (Guided Missile) N (Nuclear) and therefore tommyh indicates that he is being assigned to a "boomer...sort of". More SSBN info here.

I'm going to SSGN 726 Ohio (Blue) to be the Vertical FTLPO. - Read: I'm going to be assigned to the USS OHIO - lead submarine of the Trident Class Subs - which has been converted from SSBN to SSGN. He'll be assigned as the Vertical Launch Fire Control (FT) Leading Petty Officer on the Blue Crew. There are two patrol crews for each "boomer", a Blue Crew and a Gold Crew which alternate patrols so the crew can rest, train/turnover and restock before going out on their next patrol. Patrol length is typically 70-80 days with a 20-25 day turnaround before the ship redeploys for its next patrol.

I think I got most of that right. It's been awhile since I stepped aboard so my recollection may not be completely accurate.

SBT

yup, that's it.

Martin Luther - "Who loves not women, wine and song remains a fool his whole life long."

EL4NFZT7

• 3 weeks later...

Army

Enlisted as an 11B then went to OCS and got out as an O3.

Infantry OSUT 81; OCS 82; BAC 82; AOBC (Cavalry) 82-83; Ranger Class 5-83; Plt Ldr and Staff Officer, 3rd Squadron, 7th Cavalry, 3rd ID FRG 83-85.

GarryMFowen

U.S. Army 14J48

SFC

Currently intstructing at Ft.Bliss

Deployments include IFOR, SFOR w/ 1ID and OIF w/ 4th "Ivy" Division 1st BDE Raider...

Duty stations...Larson Barracks, GE, Ft.Bliss, TX, Osan AB, RoK, Ft. Hood, TX

THANKS TO THE FELLOW VETS AND ALL THEY DO!!!!

Hooah, Raiders, yall got Saddam! Colonel Hickey (then LT) was in 3-7 Cav, he signed over his platoon to me. Smart, hard working guy.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Army

Enlisted as an 11B then went to OCS and got out as an O3.

Infantry OSUT 81; OCS 82; BAC 82; AOBC (Cavalry) 82-83; Ranger Class 5-83; Plt Ldr and Staff Officer, 3rd Squadron, 7th Cavalry, 3rd ID FRG 83-85.

GarryMFowen

Combat Arms is the way to go. You went to Ranger school back when they had four phases. How many days was it then? 70 something?

• 2 months later...
Combat Arms is the way to go. You went to Ranger school back when they had four phases. How many days was it then? 70 something?
I went to the very last class - 5-83 - before they added the desert phase. We had two eight hour breaks and I think it went 60 or 62 days. The class graduated April 7 - 23 years ago today. There's a graduation today and a family friend in a Ranger Batt is graduating!

If you think that dates me - I was the second oldest graduate in the class and turned 30 the day we jumped into Eglin AFB.

That was pre-internet but the Ranger class photos on now on the RTB website. Even for those of us with muskets.....

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I went to the very last class - 5-83 - before they added the desert phase. We had two eight hour breaks and I think it went 60 or 62 days. The class graduated April 7 - 23 years ago today. There's a graduation today and a family friend in a Ranger Batt is graduating!

If you think that dates me - I was the second oldest graduate in the class and turned 30 the day we jumped into Eglin AFB.

That was pre-internet but the Ranger class photos on now on the RTB website. Even for those of us with muskets.....

I loved my time as an Infantry Platoon Leader and an Anti-Tank XO. Other then the long long hours I would happily go back. It is satisfying being part of a team of motivated, like minded professionals . That is part of the reason I am still in the Army and part of the reason I am looking at getting out.

Andrew that's a hard decision to make. Usually if you have a good record you can get a company command. But then you're looking at staff jobs for years before you have a shot at BN XO. Then there's always a lot of competition for a BN command. And you had the risk, privation, and demands on family to all of it. Of course, there are the rewards you've stated.

When I went in my friends thought I'd gone insane. Respect for the military was at a low - the late 70's was a terrible time. Now that's changed, at least.

A good friend of mine was from an Army family (his father was SF in Vietnam) and married a woman from similar background. He did his company command and got out. He's happy with the decision. I did the test in the back of "What Color is your Parachute" before I got out (worthless unless you do) and it put me on the path I've been on to start my own business. I recommend "The Three Boxes of Life" by the same author, Jan Bolles, as a way to frame the decision.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Archived