LegacyGT.com

Clutch slipping

GearJamr

Hey,

I've got an 05 LGT (wagon - irrelevant I suppose) that has started to have the clutch slip. 1st and 2nd gear are okay, but in 3rd and 4th once the boost gets up the engine will rev up and the car doesn't have a linear increase in speed. So, engine goes but speed doesn't match. I have not had it in 5th to check if it slips there, but will assume it does.

I got this car in November, and AFAIK it is all stock. Being that it has around 140K kms (so 75-80K miles) I'm thinking the OE clutch is starting to let go. I figure me best course of action is a new clutch.

Is there anything else I should be looking at? I'm thinking of an Exedy Stage 2 clutch which is overkill right now, but I am planning for the near-ish future of adding an uppipe/downpipe and exhaust for a little engine thrill bump.

TIA

You should get a 07-09 Legacy GT SMFW too and 8 bolts for the FW. You'll need a Torx t-50+ to remove the old DMFW.

Here's my old Spec LWFW and torx bolts

DSCN4723.thumb.JPG.babdeec9751b5e31d69c42bba3cf7764.JPG

I now have a 07-09 OEM SMFW and Spec 2+ clutch. I have had good luck with the Spec 2+

You'll want a decent clutch for the car. lot's of info here.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 weeks later...
Well, due to budget constraints, for now I have just gone with an Exedy OEM replacement kit. Suspension is my main replace/upgrade area of focus right now with the body running a close second (lots of dings, dents and a few rust areas developing). Looks like the power adders will have to wait a bit.

Archived