LegacyGT.com

Paintless "dent" repair for slight ding in bumper

rotaryracer

When I picked my car up about a month ago, I noticed a very faint circular depression with a faint linear depression above it in the rear bumper cap. Once I noticed it, I immediately knew what it was - some yahoo on the dealer lot nosed another car too close and tapped the rear bumper with a front license plate and holder. The dealer was great about agreeing to fix it, but here's the catch. They want to bring in a guy that touches up their used cars, have the depression filled and sanded, and then fade-in some silver paint. I'm VERY concerned about doing paint/body work on a brand new car with less than 2000 miles. Anyone ever heard of doing paintless work on plastic bumper caps? Can they be lightly heated to reform back to shape? I am NOT attempting it, just wondering if pros can/would do this. The dealer doesn't offer a paintless service, but I really don't want to have problems in a few years with the finish on the bumper due to a cheapie fix. Any thoughts/feedback would be appreciated! Jason

I picked up my LGT last week and noticed a small ding on the rear passenger door. It was small, but noticeable so I wanted it fixed. They said they had a paintless dent repair guy come in often to fix things like this all the time. I was a little worried at first it might never look good. But after dropping off the car then coming back after it was done I can't even find where the ding was before, the job was done perfectly, and the dealer even washed the car for me :) So here is the thing about paintless dent repair, first, the paint has to be intact if you want it to look perfect again. If their is a scratch/chip/flake or anything it will never look perfect, it would need touch up paint at the very least to cover the primer. But if you don't see any paint problems they should be able to get it out with paintless dent repair. the only thing I could think of holding that option back would be if their is no way for the guy to get his tool to where the dent is. Usually what they do is go behind the sheet metal and push the ding/dent out. Good luck with your car, and post pics of how it turns out if you can.

When I bought my car that was just unloaded from the truck I looked it over and noticed small scrapes under the front bumper like it bottomed out on something unloading it. I told the sales guy and he said they would touch it up. I said no way do I want any paint work on the front bumper because it always chips once it's repainted. I ended up making them swap out a front bumper cover off a wagon instead. Someone with the wagon got the touched up front bumper. :cry:

Let the dealer fix it with their paint guy, there is no easy way to fix plastic other than sanding it down, filling it, and respraying. Silver is an easy color to blend so it should look perfect when its done. If you do this though, after its done run your hand over the bumper and feel the paint, if you notice any inconsitencies make them replace the bumper cover. My family owns an auto-body and we do this for some of the local dealers. Everything should work out as long as the guy painting it knows what he is doing.

[quote name='SC GT']Paintless dent removal doesn't work with plastic. I have a "home use" version (the Ding King?), and it is only effective on flat (i.e., non-crease) metal dings.[/quote] PDR for plastic is basically epoxy filler, and touch up paint, not that that is the best option. BTW, how well does your "ding-king" work? I have some old hail damage in my truck's aluminum hood, and was thinking about getting one of those.

[quote name='IwannaSportSedan'][quote name='SC GT']Paintless dent removal doesn't work with plastic. I have a "home use" version (the Ding King?), and it is only effective on flat (i.e., non-crease) metal dings.[/quote] PDR for plastic is basically epoxy filler, and touch up paint, not that that is the best option. BTW, how well does your "ding-king" work? I have some old hail damage in my truck's aluminum hood, and was thinking about getting one of those.[/quote] I'd say it works "okay." I bought it to pull a bunch of door dings I have on a '95 Impreza LX that I picked up (which had a bunch), and it completely did away with some, has lessened some, and has slightly overpulled some. I'll tap back the overpulled dents eventually, with the right tool. It doesn't look perfect, but it looks better than it did, and part of it's ineffectiveness had to do with my lack of skill. In any event, it helped and didn't hurt my car. It's worth a shot considering you can buy one on ebay for around $20 shipped.

Stopped by the Honda dealer where we had some paintless dent work done on my wife's Civic. I was absolutely amazed with what he was able to do on sheetmetal. And that's the problem....he said there's really nothing he can do on the bumper. He said I could try warming it with a hair dryer on low and it *might* help, but probably not much unless I could get behind the plastic cover and give it a push out. I really don't know if I like the idea of filling, sanding, and painting on factory paint. If it looks like crap in two years, I don't think I would have much recourse. I'm tempted to mentally block it from my mind and just move on to other things....it just pisses me off that I dropped close to $30K and got a bumper ding at no extra charge..... :evil:

Guest *Jedimaster*
It's your car, they focked it up and you should have it back to factory specs, not some el cheapo fix. PDR is great on sheetmetal though.

With all these dealers saying that they get dent repair guys into fix their cars ALL THE TIME, dont you think some of their employees need a BIG HEAD SLAP. Hmm that may help so they dont need to get these dent guys in all the time. Message to all Fellow Aussies..... The Dent King is the best going around these shores that I know of. I believe they have an operation in each capital city....... All the best. Adam

[quote name='Joef']Let the dealer fix it with their paint guy, there is no easy way to fix plastic other than sanding it down, filling it, and respraying. Silver is an easy color to blend so it should look perfect when its done. If you do this though, after its done run your hand over the bumper and feel the paint, if you notice any inconsitencies make them replace the bumper cover. My family owns an auto-body and we do this for some of the local dealers. Everything should work out as long as the guy painting it knows what he is doing.[/quote] Joe, any sense of the longevity of this kind of repair? I'm sure it's highly dependent on who is doing the work, but is this a few year fix and it starts cracking or is it permanent? With the bumper cap plastic, I'm worried heat expansion/cold contraction (I live in Rochester, NY!) would wreak havoc on the repair. Thx! Jason

Just had the dent king remove the small dent in my drivers side rear door yesterday. I had all the dents removed in my 92 Civic two years ago while it was getting the body kit and custom paint. Yes it is amzing to see a 1992 car with no dents. They do a great job. As for the bumpers I would listen to the body shop guy that posted above. I deal with a restoration shop so these guy's are real picky. They don't let just anybody touch the cars.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Sorry I have not responded sooner. But, to give an idea of how long the work will last is highly dependant on who does the work. For instance my family's buisness gives a lifetime guarentee on all the work. And in my 8 years there I don't remember anyone comming back other than to say how happy they are with the work.

Archived