LegacyGT.com

2005 lgt ecu reset

Hello all I recently had a boost leak on my 2005 Subaru Legacy GT so of course I had to limp it home and fix it my question I have is what is proper procedure to reset the ECU so the car has to relearn everything all over I clear the check engine codes started it and it was idling rough and wanted to die if I feather the throttle in the garage am i doing something completely incorrect and I do have a stage 2 flash on it. I was reading that I should disconnect the battery but I didn't need to disconnect the battery all I did was reset the ECU please let me know I would greatly appreciate it. I guess I'm reading a bunch of stuff that I don't know what to believe should I disconnect the battery or just reset the ECU and let it idle for 10 minutes or what do I need to do in order for the car to run good again? If anybody wants to contact me they're more than welcome to they can email me rugby4u21@gmail.com or text me or call me 970-690-6189 I would appreciate it. I do have a AP. So I reset it that way.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Just disconnect the battery, press brake pedal for half a minute and reconnect the battery.

Expect bad idle initially while it's re-learning. The best is to take out the car for some varied driving so it will see a combination of rpms.

If you have a MAF - clean it before doing the reset.

453747.png

Don’t let it just idle while it’s relearning. Like ehsnils said, try to take it around the block a couple times then get on normal driving speeds letting the rpms rise and fall as normal for maybe ~10 minutes.

And don’t forget to set your clock and radio settings haha

So from my understanding disconnect the battery do all those steps reconnect the car and go drive the car is that going to reset my flash cuz I have a stage 2 flash on the car I have an accessport I just reset it that way I guess my question is is since I have a stage 2 flash on the car am I going to have to hard flash it again or what do I need to do I mean I know disconnect the battery and do it that way but am I going to have to reset my flash do you see what I'm saying

So from my understanding disconnect the battery do all those steps reconnect the car and go drive the car is that going to reset my flash cuz I have a stage 2 flash on the car I have an accessport I just reset it that way I guess my question is is since I have a stage 2 flash on the car am I going to have to hard flash it again or what do I need to do I mean I know disconnect the battery and do it that way but am I going to have to reset my flash do you see what I'm saying

Or just drive it. There is no need to reset the ECU. The learned values will readjust.

Anyway, if you can see learned values, and you really want to reset the ECU, there's no need to disconnect the battery. Any tool that'll view learned values can reset the ECU.

Yes, resetting the ECU will delete your flashed tune so you do need to reflash before driving.

Ok thanks a bunch!! I'll just drive it...and it will run rough? Idle rough and what not till it learns ?

You don't clear the tune, you just clear the fine tuning offsets that are in the volatile memory, and when you have had a major issue then it's good to start from "zero" of the memory to avoid really strange things going on. Running from a clear start is what the software in the ECU is designed for, starting to run it from a major change might cause some effects like running too rich fouling plugs, overheating cat etc.

453747.png

whaAATT

Over the years I've noticed that people that let these cars idle for long times and don't drive them for long distances seem to have more issues.

Even in winter time, I start it, clean the snow or frost off and drive it. I don't let the car idle to warm up.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yes, resetting the ECU will delete your flashed tune so you do need to reflash before driving.

That's only if you have a what was it called with Cobb AP v1 a realtime tune and not a base tune. God that was a long time ago.

If you have a Cobb AP V2 or V3 your stage 2 tune should be loaded as a base map.

Resetting the ECU will not clear that map.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived