LegacyGT.com

Buying A 2015 Outback Limited 2.51

Well the car is sold by a dealer, which means I'll be paying more than private. I know that.

There are 55,600 miles on the car, rear heated seats is cool. Leather, Nav system, seems high end trim. The mileage points to a commute car, which I don't mind unless they sat forever in traffic jams. Cars should have a gauge for hours run on the motor.

The dealer says they go by true-value and they did take $300 off. They want $22,000 for the car. Does it seem like a good price for a dealer? On Monday I go write a check for the car and I'm having a bit of buyers remorse. Maybe it is the color. I like dark colors and this one is ice blue (something like it).

My normal car is a much older model, cars that may have a to-do list but I am getting lazy.

That's right in the ballpark, actually a good price. Black Book for retail CLEAN is $22,725. That's without the sun roof. If it has one the value goes up another $550. $22K sounds like a decent deal.

From previous experience they are a fair dealer. I did just call and ask if it is Subaru Certified and it is not, they are not a Subaru dealer. Honda yes...Subaru no. So all I get is the 3 month / 36,000 that comes with their add-on warranty.

I was thinking that Subaru Certified was an SOA thing that if a car is within the warranty period, the OEM warranty carries through to the new owner. Apparently you have to be a dealer. The sales guy said they do have third party warranty and I may look into it. IMHO third party warranties were / are worth as much as the paper they are written on and not much more.

That's right in the ballpark, actually a good price. Black Book for retail CLEAN is $22,725. That's without the sun roof. If it has one the value goes up another $550. $22K sounds like a decent deal.

Three hours before I was going to sign on the dotted line for the 55K Outback, I found an off-lease Outback at a Subaru dealer. It had 20,000 less miles on it, brand new tires, new battery, came with the Certified warranty, exact trim package and was $900 more. I went with it. Plus all maintenance records were at the dealership but the other car didn't have complete maintenance records.

Ethically I felt I had to call the sales guy I had been working with at the other dealer, to give him a shot (maybe lowering his price). All he had was a third party warranty add on that would cost us another $1400. And it was only a 4 year / 48,000 mile warranty. Plus the car he was selling had tires that were about 60% good and the battery was not new.

Oh there is one thing different, the car we bought doesn't have eyesight and the other car had it. I am glad because on a test drive on back curvy roads, the eyesight didn't like me cutting through the curve. PITA if you ask me.

Felt bad for the sales-guy that we have used in the past but his dealership wasn't letting him compete.

Archived