LegacyGT.com

Carp's Trunk/Audio Redesign

Third to last thread I'm going to create here to document my trunk/audio redesign/build project...next being trying to complete my 3.6 and last being a full compilation of everything together.

The Plan/s:

1. Completely replace the audio in this car, along with all the factory wiring with quality components. Also, upgrade power sources to limit battery drain and system whine.

2. Completely build a fiberglass show quality trunk to highlight the major audio upgrades I've done recently.

The Equipment:

• Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX Navigation
    --Pioneer Microbypass Video In Motion
    --Pioneer CDP1195
    --PAC SWI-RC Steering Wheel Kit
    --JDM Stereo Depressed Trim Mount Kit
  • Pioneer TS-M650P.R.O. 6.5" Midbass Speakers (front/rear x2)
  • Pioneer TS-D350P.R.O. 3.5" Tweeter (front x2)
  • Pioneer TS-D400P.R.O. 4" Tweeter (rear x2)
  • Pioneer TS-W3003D4 Champion P.R.O. Series 12" Subs (x2)
  • Pioneer GMD9601 Mono Amplifier 2400W Class D (x2)
  • Pioneer GMD9605 5 Channel D Class Amplifier
  • Pioneer GMD8604 4 Channel D Class Amplifier
  • Clarion MCD360 Active Crossover
  • Kilmat 300sq ft
  • Soundstream Scx-4 4 Farad Car Audio (x2)
  • A shit ton of shielded wiring/cables/blocks/terminals/clamps and ingenuity

Thanks! Yea, it's big but not big enough for what I have in there now. Plus why stop on aesthetic upgrades without doing my trunk too right? :)

Always cool to see someone go all out on his ride. :cool:

My car audio days are long gone but I still appreciate a good install!

I used to be into car audio. Why all the pioneer equipment? Are you trying to match everything? At the very least, I would choose different speakers. I would use different amplifiers but in a car audio environment and using Class D amplifiers, it probably isn't as big of difference using the Pioneer amps though. Also you really shouldn't put tweeters in the rear of the car, it screws up the soundstage. Even rear fill has minimal benefit. I would spend more money on nice set of front components and reduce your installation by one amplifier.

I used to be into car audio. Why all the pioneer equipment? Are you trying to match everything? At the very least, I would choose different speakers. I would use different amplifiers but in a car audio environment and using Class D amplifiers, it probably isn't as big of difference using the Pioneer amps though. Also you really shouldn't put tweeters in the rear of the car, it screws up the soundstage. Even rear fill has minimal benefit. I would spend more money on nice set of front components and reduce your installation by one amplifier.

Pioneer because I'm OCD as hell. One amp for just the mids, one amp for just the highs and one am for just the lows. I'm sure there is a way to bridge it all up to spec, but I'm exhausted enough trying to tune this out.

Yes, the highs are ridiculously too high and all the dogs in the neighborhood cry when I drove by the first time. Had to reduce power to the 2 rear tweeters by 3/4. Hence another reason for 3 amps vs. 2.

I actually have another 9601 but opted not to install it, as I found out I could wire both subs at 1ohm and use max RMS already.

Pioneer because I'm OCD as hell. One amp for just the mids, one amp for just the highs and one am for just the lows. I'm sure there is a way to bridge it all up to spec, but I'm exhausted enough trying to tune this out.

Yes, the highs are ridiculously too high and all the dogs in the neighborhood cry when I drove by the first time. Had to reduce power to the 2 rear tweeters by 3/4. Hence another reason for 3 amps vs. 2.

I actually have another 9601 but opted not to install it, as I found out I could wire both subs at 1ohm and use max RMS already.

If you already have it, you could use the 2nd amplifier to power the Subs. An amplifier that isn't maxed out will have more headroom (power available) on short bursts vs one wired for the lowest impedance. The continuous power will be in theory the same either way. It depends on what you want, though.

One of my system I built, I did a bi-amped a nice set of separates with about 700watts. I was wearing hearing protection, tuning the amp gains, and balancing the tweeters. The midbass was better than any system I had ever built, it was as loud as hell with my hearing protection on when I had moment of realization. This is insane, I am never going to turn my stereo up this loud. I ripped out one of the amplifiers, reconfigured it and powered it with a 150 watt amplifier and I never regretted it not having the full capacity of my speakers.

pioneer is a waste of money. crossfire audio, ampere audio or even lame sundown audio are way better options. i have 4 18s walled in my legacy on 30k, im a singer alternator dealer too fyi and have a brand new 270amp power coated red and black thats a direct swap for your oem location in stock ready to ship.

Archived