LegacyGT.com

Alignment Suggestions

I originally had alignment issues from factory with my Legacy 2.5i Limited. The dealer corrected them the best they could to be within the center of the specs. I still didn't like the way it handled. The first pic is what they aligned it to (CUSTOMER COPY written on bottom). The second pic with the wheels in it is my current setup.

So I installed the 20mm RSB. It helped some but still wandered really bad, especially in the rear.

So to make the rear completely adjustable I bought the SPC rear lower control arms, rear toe arms, and the toe lockout kit as well. I had the parts installed and setup with the alignment in the second pic. I am happy with the way the car handles for the most part but she is still so touchy especially at highway speeds. I have almost 7k miles on the car now. I don't want to purchase new tires for it right now because I haven't even wore off 1/32" yet. I have tried different tire pressures and that doesn't seem to really make a difference.

I have read in the 6th and 5th generation areas that a lot of you guys suggest 0.00 degrees of toe at each wheel in the front and back. I am at 0.04 degrees on each wheel right now and she is still so touchy on the highway. The toe in on the front firmed up the steering some but I don't think the car likes it since how light the steering effort is.

Would setting the toe in the front and rear to 0.00 degrees per wheel help? I know that more toe in will help keep it steady but when the toe in the rear was 0.12 degrees per wheel it wandered really badly. I haven't done any other changes to the car. I am not an aggressive driver but do like to have a little fun on entrance/off ramps on occasion. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Besides this annoyance, I like the car a lot, I just wish it was easily fixable besides purchasing something else, LOL. I do 90% highway driving so it gets tiresome on days when the winds are 15+ mph. Even today with 10-15mph winds a Kia Soul passed me on the highway and it made the car twitch enough I had to make a steering correction. And please don't tell me that it's because of the electric power steering because this isn't my first car to have it.

CCI_000009.jpg.915a2c07afb266d3fb78b905580d6562.jpg

CCI_000008.jpg.01b8c16ad6363ca7e5428c068dd895a3.jpg

Did you change the specs yourself? The tolerances are different on those sheets. Bringing the rear camber in more and adjusting everything else afterwards should help. The total rear toe is going to cause the car to want to drift to the right as it currently sits. Top pic has rear camber around -1.5° but the lower pic shows it being -1°. I don't know which picture is the correct specs so i am basing everything off the lower picture. .5° is a big difference so we have to find the correct specs for your car.

Did you change the specs yourself? The tolerances are different on those sheets. Bringing the rear camber in more and adjusting everything else afterwards should help. The total rear toe is going to cause the car to want to drift to the right as it currently sits. Top pic has rear camber around -1.5° but the lower pic shows it being -1°. I don't know which picture is the correct specs so i am basing everything off the lower picture. .5° is a big difference so we have to find the correct specs for your car.

I didn’t change the specs myself per se. I went off from a lot of what I saw in the 6th and 5th generation forums. The bottom pic is what I’m running right now. The specs Subaru wants are on the top sheet. I went to a 3rd party shop for my second alignment. With the Subaru specs my car would ghostwalk on the highway even in dry weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd recommend going back to the top sheet specs and adjusting the rear camber to spec. A vehicle will pull towards the side with most positive camber so, the rear of your car was trying to pull you left aka ghostwalking. We can tweak it a little if need be, but get the rear camber fixed and set everything else back to the specs on sheet 1.

Attached is what it is set at right now. Sorry, I wasn't clear enough when I originally posted. I also realized I attached the wrong pic of how the dealer set it up before I made the rear totally customizable. It's been a rough week so I should have proofed it better. I know these cars toe in and go more neg camber in the rear as it compresses. I wanted the rear to have less camber than the front to negate the strong understeer that's setup from factory. My question is if I set the front and rear toe to zero how sensitive will it be (tramlining, wind, people passing etc)?

CCI_000008.jpg.1298ddec9e223d90236f58bda59027f7.jpg

Attached is what I have. Not the best numbers, but I don't have the symptoms you describe.

Under heavy acceleration I have a slight wobble, and it probably is the rear toe that is the cause for that. Just haven't had time to take it back.

I've found that alignment is a skill; and some techs are better at it than others. Some are out right lazy. I've had folks tell me that the camber can't be adjusted when I've had other shops adjust it to the spec I wanted.

On previous cars I used to prefer having a -1.5° to -2° camber all around to have full contact while cornering and a slight toe in on the front to help with under steer. But I don't take corners that way anymore, so I just let them set it to whatever the spec shows.

IMG_20180612_0832357.thumb.jpg.d4ea7680de498449d972aa8a4517d06e.jpg

• 1 month later...
Attached is what I have. Not the best numbers, but I don't have the symptoms you describe.

Under heavy acceleration I have a slight wobble, and it probably is the rear toe that is the cause for that. Just haven't had time to take it back.

I've found that alignment is a skill; and some techs are better at it than others. Some are out right lazy. I've had folks tell me that the camber can't be adjusted when I've had other shops adjust it to the spec I wanted.

On previous cars I used to prefer having a -1.5° to -2° camber all around to have full contact while cornering and a slight toe in on the front to help with under steer. But I don't take corners that way anymore, so I just let them set it to whatever the spec shows.

So I got an alignment check done a few days back and asked the guy to set the camber to -1.0° all around. The tech came back to me and said that the car does not have rear camber adjustments... And he did not see any damage to the rear suspension components nor uneven wear on the tires.

I did not notice any uneven wear either.

Before I spend time and money taking it to a body shop to have them figure out/fix the rear; has anyone else noticed odd rear camber numbers?

IMG_20180719_0810495.thumb.jpg.97b45605d0e9a5f8fcf9eaff7647323b.jpg

Archived