LegacyGT.com

Tracking down an AC issue

2005 Legacy GT Limited 5eat, 183k miles

Swapped to auto tension belt when my other idler decided it didn't want to be in one piece anymore.

I like to troubleshoot so I can gain knowledge, and will go to an AC repair place when I either can't figure it out or when I need to vacuum and recharge, unless I end up buying the tools for it.

So my AC does not quite blow as cold as it used to, and it only kind of feels like a fan now with a slight cool temp to it. I guess I noticed it starting to get weaker since mid-end of last summer.

What I've checked:

- Compressor does kick on.

- Fan kicks on.

- Belt is in good shape.

- High pressure line is hot.

- Cold pressure line is slightly cool, but definitely not cold and condensation isn't built up.

- Could possibly get slightly cooler during longer highway drives. Doesn't appear to be much blockage in the condenser, but I'm going to rinse it in the morning.

Should the next step after rinsing the condenser be getting gauges and checking pressure on both sides?

With the compressor still kicking on, could it be a very small leak, or would you expect that there may be a blockage of some sort?

Thanks!

When is the last time it was charged? It's probably just a little low. A/C systems are not 100% sealed so a car will need to be serviced every now and then. For instance, I just serviced my ac for the first time since owning the vehicle, last weekend. I've owned the car for 6 years but do not know if it was serviced by the previous owner(s).

If you believe there may be a leak, they sell florescent oil that can be added to the system. A UV light and glasses will aide in finding where the oil is leaking. You can't miss the bright yellowish-green hue.

I've owned it for just over 2 years and I can't say when the last time it was charged. I should still have a UV pen around somewhere from me buying one of those cans at the local auto store like 10 years ago.

I've always been under the assumption that the account system was completely closed and should not need to be "topped off" and that if it was low, was because of a leak. I guess I could get a can of the refrigerant with dye and add a little to see if I find a leak. Just don't want to be throwing money out all willy nilly.

I've had the stretch on there for quite a while before performance decreased; actually most of the time I've owned the car. I believe tension is still pretty good, but I'll measure it.

I want to say I had read about putting the stretch belt on from this forum.

Well I bought a recharge can with dye. I figured if it was low, there's probably a leak, and the dye will show me where, and maybe it would give me some temporary relief too.

So I immediately checked the low side with the little gauge, and it was about 20-25 psi. It was ~95° here in Savannah, GA. The can said to add until 45-55 psi at this temperature, so I chose the low side and put in until it was about 45 psi. It is much cooler now.

I'm thinking it must be a real slow leak, but I'll look over with a uv light when I get back home. Regardless, I'll probably start looking for a cheap but decent set of gauges and vacuum pump. Any recommendations for a DIY type of person that won't be using it commercially?

I have a brand new set of gauges with 8ft hoses if you are interested. They are the black widow (black/chrome) edition so they look really cool too. Shoot me a pm with your phone number and I can send some pics tomorrow when I'm at work.

It is a "sealed system" in terms of it shouldn't leak out in a month or year but over time, yes it will lose some. Recharging every couple of years is not unusual. The most common leak is the Schrader valves so make sure they are tight.

Oh I went with the stretch fit because my old idler exploded and honestly always hated that thing anyway so figured I'd go with it.

Just got back from vacation/certification so I'll pm you probably tomorrow. That's interesting, I would think that it would only leak if for some reason it didn't seal somewhere or possibly from expansion and contraction at o rings or something.

Archived