LegacyGT.com

Brake service options

I would never just put pads on I would either resurface or replace the rotors. Since putting on new pads the connection between the rotors and pads would not match up..

How many people out there just put new pads on? Am I wrong here?

When the rotors have minor wear, and no warping, I never have a problem just replacing pads. With just a few braking cycles, the pads are perfectly mated to the old surface anyway.

I have never noticed any different performance with new pads on used rotors, but then I don't do any race track circuits.

When the rotors have minor wear, and no warping, I never have a problem just replacing pads.

That has been my experience as well. Slight irregularities visible on the rotor wear surface are OK, but deep gouges or pronounced grooving is cause for rejection. I do clean the rotors thoroughly, and a pass through my bead blast cabinet removes stubborn dirt and rust, lightly peens their wear surfaces, and does wonders for their appearance.

On previous cars, I've typically gotten about 60,000 miles per set of high-quality pads. Given the cost of resurfacing rotors and the mixed results I have experienced with resurfacing, I usually just fit new rotors every other pad change. YMMV.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

The Legacy/Outback adopted an electrically actuated parking brake at MY 2015. The service brakes remain hydraulic, as before.

Ahh Gotcha. I thought they were talking about something with the normal Service brakes. My 2010 Legacy has an Electronic Parking brake. Brakes are serviced no differently than any other type of brakes as the Parking Brake is essentially just an electronically controlled Drum Brake, while the Service Brakes are the usual Caliper/Disk Brakes.

JSmith, I am aware that my 2010 has an Electronic Parking brake. I was confused by the OP mentioning an issue with taking the Caliper off due to the Electronic System, as on our 2010 Legacy's the Electronic System has ZERO to do with the Caliper. As someone else pointed out though, with the redesign of the Legacy (2015 and newer) the Electronic Parking Brake may have something to do with the Caliper (I won't say for sure, as I have never worked on a newer Legacy/Outback.)

... the Electronic Parking Brake may have something to do with the Caliper ...

Correct. Just think of the rear caliper as having two concentric pistons, one hydraulically driven for normal braking and one electrically driven for the parking brake function.

See the attached PDF for more than you ever wanted to know about the 2015+ EPB internals. (This excerpt is just one example of the excellent tech info available from the Subaru Technical Information System web site.)

Electronic_Parking_Brake_2015.pdf

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I.) Disconnect the battery

II.) Unplug the harness connector for the EPB at the caliper

III.) Depress the piston by a big ass pair of channel locks or your favorite Chinese caliper tools

IV.) Proceed with brake job as you would with any other disc brake system.

Correction:

III.) Using an appropriate caliper tool, engage the two notches on the piston face and rotate the piston clockwise until it is fully retracted.

(See the attachment to post #30 in this thread.)

spacer.png

Archived