LegacyGT.com

seems to misfire from stop - then ok

mikes

Hi, 2006 outback 4 cyl, manual trans. Bought from one owner well maintained. Noticed it seemed to misfire (Like a plug misfire under load when accelerating). I was taking engine out anyway for head gaskets so not overly concerned. I did check compression and leakdown before disassembly and both were fine. Changed head gaskets. Valve seat and faces ok. Back together - very careful to details - rechecked compression and leakdown and both still fine.

This is a second car, both of us are retired so only driven occasionally. Probably only 1k miles since engine back in, misfire? still there.Gearshift noticeably shakes when accelerating in 1st and second. Codes have been and are still zero.

Here's the crazy part - I drove it today, central Indiana, temp in the 80's and it was raining. Car did not misfire (if that's what it does) at all! I could understand moisture maybe causing a spark path to ground or another plug but why does it seem fine when raining? Do I need a water injector?

Hopefully this is a condition some of you could possibly comment on.

Thank you!! Mike

Best approach is to look at live (or logged) data. A very helpful tool is either an OBDLink Bluetooth dongle and the BtSsm Android app, or a $10 eBay VAG-COM cable and the Learning View and logging software from RomRaider. Or any scanner with live data. Starting point is misfires (roughness in BtSsm lingo) on cyls 1-4, and long term fuel trims (fuel learning A-D in BtSsm lingo).

Best approach is to look at live (or logged) data. A very helpful tool is either an OBDLink Bluetooth dongle and the BtSsm Android app, or a $10 eBay VAG-COM cable and the Learning View and logging software from RomRaider. Or any scanner with live data. Starting point is misfires (roughness in BtSsm lingo) on cyls 1-4, and long term fuel trims (fuel learning A-D in BtSsm lingo).

relative4 Thank you! Sounds like a great suggestion. Question though, wouldn't logged data show up on a OBD reader now?

Putting the transaxle back in daughter's Saturn today (new clutch) and driving the Subaru to pick up the clutch yesterday brought this question into being.

I'll get into this asap and hopefully live - or logged data will show the reason.

Thank you again! Mike

Archived