LegacyGT.com

94 Subaru Legacy AWD non-turbo auto Transmission seems asleep sometimes? Mystery!!

Servitus

Boy do I have a great one for all you mystery lovers!

My 94 Subaru legacy wagon non-turbo AWD will, recently, only drive in what seems to be 3rd gear.

EXCEPT...

Sometimes the power transmission light will flash, either while sitting at a stop light or driving normally at any speed, and the transmission will start shifting as if nothing is wrong! It will stay that way until I turn the car off, then when starting again, it will only be in 3rd gear until it decides to start working again.

I have changed the transmission fluid, and filter, and I didn't find a single metal shaving on the pan magnet. That didn't help. I'm at a loss.

I've checked all the fuses and simple things of that nature, and all seems to be great. It's as if the tranmission doesn't know the car is even running, and when it "wakes up" it's as if nothing is wrong, in reverse or forward driving.

Another symptom is that when the car is in its 3rd gear only mode, when turning the wheel right or left at low speeds, the front tires seem to want to lock up. Which causes shuddering and tire squealing. That's only when it's doing its 3rd gear thing, when it "wakes up" that problem also dissappears till the car is put into park and shut off. Then it starts all over again.

This also happens whether the car is in AWD mode, or FWD mode, with a fuse in the FWD thing under the hood on the passenger side.

It's a mystery!!

Any help would be appreciated. I've seen a lot of difficult and mysterious problems solved on this forum, and I'm hopeful that an expert or two will know what the Sam heck is going on here! If you have any questions, or need further clarification, please feel free to ask! And thank you for any help!

Archived