LegacyGT.com

EJ25D/EJ251 Rebuild

Hello, again fellow Subaru enthusiasts! I'm happy to say the Forester is running, and pretty good too! I've been driving it to work for a couple of days everything seems excellent, it idles great and isn't leaking a darn thing.

There are 2 codes that have popped up, one for the front O2 sensor, and the other for the knock sensor. I could potentially have the knock sensor in the wrong orientation.

There is one small issue and one potentially major issue.

The first issue I'm having is with a bit of a nasty tapping/ticking sound. I'm almost certain the problem is incorrect valve lash. I set all of the exhaust valves to .013, following the instructions of a briansmobile1 video, which I now believe is a bit excessive. I believe I can fix this issue in just a couple of hours.

Now the second issue. I had to replace a valve guide and while I was waiting for the new one to come in the mail, I put the valve, spring, retainers, keepers, and seat in a bag to keep it all together. When I received the new guide I put everything back together, except the seat, which is the small round thing the valve sits on. I didn't realize I forgot this until after the car was already running. So what might this damage? Do you think I can fix it in the car?

Archived