LegacyGT.com

New 2009 Legacy 2.5i owner here

Hey guys new member with a new (to me) Subaru. Just picked up this Legacy 2.5i so far I love it. Trying to come up with a few small mods I can do to add some character to my car. Think the first on my list is going to be some sort of exhaust setup. I've googled some and find some of the info confusing and would like some more input. From my understanding you cannot get the boxer rumble from a 2.5i due to the equal length headers, I've seen people talking about options for unequal length ones that will work but unsure what ones they are referring to. Also sounds like most Legacy GT axlebacks will bolt up to a 2.5i. Mainly I need some good options that will give me a nice sound not too riced out but a good tone and not crazy expensive. Also seen quite a few people putting the nameless performance muffler delete on the 2.5i. Honestly I'm just a little lost and don't know what the best options are.

Thanks guys

0R3cfhi.jpg

LJcF65s.jpg

I could be wrong but I always thought the stick exhaust header gives the rumble you talk about.

I also don't believe the GT exhaust will bolt on. The mufflers might. but I think the GT;s downpipe ends at a different location.

Rear the stickys up top. you'll find one wilt a link to OEM parts, those pictures will tell you what will bolt on.

The easy exhaust change is to remove the mufflers and see if you like that sound. I had muffler deleted made for my GT wagon, years back.

But really there's not many mods you can do to gain HP on a 2.5i.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I could be wrong but I always thought the stick exhaust header gives the rumble you talk about.

I also don't believe the GT exhaust will bolt on. The mufflers might. but I think the GT;s downpipe ends at a different location.

Rear the stickys up top. you'll find one wilt a link to OEM parts, those pictures will tell you what will bolt on.

The easy exhaust change is to remove the mufflers and see if you like that sound. I had muffler deleted made for my GT wagon, years back.

But really there's not many mods you can do to gain HP on a 2.5i.

I'll look into the sticky some. Understand that 2.5i can't really make a ton of of power, mainly just looking to get a bit of sound in the exhaust.

Define, a lot of power from a Subaru 2.5i. In the 14 years I've been here, the thing we tell everyone that thinks that or talks about adding a turbo to their 2.5i is to sell the car and buy a GT, the 2.5i is never going to be anything close to a 4th Gen GT.

Exhaust is simple, just un-bolt the mufflers and start the engine. You may find that's enough. One trick is to put a couple of washers between the flanges and see what that sounds like. There's a thread here about Hogzmat, or something like that where a lot of us did that back in the day.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Define, a lot of power from a Subaru 2.5i. In the 14 years I've been here, the thing we tell everyone that thinks that or talks about adding a turbo to their 2.5i is to sell the car and buy a GT, the 2.5i is never going to be anything close to a 4th Gen GT.

Exhaust is simple, just un-bolt the mufflers and start the engine. You may find that's enough. One trick is to put a couple of washers between the flanges and see what that sounds like. There's a thread here about Hogzmat, or something like that where a lot of us did that back in the day.

Might try it. Not looking for a power House just a good tone. This is my daily driver but I still like a bit of sound iny ride. Seen a couple axlebacks kits from Nameless performance one is muffler delete other is 5in cans. Worry delete might be too loud and that the 5in cans might be not enough over stock. I've also seen some people who have went to muffler shop and had them weld up couple universal mufflers in.

Inferno Fabrications and Rallisport Racing make UEL headers that bolt up without modification. The Nameless muffler deletes are a good option too. Can be done cheaper at a shop, but not having to go anywhere is nice too
'08 Legacy 2.5i - hybrid intake - delta 1000 - E85 - magnaflow exhaust

Inferno Fabrications and Rallisport Racing make UEL headers that bolt up without modification. The Nameless muffler deletes are a good option too. Can be done cheaper at a shop, but not having to go anywhere is nice too

That's good too know, I'll have to look for the headers. Then what's the options with headers? If I install ulh will Legacy GT catback exhausts fit?

Only turbo models come from the factory with unequal length headers. You could put some on a NA model to achieve a similar worble but there is no gains to be had from this mod otherwise.

Archived