LegacyGT.com

10 inch subwoofer installed in my spec b's rear deck

lilbrudder

Well I spent all day yesterday installing an infinity kappa 1000w 10"in the rear deck where the factory 8"cutout was. I did have to enlarge the hole and build a spacer. The sub is being powered by infinity kappa k600 amp.

In all honesty I'm not sure if it is worth it. I do still need to tune it, but I'm a bit underwhelmed...it's good, but I was hoping for more punch.

IMAG5644.thumb.jpg.0adb2e859114f45bda391b9adf58906a.jpg

IMAG5638.thumb.jpg.f14a4ba791ded49a6b3385f0af2cfc6c.jpg

IMAG5642.thumb.jpg.acc80fc46a6a3905ff513cdf3546339e.jpg

Well done, looks clean. I'm no audio expert but if the sub isn't ment for free air then it won't work well. I had to learn how to make the most of little room in another car and learned choosing a sub for the size enclosure you can fit is the most critical. I used an 8in I think and it sounded much better then others who tried to cram a 10in in a small box.

If it is ment for a box maybe you can build a slim box to mount on the underside.

What interior is that anyway?

Thanks. The infinity kappa 10 in is supposed the best free air for 2018, so that's why I chose it...but I have been thinking of fabing a box to the under deck...

It's the brick red interior in the original 500 spec b's btw.

Edited by lilbrudder

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I just bought this Infinity this AM to work on this project this summer. Any tips on the fitment or additional pictures of the process? Does the trunk tensioner rattle?

Great and relevent write-up, thank you

Sorry, I missed the last couple replies. I do have factory head unit with Bluetooth mod via jazzy, I'm using a line level converter that's built into the amp, so it does adjust through the unit. It was a bit of a challenge, took me all day and I use to install for circuit city. The top spacer was the most difficult part, as the deck had several changes in elevation so I ended up doing a lot of shaving the spacer and recheck the fitment. As you can see there is only one tensioner(it came with 2) I removed the other as it would not fit, then I installed a set of springs to help lift and keep the trunk open. I used a pneumatic metal saw(like a jig saw) to enlarge the hole.the tensioner doesn't really rattle, but the rear deck was rattling bad so I put several pieces of foam to tighten it up. It sounds and feels great, but I think fabricating a long sealed box on the underside would likely yield a significant gain in overall performance(I estimate a third).

• 3 weeks later...