LegacyGT.com

Surprise its a VF 52 with issues

Just purchased a 07 Wagon. The thing was a Florida car, and the body is mint. Tons of work. Had a turbo swap done around 40K ago. I asked when I purchased it about the replacement model and was told it was the " factory model."

Was chasing an overboost issue for a few days. Ordered Cobb 3p BCM. Figured id keep checking it out and driving it to find new things. Getting wastegate solenoid code. So I picked up a cheap VF 40/46 Wastegate actuator and went to change it out. To my surprise, it didn't fit. He had put a VF52 on and the thing had a seized wastegate. I unhooked it and unstuck it. No more overboost issue for the most part but I am hitting 19LBS before letting off in 3rd. M

My question is. Is that too much for the stock BCM to actuate the actuator since its still hitting overboost. Will a three port cobb solve the issue or will I need to get this thing on a dyno? I'm running the Stage 2 91 LWG canned tune. Has a catted downpipe, FMS TMIC, Cobb BPV, Perrin Inlet, Stock airbox, KN filter. Has a larger fuel pump and injectors from what the mechanic that rebuilt the heads and did all the engine work said.

That's the plan. I spoke with Perry tune in Rhode Island to get in next week. The PO was driving the car and staying out of the boost once he realized it was overboosting. Then it sat for six months. I have been messing with it for a day or two just checking it out and trying to get it on the road. I'll grab a compression tester tomorrow and check it out. This was just going to be my daily for work 15 minutes away and a project car. It looks like it might be getting a rebuild sooner than expected.

If it had the stage 2 tune the whole time, and nobody was stomping on it, the engine is probably OK. If so, then with a proper tune, it can definitely be awesome.

Ironically, those larger injectors may have saved the engine. Running a VF52 with a tune written for a VF46 will overboost and, more importantly, lean out, burning valves and possibly detonating. However, that tune is also written for stock injectors, and applying those injectors' duty cycle to bigger injectors may run it rich, possibly offsetting the mixture problems and avoiding damage.

Maybe.

I thought my 05 lgt had vf40, turns out it has a VF52... ran it on fsctory tune for probably 5 or 6k miles. Overboosting too.

I beat it hard, number 4 has low compression by maybe 10 or 15 psi compared to others, but its ran the same since i got.

Wont blow up, just take it easy. Get a factory wastegate actuator?

If it had the stage 2 tune the whole time, and nobody was stomping on it, the engine is probably OK. If so, then with a proper tune, it can definitely be awesome.

Ironically, those larger injectors may have saved the engine. Running a VF52 with a tune written for a VF46 will overboost and, more importantly, lean out, burning valves and possibly detonating. However, that tune is also written for stock injectors, and applying those injectors' duty cycle to bigger injectors may run it rich, possibly offsetting the mixture problems and avoiding damage.

Maybe.

I noticed with the stage 2 93 octane tune it was dumping a lot of raw fuel so I wasn’t really nervous about it being lean. I did check it on the stage 1 and bank 1 was lean so I put it back on stage 2 91 octane lwg just to take it easy and put miles on so I can inspect it. Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought my 05 lgt had vf40, turns out it has a VF52... ran it on fsctory tune for probably 5 or 6k miles. Overboosting too.

I beat it hard, number 4 has low compression by maybe 10 or 15 psi compared to others, but its ran the same since i got.

Wont blow up, just take it easy. Get a factory wastegate actuator?

Thanks for the info. Have one on the way and taking it to the dyno next week hopefully

Well, it's good it's even running at all with an OTS tune. But should be smooth and have great numbers with a dyno or etune.

I’m about a week or 2 away from a dyno. Just order a new wheel bearing, sway bar end links and both front half shafts. Once I get it to be stable and reliable I’ll put it on a dyno for a pull. Would want it breaking while trying to tune.

Keep your OE CV shafts, and reboot them. I have had NO aftermarket shafts be well balanced. Always vibrate..

Thanks for the heads up. All of them feel pretty good except for the front right. It’s grinding pretty bad at speed while turning slightly. I order a new wheel bearing and end links to change out as well. I’ll let you know what kinds of good stuff I find once I start pulling it apart

• 1 month later...

Turns out previous owner had an eBay special on there that was uncontrollable on the dyno. Pushing like 20 psi in 2nd gear with wastegate duty cycle at 0. So I hunted down a used VF-52 and got to work last weekend. Also needed some injector seals and o rings. And a new MAF sensor. So now it’s all back together and ready to finish off the dyno tune . Jason at perry tuned helped diagnose the issues and even installed my 3 port controller prior to starting the dyno tune a week and a half ago. Only charged half price and gave me time to correct the issues and then come back out. I knew it would be worth the wait to get it over to the Subaru shop. Most places near me would have charged full price and told me to go figure out what was wrong. Also during my injector seal adventure I discovered a set of Bosch injectors that have some weird part numbers that don’t match anything in their catalog and a Walbro 255 pump. So I’m not sitting in to bad of shape going forward. Will post numbers once she’s complete

Archived