LegacyGT.com

2017 Legacy is very unstable at highway speeds

This thread kind of cracks me up, I drive many of the same roads as you. I have a '17 3.6r Legacy. I don't feel anything of what you describe and I've been driving all sorts of different cars for 34 years, the Legacy is stable AF. Do you still have the tires that came on the car new? If so, they are very thin sidewalled tires and did make the car feel not very confident, especially while braking.

Yes original Goodyear Assurance All season tires 20K on them now. Anyway I am not the only one complaining trust me, it is the way people ask questions. Just type in to the search box for this forum "stability" or "crosswind" and you will see all the posts where people are complaining about stability problems.

Edited by aki334

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Who ever is experiencing stability issues and has some electrical knowledge PM me I think I have the solution. I have diagrams and instructions what to do I do electrical and mechanical but if you do not know what potentiometer is then I can not help you much. But if you do, PM me and we can work on this together. Basically with two potentiometers we can tap into steering torque sensor and make the sensors think that less assistance is needed and you can basically dial in your favorite steering wheel weight. Then if you are creative you can install switch for sport and normal mode :)

I think that the 6th generation steering is not correctly calibrated for speed sensitivity. The faster we go the firmer the steering should be and I do not feel that. It feels the same from parking to 85mph.

Here is just the link where I got the idea.

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&title=Modifying-Electric-Power-Steering&A=111532

again if you are electrically inclined and want to improve your steering PM me I have factory Subaru maintenance manual sorry can't put it out open since it can be dangerous if you do not know what you are doing.

Use the quote feature, please. This thread is a year and a half old. AKI (the OP) is still posting, but please make sure to point your question at him, if applicable. I've had some complaints myself.

As for me, I've got STI BBS wheels and aggressive AS tires (Conti DWS). I don't think anyone would argue that these are soft tires.

My opinion remains that even after nearly identical alignments (Legacy is at -.7* camber), our '14 FXT with stock wheels and Premier A/S tires (then) and Ascend GT (now) handles much better at highway speeds. I find that a higher-riding CUV handling better than a sedan to be contrary to expectations.

Interesting. Our '11 FXT, which also just went from Premier A/S to Ascend GT tires (and got an alignment as part of the process), definitely does not handle better at highway speeds than our '18 Legacy 2.5 Limited (which got an alignment 6 months ago, and is 18k miles in on OEM Goodyear Eagle LS2 tires). The Forester feels more susceptible to crosswinds, and just doesn't feel quite as planted on the road. Not that it is bad, but there is a noticeable difference. The Legacy is more isolated from tire noise and vibration, so there is more feel with the Forester, but it isn't all good feelings. I guess the best thing you can say is you definitely know where the edge of adhesion is on the Forester.

Interesting. Our '11 FXT, which also just went from Premier A/S to Ascend GT tires (and got an alignment as part of the process), definitely does not handle better at highway speeds than our '18 Legacy 2.5 Limited (which got an alignment 6 months ago, and is 18k miles in on OEM Goodyear Eagle LS2 tires). The Forester feels more susceptible to crosswinds, and just doesn't feel quite as planted on the road. Not that it is bad, but there is a noticeable difference. The Legacy is more isolated from tire noise and vibration, so there is more feel with the Forester, but it isn't all good feelings. I guess the best thing you can say is you definitely know where the edge of adhesion is on the Forester.

My previous post might have been a little misleading about which handled better. with the Premier A/S then and Ascend GT now on the '14 FXT, it handles dry and wet better than my '15 Legacy with Conti DWS that are likely halfway worn by now (I haven't checked the tread depth since putting them on in the spring and don't recall).

I definitely feel the wind more in the FXT; however, the Legacy's steering seems to be dead on-center and not very responsive right away, so that I FEEL like I'm having to give more input than the FXT, which is more point-and-go-feeling, if that makes any sense.

//

What do you think about the difference in the tires for your '11 FXT?

The Premier A/S started at 8/32" tread depth and wore very quickly. It performed well, otherwise.

The Ascend started at 12/32" (massive difference), now after several hundred (maybe as much as 1000 miles), are a bit squishier for sure, but they're also quieter. They handle just fine, even if they're not very sporty.

I've taken the Premier A/S close to the limit of traction (dry and wet) and they were pretty nice. They hydroplaned and pulled a bit in heavy rain near the end, even though I believe they touted their tire as performing the same all the way down to the wear bars, which is where I took them before replacement. I didn't mean to go that far, but they seemed to shoot from 3 or 4/32" to 2/32" pretty rapidly this past spring/summer.

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

Who ever is experiencing stability issues and has some electrical knowledge PM me I think I have the solution. I have diagrams and instructions what to do ...

... if you are electrically inclined and want to improve your steering PM me I have factory Subaru maintenance manual sorry can't put it out open since it can be dangerous if you do not know what you are doing.

Time to close this thread.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png