LegacyGT.com

2017 Legacy is very unstable at highway speeds

Since a sway bar don't change the ride height or any other geometry like new springs do you don't need to re-do any alignment already done.

Cool. I wasn't sure if it would have any affect on the camber.

The Crosstrek 20mm sway bar will be something I will want to do.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

interesting I will look into it and see how to do it myself.

you can do it with the car on the ground and IMHO depending upon rusty your end links are I would just leave them attached to the bar and remove them from after you take it out. Also installing this with the suspension loaded and car on the ground is easy.

1. slide under car

2. remove 4 bolts that hold bushings on to mounting points, set aside

3. remove the nut on each side that connect end link to lower arm

4. take unit out as an assembly

5. at work bench remove end links with allen key and wrench

6. install end links onto new bar, tighten nut to specs

7. install bar into car, tighten end link bolts to spec

8 install new bushings on bar and reinstall caps on bushings.

done, took me under 30 to do it with electric impact wrench

Cool. I wasn't sure if it would have any affect on the camber.

The Crosstrek 20mm sway bar will be something I will want to do.

What you should be aware of is that the car will behave differently after a new sway bar is installed so be careful until you have adapted to the new balance of the car. You may discover that with a new sway bar at the rear then you may start to think the front is too mushy and so the avalanche of suspension upgrades starts! :)

453747.png

I have not noticed an issue at highway speeds with my '16. The car is simply a reliable sedan. Nothing spectacular about the handling (good or bad) at any speed. Stability was improved on mine by junking the OEM tires, but even with the originals it was fine. To expect anything other than the handling of a non-premium sedan is unrealistic. The Legacy will never be a 3 series BMW! Then again, it was a hell of a lot cheaper.

I understand that bu I have had 20 year old cars that handled better at 70-80 mph and were able to keep straight line without constantly moving steering wheel which makes driving long ranges really not so fun.

my best guess is: Side of the vehicle is like a big sail boat, front of the vehicle is like brick not aerodynamic at all. Engine is light due to aluminum heads and block. Wide tires for its weight, electric steering wheel torque sensors too sensitive.

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&title=Modifying-Electric-Power-Steering&A=111532

Edited by aki334

Performance sway bar bushings can help with stability.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/cke-ssp-gen-6-fsb-2010-2018-rsb-performance-bushings-267041.html

For both the stock bar set up as above. or the upgraded 19mm or 20mm rear bars below.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/cke-ssp-performance-bushings-19mm-20mm-rsb-267038.html

Anyone interested can feel free to contact me by PM or at the email below.

CKE SSP product information and sales : chris.ckessp@gmail.com

I understand that bu I have had 20 year old cars that handled better at 70-80 mph and were able to keep straight line without constantly moving steering wheel which makes driving long ranges really not so fun.

my best guess is: Side of the vehicle is like a big sail boat, front of the vehicle is like brick not aerodynamic at all. Engine is light due to aluminum heads and block. Wide tires for its weight, electric steering wheel torque sensors too sensitive.

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&title=Modifying-Electric-Power-Steering&A=111532

Numbers?// Specs? Proof? I guess it your butt meter reading for your statement. First, I keep both hands on the wheel, keep full attention to my driving and my position on a road. This vehicle is very sensitive to micro inputs from the driver which forces correction. I've learn to adjust my driving habits to the vehicle and not vice versa. I drive my Jeep more then my Legacy and now my body memory adjust automatically between the two. I took me a while to get accustom to the steering since I drove bikes which I usually stay on the right/left edges and this vehicle doesn't do well in the same type driving.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul [emoji847]

Edited by Yoda_One
Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

• 2 weeks later...

It's that light 2.5 engine causing your uneasy feeling. :) The extra 167 lbs in the 3.6 (engine, springs, brakes, and dual exhaust) really helps. :)

Kidding aside, I have a 2017 and feel none of what you describe. I switched to snow tires right when I bought it, putting the stock tires back on this spring I do notice A LOT more sidewall flex just driving around, maybe that is what you are feeling?

I drove a rental 2015 Camry just after I purchased my Legacy. Drove it alot on windy roads and at highway speeds.

I was very happy to get back into my 2.5i Legacy, all stock, and enjoy a much better handling experience. I did not have to "body adjust" to any steering tendencies and it handled solid "straight out of the box."

Do you know your assembly date? Is it possible it was affected by this recall and never repaired?

http://www.cars101.com/recalls.html

5/13/16 Recall and Stop Sale/Do Not Drive on some new 2016 and early production 2017 Outbacks and Legacys assembled after February 29th that might have a bad steering column.

Recall #WTD-65

Around 52,000 (48,500 U.S. and 3,500 Canadian) 2016 and early 2017 Outback and Legacy might have an improperly manufactured steering column that can come loose resulting in a loss of steering and control.

Vehicles assembled within the production dates and VIN range have to be visually inspected by a Subaru dealer.

• 2 weeks later...
I purchased a 2018 legacy 3.6r in December 2017. I test drove the 4 cylinder and noticed it unstable above 60 and in cross winds. After having it for 6 months and driven it 5000 miles, I am very unhappy with how unstable it is in mild cross winds and at speeds 65 plus. Today, while standing still in traffic waiting to make a left hand turn, I was amazed how the car seemed buffeted by cars passing by, and, I would like to note, it was not windy out. In my opinion, this should not occur in a car of this weight and especially for the top of the line Legacy.

Please note I purchased the 3.6r after driving the 4 cylinder and my comments about the stability of the car apply to the 3.6r. The car has the correct tire pressure, etc. I agree with previous writers the oem tires are a disappointment. This is my last Subaru. My two prior Subarus (2000 and 2009,Foresters) were both lemons. Prior to the current models I owned a 2008 Hyundai Azera and a 2013 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 sedan and both were excellent over the road and in cross winds, had far better warranties and were without any discernable flaws.

Yep, You pass the driver's license examine with flying colors.

My 2017 3.6R is very steady on the highway, without the need for constant steering corrections.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul![emoji2]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Yep, You pass the driver's license examine with flying colors.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul![emoji2]

I just noted that he is talking about 70 to 80 mph. I drive at 65 and only occasionally faster so my experience does not include how the steering feels a those speeds.

• 2 weeks later...
I purchased a 2018 legacy 3.6r in December 2017. I test drove the 4 cylinder and noticed it unstable above 60 and in cross winds. After having it for 6 months and driven it 5000 miles, I am very unhappy with how unstable it is in mild cross winds and at speeds 65 plus. Today, while standing still in traffic waiting to make a left hand turn, I was amazed how the car seemed buffeted by cars passing by, and, I would like to note, it was not windy out. In my opinion, this should not occur in a car of this weight and especially for the top of the line Legacy.

I have a 2015 3.6R. I did the RSB 20mm upgrade.. My rear diff was replaced (took 3 months), and I have been thru 2 wheel bearings. I'm at 40,156 miles. The build quality of the car is subpar. I miss my 2006 Legacy, I would still have it, if it didn't fall victim to the common head gasket problem. After the 5k engine repair it wasn't worth waiting for it to blow up again so I traded for the 2015. My 06' drove like it was on rails. The 2015 is a joke on the highway. The car is all over the place. The only way to fix it is to get a different car. I'm stuck with this POS for the long haul, so I deal with it. I stopped writing posts about it because as you probably have noticed hardly anyone will agree with you. Oh yea, I have also replaced my tires. My 1976 Rabbit and my 1970' & 73' Beetle all drove better than the 2015. A buddy of mine has a 16' Outback and his car drives fine. My sister has a 17' Forrester and that drives fine. Maybe it's just some of the Legacys that have this issue. Subaru isn't the best when it comes to issuing recalls.. There is no stupid learning curve to electronic steering either. The car is twitchy and loose on center and it sucks. I'm done.

Unless the OEM bushings are falling apart, no one will notice the slight difference poly bushings will make for the small OE bar, compared to all of the other soft bits on the car. Most people who drive moderately might not even tell you swapped their OE bar for a larger one, unless you told them.

Besides, why not replace the bar for $100 while you’re down there and the bushing brackets are off!? I can see upgrading to poly then...just make sure to use some really tacky grease to keep the squeaking at bay...OE bushing tend not to make any noise for a long time.

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

Unless the OEM bushings are falling apart, no one will notice the slight difference poly bushings will make for the small OE bar, compared to all of the other soft bits on the car. Most people who drive moderately might not even tell you swapped their OE bar for a larger one, unless you told them.

Besides, why not replace the bar for $100 while you’re down there and the bushing brackets are off!? I can see upgrading to poly then...just make sure to use some really tacky grease to keep the squeaking at bay...OE bushing tend not to make any noise for a long time.

I would tend to disagree. Not just because I am the guy slinging the bushings. It's from my own experience. There are many testimonies on the Outback forum from different end end users and the feedback in overwhelming positive.

The materials used by CKE SSP are advance industrial urethanes. They are not cheap poly. They don't squeak. Lets look at the system. The sway bar bushings resist lateral loads against their comprehensive properties. The do not resist torsional loads, the bar is free to rotate. Keep in mind the sway bars rotate very little through their reactive motion. Sure there is friction at this point, however rubber is subjected to friction as well. The stock bushings are coated with a dry lubricant. (like a wax) This wax does nothing to resist moisture. A rubber sway bar bushing often has rust built up between the bar and the ID of the bushing. Rubber bushing in some situations make more noise than poly.

The sticky marine type greases are what typical poly manufacturers recommend and usually send with their product. Typical aftermarket bushing have an ID that usually matches the bar, or sometimes a tad loose. The sticky grease helps to prevent the water intrusion, you don't get the rust build up. CKE SSP bushings are a direct copy of the OEM bushings. OEM bushings are 1mm decrease in ID over the bar OD. This ensures a very tight fit around the bar, just like the OEM rubber. OEM bushings have a taper and seal (almost) on the edges. I send a lighter, thinner grease - SuperLube with PTFE. Once both surfaces are coated with the PTFE, and sealed tight, the system is then lubricated on the molecular level.

It is what it is. I have owned and driven many cars. The car has a dead spot on center that needs constant micro adjustments or you are going into another lane on the highway. At this point only thing that would make it stable would be to drop the front end with neg camber and go toe in. Blah. And if you don't notice a problem with your legacy,

luckily dense enough to not notice.

Just came back from a mini vacation with 4+hrs of highway driving. I used to say the car doesnt exactly inspire confidence but this last trip felt downright dangerous. I'm seriously considering selling the konis I plan on installing because while that will help body control some, the steering remains the issue. On another note, the brakes almost gave me a heart attack with THEIR less than confidence inspiring feel. I miss when cars were mechanical and not all electric

I will stress a rear sway bar upgrade and upgraded performance bushing will help in these stressful situations.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/cke-ssp-performance-bushings-19mm-20mm-rsb-267038.html

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/cke-ssp-gen-6-fsb-2010-2018-rsb-performance-bushings-267041.html

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Edited by traildogck

I've got the rear bar and even kartboy endlinks to stiffen it up more than the standard endlinks

May be this is what you are after :-p https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicles/model/class-C/model-C63W

Had this for a couple of days as a rental and was pretty impressed by how well it switches between Comfort and Sport+ modes with the flick of a button. Changes everything from suspension, engine timing, gear shifts, exhaust tune and throttle response.