LegacyGT.com

Problems w/ MAF after replacing camshaft sensor

I got under the hood of my XT this afternoon and replaced the passenger side camshaft position sensor, which was giving me a P0340 code. I compared the old and new sensors with a multimeter. The old sensor had considerably lower resistance than the new one, and seemed to have a short in one of the leads. I had removed the filter box and MAF sensor to get some more room to replace it, but when I hooked everything back up I forgot to hook the MAF sensor back. After I hooked the battery back up, I tried to start the car. Of course, without the MAF sensor it ran like crap. I hooked it back up, then it wouldn't even crank. I unhooked the battery to reset the ECU. Now it will crank, but only if I turn the key to "ON" 2-3 times before cranking the car. It's like the fuel pump has to kick on and off a few times before the engine will start. But once it does start, it runs perfectly fine. Right now I have the battery disconnected, and I'll hook it back up and try again tomorrow after work.

I'm so irritated and pissed off, and I don't know where to start looking for problems now. A buddy of mine has been checking CEL codes for me, but if this is going to be an on-going project I need to get my own scanner, or better yet a cable and diagnostic software for a spare laptop I have.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

The service manual may help.

Hopefully resetting the ECU will help.

unplug the connectors and plug them back in too, may you just don't have one seated well.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Lots of helpful info in that manual, thanks! I'll try reseating all the connectors I disconnected before hooking the battery back up. If that doesn't work, I read in another thread that the ECU may just need to do some re-learning before it'll run right. I'll also break out the multimeter again and start checking the harnesses.

Archived