LegacyGT.com

Diagnosing a potentially faulty camshaft position sensor? (P0340/41)

My 2005 Outback XT died on me today. No prior issues, no warnings, it just sputtered and died going 35mph. After several attempts, it cranked back, ran fine for 5 minutes (I stayed parked), then quit again. It would also run really rough before dying, or if you gave it a little gas. I called a friend to come to where I was at so he could hook up his diagnostic computer and see what the problem was. The CEL was already on for a P0420, which I'm in the process of diagnosing, but there was also a P0340 (Camshaft Position Sensor - Bank #1). After cranking and stalling it a few more times, I finally got it to stay running long enough for me to turn around and get back on the road. It sputtered for about 75 yards, then ran perfectly fine the rest of the way home. After parking I turned it off, then it wouldn't crank back.

Now, my initial though was that the fuel pump had died, so I'm relieved to find out I don't have to buy another one, but now I have to figured out what's up with the camshaft position sensors. From what I can tell, the engine is in time, since it goes back and forth between running perfectly fine and running like crap before stalling. Do any of you guys have any experience with replacing these sensors? Is there any way to diagnose them when I pull them out? Would the crankshaft sensor(s) have anything to do with this? If bank #1 is the driver side, would it be worth my while to also replace the passenger side sensor?

Thanks for any help

Sweet, the passenger side one looks a little easier to get to. That makes sense, the turbo is right above it. Is it worth the extra $45 for the Subaru OEM sensor or will a NAPA or Duralast sensor be sufficient?

Archived