LegacyGT.com

2010 Legacy 3.6R Sedan Towing Small Boat Short Distances

Whatsup guys! Recently bought a 2010 Legacy 3.6R Sedan with only 48k miles on it. Garage kept and one owner, Was quite the find!

Either way, I have a small project boat that i need to be able to move from my property to my friends property while I work on it.. I am estimating the weight at 1,200lbs with Trailer/Motor... Any one see any major problems with this? The longest distance traveled would probably .5 mile, if that...

There is very limited information about this online and I am unsure of the towing limits of this car(I have read 1000 lbs). I have seen a few people doing it but not much feedback or available information.

Keep in mind, Im talking SHORT and SLOW trips... Can't image the wear and tear would be that bad on transmission.

Any hitch recommendations?

ANY FEEDBACK OR INPUT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED !

You can do it without issue, especially if you just keep in mind your weight, speed and need for additional braking distance. I have towed 1000 pounds with both my 2012 Legacy GT and my 2009 Forester XT fairly long distances and the cars both handle it well. I even did a 120 mile trip 5000 feet up into the mountains with my Forester and it was easy.

If you want a relatively hidden option, EcoHitch is your best bet but expensive. You can just get a Curt hitch for about 1/2 that price. Install yourself is easy as well.

You can do it without issue, especially if you just keep in mind your weight, speed and need for additional braking distance. I have towed 1000 pounds with both my 2012 Legacy GT and my 2009 Forester XT fairly long distances and the cars both handle it well. I even did a 120 mile trip 5000 feet up into the mountains with my Forester and it was easy.

If you want a relatively hidden option, EcoHitch is your best bet but expensive. You can just get a Curt hitch for about 1/2 that price. Install yourself is easy as well.

Thank you! I have an 05 Legacy GT not currently running :nono: would prefer to use that but not an option, so the "new" 3.6R will have to do the trick !

got a whole section on towing on the outback board.

lots of threads on towing with a 3.6 outback,

but I don't remember any with a legacy 3.6.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/130-towing/

lots of people like to use their subarus on the boat ramps as the AWD is so great. ...some put a extra length of tubing on the vent of the rear diff to keep water from leaking into it.

a few of the other things that limit max weight: cooling and brakes. ...and remember the listing max capacities are on a "new" car, with a new rad, new brakes, and new suspension. ...not all those things 8 years old. so think about upkeep / maint. and leave extra space in front of you to stop.

monitor your cooling temps, (even on a android phone with torque pro).

______

what is the max hitch weight on your car as found in the owners manual?

outbacks are all 200lbs, foresters I think come in at 180lbs.?

Ascent Base will be 200lbs, with the premium limited and touring at 500lbs.

I tow my boat with my '12 Legacy GT and had towed it with my old '12 2.5i 6MT as well. I have the Eco-hitch. The boat, trailer, and equipment is about 1300-1400#.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=256186&d=1506953182

I would not do the easy to install trailer hitch that hangs down, it will likely bottom out. One my friend's did a hitch like that on a sedan, it makes a horrible noise and thud when it bottoms out. I usually only tow my boat about 1 mile or so to the ramp. I have towed it 3 times the 100 mile trip to and from house to my family's cottage. (2 times with my 2.5i, once with my GT)

The 5th Gen Legacy is rated for 1000#. The same Outbacks are rated to tow 2700#, I accidently thought my 2.5i was rated for 2700# as the prior gen was rated for that (I was initially in the market for a 4th Gen Legacy). I didn't realize until I bought it that the rating had been dropped to 1000#. I try to mostly do the short trip towing trips with my Legacy.

lots of people like to use their subarus on the boat ramps as the AWD is so great. ...some put a extra length of tubing on the vent of the rear diff to keep water from leaking into it.

I keep my Legacy out of the water when I am at the boat ramp. That would be some deep water to get to the differential or the differential vent wet. Only on ramp did my rear tires and muffler got wet on my 2.5i (I am also lowered 1"). Usually the rear bumper is just at the water line for the ramps I use and I am able to get/jump to my trailer tongue with out taking my shoes off and getting wet.

got a whole section on towing on the outback board.

lots of threads on towing with a 3.6 outback,

but I don't remember any with a legacy 3.6.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/130-towing/

a few of the other things that limit max weight: cooling and brakes. ...and remember the listing max capacities are on a "new" car, with a new rad, new brakes, and new suspension. ...not all those things 8 years old. so think about upkeep / maint. and leave extra space in front of you to stop.

monitor your cooling temps, (even on a android phone with torque pro).

______

what is the max hitch weight on your car as found in the owners manual?

outbacks are all 200lbs, foresters I think come in at 180lbs.?

Ascent Base will be 200lbs, with the premium limited and touring at 500lbs.

I will need to check and let you know! Appreciate all the input!

I tow my boat with my '12 Legacy GT and had towed it with my old '12 2.5i 6MT as well. I have the Eco-hitch. The boat, trailer, and equipment is about 1300-1400#.

I would not do the easy to install trailer hitch that hangs down, it will likely bottom out. One my friend's did a hitch like that on a sedan, it makes a horrible noise and thud when it bottoms out. I usually only tow my boat about 1 mile or so to the ramp. I have towed it 3 times the 100 mile trip to and from house to my family's cottage. (2 times with my 2.5i, once with my GT)

The 5th Gen Legacy is rated for 1000#. The same Outbacks are rated to tow 2700#, I accidently thought my 2.5i was rated for 2700# as the prior gen was rated for that (I was initially in the market for a 4th Gen Legacy). I didn't realize until I bought it that the rating had been dropped to 1000#. I try to mostly do the short trip towing trips with my Legacy.

Sweet Ride man!! Someday i will have a 5th Gen LGT.

Is that a Boston Whaler Super Sport? And arent you worried about backing the car in to the water??

I keep my Legacy out of the water when I am at the boat ramp. That would be some deep water to get to the differential or the differential vent wet. Only on ramp did my rear tires and muffler got wet on my 2.5i (I am also lowered 1"). Usually the rear bumper is just at the water line for the ramps I use and I am able to get/jump to my trailer tongue with out taking my shoes off and getting wet.

do you know what the listed tonque max is from the owners manual.

....sweet looking ride there. :wub:

Thanks for the compliments

Is that a Boston Whaler Super Sport? And arent you worried about backing the car in to the water??

Yes it is a Boston Whaler 15' SuperSport. I am not worried about backing the car into the water, it really depends on the ramp angle whether or not the car gets wet. I have used the ramps around me with other vehicles (VW Sportswagen and Toyota Highlander), so I already knew that I didn't need to get my car wet.

do you know what the listed tonque max is from the owners manual.

The owners manuals in section 8 says 200# for tongue weight. Over 1000# requires trailer brakes, and the Legacy is limited to 1000#.

I am fairly certain I have towed well over 1k lbs more than once with the GT and she does it just fine, better dare I say than the gutless turd of an odyssey we have. I wouldn't be concerned about towing with the 3.6, it has a better transmission and more torque than most Subarus.

Got it, Thanks for all the help!

Sounds like I get the Ecohitch and let my 3.6R do the work :lol:

Can anyone send a link for the specific one ?

That is how I will proceed, Will post pics after first tow.

Got it, Thanks for all the help!

Sounds like I get the Ecohitch and let my 3.6R do the work :lol:

Can anyone send a link for the specific one ?

That is how I will proceed, Will post pics after first tow.

Here you go, pruned this info from GTeaser's old sale thread when he was selling his own one of these. https://torkliftcentral.com/2010-2014-subaru-legacy-ecohitch

• 6 months later...

What type of ball mount are using in the receiver/hitch? I figure I need something with a 6"-8" Rise to make up for the placement of the EcoHitch.. What do you think.. ?

My boat/trailer size/weight is almost identical to yours.. THANKS! :)

Archived