LegacyGT.com

What Did You Do To Your 6th Gen Today Thread - Vol 3

• 1 month later...

So I’ve got a giant crack in my windshield. This is probably the seventh time I’m about to replace this windshield. So anyhow, I was wondering if it’s possible to replace the windshield with an aftermarket one versus going OEM. Installer said I wouldn’t need to do recalibration based on their installation method. Any thoughts? I haven’t scheduled anything yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I’ve got a giant crack in my windshield. This is probably the seventh time I’m about to replace this windshield. So anyhow, I was wondering if it’s possible to replace the windshield with an aftermarket one versus going OEM. Installer said I wouldn’t need to do recalibration based on their installation method. Any thoughts? I haven’t scheduled anything yet.

Normally the insurance should cover the recalibration because it's a safety feature in the car. I would have the winshield repair company push the Insurance Adjuster. I've replaced 4 in mine and had to go around n around with my insurance and finally they caved.. and Actually they cover other cars that require calibration and have written in there Windshield policy to cover Calibration.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Normally the insurance should cover the recalibration because it's a safety feature in the car. I would have the winshield repair company push the Insurance Adjuster. I've replaced 4 in mine and had to go around n around with my insurance and finally they caved.. and Actually they cover other cars that require calibration and have written in there Windshield policy to cover Calibration.

Cool, I’ll reach back out to let them do it. I love everything about the Legacy but the windshield is the absolute worse part of owning that car

Cool, I’ll reach back out to let them do it. I love everything about the Legacy but the windshield is the absolute worse part of owning that car

I agree.. But like the windshield guy tell me. The edges are the worse for Rock chips its the weakest area and for me all 4 of mine were on the edges. The middle of the glass usually can be filled if its small and caught early..

• 2 weeks later...

Because of where some of our friends live and places we like to go, we spend a lot of time without cell coverage. As we use our phones to navigate and phones need cell towers for their GPS, we have a GPS receiver in the car. I first bought one in late 2014, shortly after we bought the car, as the car's original software would shut down the phone's navigation. (Subaru later fixed this.) As others might be interested I thought I'd comment on my experience with three units:

Dual XPS-150a - Our first unit. It needed an app running on an iPhone to work, but it worked well. 16 years later it stopped seeing the satellites. Customer Service told me to open the unit, unplug the battery (being careful to not rip the wires loose), wait 10 minutes, and reassemble. I ripped the wires lose and ruined the unit. (If I were to do it again, I'd cut the wires and solder them back together.) So I looked for a new unit - preferably one with an easy-to-unplug battery and able to support more than one phone.

Garmin Gl0 - Costs the same as the 150a but has a replaceable battery and supports two simultaneous users. I ordered one and tested it. My main problem with it was that when I went far enough away to lose the bluetooth connection it didn't automatically reconnect when I returned. My second problem was that I'd become used to using an iPhone app to check that the unit was working properly; Garmin doesn't have such an app for this unit.

Bad Elf 2200 GPS Pro - Costs 50% more, but Amazon had a "like new" unit available for less, which I bought. It supports 5 users, can be read directly, reconnects automatically when I'm near the car, has a (factory) replaceable battery, and an app that gives its status and will update it. Also, when it's connected to my car by USB it turns off shortly after the car is turned off. It's now in my back window, velcroed so it won't move around, and the silver label on its back covered with black electrical tape so that no one notices it. I would probably have been just as satisfied with a Dual XPS-160, but there wasn't one available at a comparable price.

... phones need cell towers for their GPS ...

That's simply not true. The GPS system is satellite based, and all modern "smart" cell phones include a stand-alone GPS receiver that will provide location information accurate within a few dozen yards ... anywhere on Earth, as long as you have a clear view of the sky. Most phones also support location via the the Russian GLONASS system, in addition to GPS.

Perhaps by "GPS" you mean mapping. That's a whole different topic, but even then there are mobile mapping apps (e.g. Google Maps, Here We Go, etc.) that allow downloading map data to eliminate dependence on availability of a clean cellular signal.

Several years ago my wife and I had a trip to Vienna, Austria. I simply downloaded street-level maps of Austria before we left, and Here We Go provided all the help we needed to navigate Vienna using just my phone ... with no cell service on our US-standard phones.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

A common misconception. Phones use Assisted GPS, which uses cell towers. See https://www.virtuallocation.com/iphone-location/iphone-gps-accuracy.html for one of many explanations. A major city isn’t a test; Vermont’s Northeast Kingdom is a test - dozens of miles without a cell tower, and your maps won’t work.

The GPS in my Android phone works just fine "unassisted." The location where the photo below was taken (western New Mexico) is more than 60 miles from the nearest cell tower. I can personally attest that there are numerous places on the huge Navajo reservation ... three times the size of Vermont ... that lack cellular service, but GPS continues to work just fine.

(I do agree that cellular assist may produce an faster initial fix in cases where the GPS receiver has a stale almanac, or in cases where the phone has moved a substantial distance since its GPS receiver was last used.)

Back to the initial point: GPS mapping apps like Google Maps and Here We Go do not require cellular "assist" for proper operation.

444661971_ChacoRoad2(edited).thumb.jpg.dd7a6e5614b422f278ec6d7da6c5383d.jpg

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I accept your experience, and the operation of your Android phone. However, without cell service my (first SE) iPhone shows the downloaded map, but doesn't move either the map or the car on the map when the external GPS receiver is turned off until I either turn it on or approach a cell tower.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Looking into getting a car fire extinguisher. Any recommendations on mounts and the best place to mount in the car?

I think they have some mounts that attach under the front seat using the seat bolts or you can custom fit one in the trunk up under rhe rear deck with quick release setup..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well my horn hasn't worked in over a year but wasn't to worried because I had my air horn. I was pretty sure itvwas my Clock Spring because the horn would work in certain positions then one day just stopped. So the other day I was getting a oil change at the dealer and asked parts if they had a Clock Spring luckily they had one in stock which tells me they have issues with them. Well after the replacement Horn worked as advertised, but I lost my Digital readout from my Damd Steering Wheel and Paddle Shifters.. So today decided to tear into it to find the problem. Wiring was all over the place so removed the zip ties and inspected the wiring and I discovered a Broken Ground Wire..[emoji2962] So repaired the Ground and routed the wiring made it cleaner and now everything works 4.0..[emoji41][emoji41][emoji41] Sorry for the long post..20220226_091805.thumb.jpg.b747c0cc7c17327e0785e1e4bf8b5fcd.jpg

20220226_085148.thumb.jpg.08c96116eecf38ec76ce5090df1806fa.jpg

20220226_085224.thumb.jpg.fff81f8fdc412000793fb4e8bd2c26c5.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Finally decided to change front and rear fluid @61K,rear was easy, as for the front a bit more work and had issue when i was filling it up,i already put in about over 2 1/2 qts and still no fluid coming out of the check hole,i was like worried a bit but i decided to check the check hole and found a bunch of sludge blocking the hole and so i used a screwdriver and poke the hole and fluid started flowing out,so i just let the fluids come out till it comes to a drip and closed it up,but car runs much smoother.i used Mobile 1 75/90.

Looking into getting a car fire extinguisher. Any recommendations on mounts and the best place to mount in the car?

I have these (https://elementfire.com/) at home by the fire place and kitchen. They are nice and compact for the car as well. Haven't had to use them :icon_chee: so can't speak for their performance personally; but they have good reviews on the interwebs

• 3 weeks later...

Well after 6yrs ridin on Airrex setup decided to install Whiteline Rear Lower Control Arms and Moog Toe Links to dial in the perfect alignment.. Was able to lower my Rear pressure to get a better ride as well.. My shop was able to set everything at stock specs. I only run 8.5 Wide Rims I might go 9" Wide but don't want aggressive Camber the way the price of tires are going up like everything else in the world...[emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]20220407_104011.thumb.jpg.31894b9fc61611b186b2215d5184afd0.jpg

20220407_100345.jpg.5aa6513b34c4c7e0d99c8c0c4b08fb91.jpg

20220407_112021.jpg.ca145e14640cf3f12548d99225c5c88e.jpg

20220407_092606.thumb.jpg.3a668d94487cb6b1e56451d107890aec.jpg