LegacyGT.com

Anyone else have issues with BSD/RCTA failures? 2017 Legacy Limited

We recently had the BSD/RCTA system display error messages saying that it was disabled. It first happened a few times, then became a daily occurance. We have about 20k on our 2017 Legacy 2.5 Limited.

Took it back to the dealer, who reset and cleared the errors for the system and let us know that there was a 50/50 chance of it working and that they already ordered replacement parts for in the event the fix did not work.

Leaving the dealership, the BSD/RCTA system disabled error returned.

After waiting about a week, we took our Legacy back in to have the BSD/RCTA system replaced, which apparently is a fairly tedious job requiring rear bumper removal, and re-calibration of the system.

Finally the issue was fixed (so far, knocking on wood) after they replaced the BSD/RCTA system sensors.

Looking online, it seems like this is a fairly common issue. I am just curious if anyone has experienced the same or similar issues.

Thanks.

I had issues earlier this winter, warning tone, disabled, etc.

Now it works every time, but it seems to boot up slow, and the indicator light may not say ok, but it gives me a warning if cars are approaching as I back out of a spot.

I have the error come up every now and then. It comes on a little after I start the car. When I stop at the first traffic light, I turn off the car and start it back up, and then it works well the rest of the way and few days after.

I'm out of the standard warranty, so I haven't made the effort to take it in yet. Once it starts happening more often, I'll take it in.

Right now the dealer is just going to restart the engine, and tell me there were no errors recorded and charge me an hour labor at the very least; then ask me to come back if it happens again..

I don't have the problem on my OB, so I know something is starting to fail on the legacy..

Thanks guys. Obviously grateful for the warranty and our Subaru dealer handled the problem fairly, which is always nice. I am definitely glad that we opted to get the 5 year 100k gold plus warranty. All the nice bells and whistles newer cars have are great.....until the electronics start to give issues....

Looks like you guys are all in cold weather regions. If I had to blame something it would be the weather, specially ice messing with the sensors. Edited by laz
---

Looks like you guys are all in cold weather regions. If I had to blame something it would be the weather, specially ice messing with the sensors.

I agree. I believe the hot/cold/hot/cold changes affect electronic boards and solder joints sometimes causing them to fail prematurely.

The BSD/RCTA system / radar sensors actually had a code for internal failure. Apparently there are other errors that can be generated that can be related to ice build up or debris on the bumper, blocking the radar sensors, etc.

I just hope that electronic components failure does not become a more regular occurring thing with all the additional electronics of modern tech in cars. I have never had an issue with Subaru reliability, but I would imagine that Subaru doesn't make every single component of their vehicles. Likely the radar sensor units are made by another manufacturer, whom we can only hope keeps Subaru's high standard of reliability.

my system was originally malfunctioning when there was snow/ice.

But this week has been 40-50 degrees, and no ice/snow, and it still takes a while to come back online.

i.e., it ain't the weather.

Edited by upstater

• 4 years later...

Our Legacy was recently involved in a minor fender bender. Insurance estimated $1,800 to repair the right rear corner plus supplemental cost to fix the disabled BSW/RCTA. Body shops around warned of a  long wait due to backlog on parts availability so I settled for a mobile body shop who did a decent job and got it all done in one day on our driveway. Next, I brought the car to my regular Subaru dealer to address the disabled BSW/RCTA. Ended up authorizing a $150 diagnostic charge and $350 to replace the housing for the sensor. The Service Advisor came back later to report that the sensor module was acting up and would cost an additional $823 to replace. Frustrated, I  declined further service and thought perhaps of getting a second opinion, Abouts two weeks ago, I picked up 4 50-lb bags of play sand and loaded them in the trunk. Left the bags in the car for almost half a day until I got home. The next time I drove the car, the dashboard light warning that the BSW/RTCA is disabled disappeared and it started giving the usual warning alerts of any incoming vehicles when backing up. Probably too early to say but a little procastination did pay. Maybe all that weight from the sandbags corrected the problem?

Not same car but I had a dented bumper on my forester. The impact broke one of the bolts ears in the sensor bracket and it was hanging. I just glued it back together and bolted it on right. Worked perfectly. 

---