LegacyGT.com

VF52 with Forged Engine - Need your opinions/thoughts

Hey guys,

The engine from my 05' is taking quiet a bit of oil and starting to take some prestone as well.

I have a buddy which has a fully rebuild/forged engine for sale which I'm really considering as there isn't a big difference in $$$ vs. if I were to buy OEM from a dealer.

Here are my current parts/mods:

- AVO Top Mount IC....I believe its the first version

- VF52 freshly rebuilt last year

- 3" catless UP/DP with stock mid and Y to Prodrive mufflers

- Stock Injectors and Fuel pump

- Stock air intake

Seeing the engine needs to come out and need to swap out my heads & intake...here's what I've been considering to get for the install/tune:

- Silicone turbo inlet (AVO, PERRIN or COBB)

- Upgraded fuel pump (DW or COBB)

- Injectors (Not sure on the CC....would DW740cc be too much?)

- CAI (COBB)

- Custom mid & y pipe (2.25" or 3")

- TGV delete

- 3 port Boost Solenoid

My main goal is to try and get the max power gains out of my VF52 and wondering if the parts I'm considering are worth it and if so, which one(s) would you consider as being "mandatory" and which ones can I go without if budget is also a concern?

In reading this sticky: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/turboi-wiki-twist-178684.html There's this blurb about the injectors....so I'm wondering if upgrading the injectors is even necessary for this project?

"Injectors: Stock injectors should be running at around 95% so this could be said to be the critical limiting factor. These turbos do run out of breath at high rpm and high boost, and in most cases more power and reliability can be had by tapering boost off and running more ignition timing. Therefore adding larger injectors to this range of turbos will not usually improve power potential on pump gas...."

Any experience/advice you can share would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!

Eric

1. Turbo inlet - not needed. You could replace new with OEM if you want to save money.

2. Upgraded fuel pump. Good idea.

3. Injectors. Not needed for a VF52. You might be the slightest bit limited on stock. But, it's the slightest bit.

4. CAI. Not needed. Would probably get you a little more torque though and lot's of fun noises.

5. Custom mid / y. Not needed

6. TGV delete. Also not needed. but, because everything is out. Might as well. Super cheap if you DIY.

7. 3 port solenoid. Not needed, but depending on the tuner is recommended.

Word dump,

Of the items you listed probably only the CAI intake would make a measurable impact. Probably a pretty minor impact overall though. The 3 port boost solenoid allows your tuner greater control. If they recommend it I would get it. You stock injectors are fine, unless you want to run E85. Maybe clean them? Your current fuel pump is old, so might as well replace it. It's pretty easy to do.

Inlets and exhaust is just fun bling.

I have basically the same set-up VF-52 and a forged engine. Getting a bigger topmount (i.e. not the OEM) probably made the most impact (still slight), because the tuner was able to turn up the boost.

So, mandatory items from your list.

1. replacement OEM turbo inlet - if yours is torn.

2. Fuel pump (OEM is super old at this point and you will be asking more of it)

3. 3 port EBCS - if recommended by your tuner. I was told it's a nice to have, but not needed. So I bought it to make his job easier (I am e-tuned)

In regards to the TGV deletes......will I be able to start the car and drive it around for the break in before going to the tuner?

Any issues other than coding I need to be aware of?

In regards to the TGV deletes......will I be able to start the car and drive it around for the break in before going to the tuner?

No, the car will def stumble on startup and when the engine is cold and trying to idle. It'll also throw a code.

TGV's may help in the cold weather you get.

I still have mine. My vf52 on stock fueling has become a set up a lot of followed.

http://www.tuningalliance.com did a wonderful job of tuning the car and its a blast to drive every day.

read my click here link in my sig.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

No, you should not break it in without getting a break in tune from a tuner if you are changing any hard parts.

I kept TGVs due to benefits with little to loose in power.

3-port boost solenoid is essential to maximize spool

I went for bigger injectors due to E85

Yea, having E85 easily accessible in my area I would have most def. explored this option. :)

In regards to the 3 port....are you running an OEM turbo (VF52 or other) or did your tuner have a preference for this? Reason I ask is I'm hearing/reading about this and a 3 port seems more necessary for after market / bigger turbo set ups?

Thanks!

In regards to the 3 port....are you running an OEM turbo (VF52 or other) or did your tuner have a preference for this? Reason I ask is I'm hearing/reading about this and a 3 port seems more necessary for after market / bigger turbo set ups?

Thanks!

I've got BNR EVO16G

Three port is just more quick, precise way to control pressure (WG)

This enables more aggressive boost built up without overshoot. Otherwise there is a need to take a more conservative approach. 3-port is such a small cost in overall that I don't see a point not to do it.

I've got BNR EVO16G

Three port is just more quick, precise way to control pressure (WG)

This enables more aggressive boost built up without overshoot. Otherwise there is a need to take a more conservative approach. 3-port is such a small cost in overall that I don't see a point not to do it.

Agreed - and to logically further the point - it allows tuners to work more effectively - so if your paying your tuner by the hour - it will cost you more for them to tune without it:p - and most likely the tune will better dialed in with it:cool:

Just do it:lol:

That's perfect!!

The tuner I'll be dealing with is highly recommended in my area, so that makes me think he'll more than likely want/need the 3 port....the final result after to all is to get the max performance out of everything!! :):)

Brings me to my next question.....what do you guys recommend I get?

Thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...
I haven’t been able to find much information on this but can you run a vf52 turbo with a COBB Accessport or will I need a custom tune?

Custom tune, possibly using an Accessport. There isn’t an OTS tune on the AP for a VF52 on a Legacy GT.

Archived