LegacyGT.com

Turbo noise after hard driving - urgent advice required

Hello,

I have a 2005 LGT tuned to about 250 whp with VF34 turbo. After about 2 hours of lively mountain driving this sound occured:

I've read that this is a bad sign to a turbo failure, but after a 10 minute rest the sound almost disappeared - there is noise at WOT, while at video it is present BEFORE 0 boost.

No overboosting, power delivery is normal, no dashboard lights, everything is normal otherwise. No sound while revving the car at a stop, only on load.

The problem ATM is that I'm 300 miles away from home, in the mountains, with no reliable mechanic to help me and I have to go off on Tuesday. Should I drive home carefully, no harsh driving or this might end badly for the engine?

It kind of just sounds like induction sounds...

Maybe your turbo inlet is collapsing under boost?

Pull your dipstick and check for sparkles to make sure the oil is clean. If you see the glitters, I'd be wary of driving it home.

Would be nice to pull a learning view and check your fuel trims to see if a hose popped off, but I doubt you have the needed equipment at hand. Thoroughly look around at all vacuum hoses.

But if the problem would be the turbo inlet, wouldn't I get AFR check engine error?

Still, I'll check the inlet just to be sure.

EDIT: on this note - I've recently had my PCV valve changed, so I'll look into this more carefully.

So I checked all points provided by this thread: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/intake-vacuum-leaks-and-you-pics-inside-235626.html

Everything was tight and orderly except this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ofkqz653fuehyk/IMG_20180306_103354541_HDR.jpg?dl=0

Looks like after the PCV install, the mechanics did a poor job installing the AVO intercooler.

I'll take off now, will post updates after a couple of hours of driving.

Those tmic units are a bitch to get right. The turbo flange should be the first connection, being that it is a physical constraint. If it were the final connection, all of the other connection points add constraints which make the turbo flange difficult to align.

Also fwiw a learning view snapshot would have likely provided a clue that you had a post turbo boost leak from the fine learning fuel trims. I always bring my laptop and cable on extended trips just in case.

FYI, I like to get the tb hose situated and then connect the turbo flange. But it will work either way. Dont do the work with the car/turbo hot and be cautious of cross threading the turbo flange bolts. Seen far too may cross threaded.

I got home safely, however, after a long drive home, the car got much louder at the engine so it was evident there was an exhaust leak. My visit to a mechanic confirmed this, tomorrow, I hope, will have my car and all the information about the problem.

Still, I'm gonna find a replacement for the turbo-to-TMIC gasket, just in case.

Same thing happened to me about 6 years ago. Was hearing a bunch of noise after a little spirited driving. And last place I looked was the manifolds to find those bolts missing......gremlins

Archived