LegacyGT.com

2005 GT Wagon or get newer?

Mr. Electric Wizard

There never was, nor wil there ever again be, a wagon like the '05 LGT 5MT. The German wagons were heavier, more complicated and never enjoyed the huge aftermarket support the LGT did/does, further enhanced by the success of the WRX/STI.

It's so good, some connoisseurs even own two... ;)

Yup ;)

There were also Swedish wagons. Same applies. Saab Turbo X SportCombi was interesting, but heavy, expensive and haldex (and super rare). V70R was nice, but again heavy, expensive, haldex and even less reliable.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These cars usually fall into 2 camps.

The ones that have not been modified and have some issues (check engine light or whatever), and the ones that have had lots of work done.

The former can usually be had for 2-4K, while the latter seem to go for +11k.

These are asking prices obviously.

If it were you, which would you go for?

Personally, I'm leaning towards the cheaper option. Get it running right and modify over time.

Thoughts?

11k is just a lot of money to spend on a 13 year old car, modified or not.

These cars usually fall into 2 camps.

The ones that have not been modified and have some issues (check engine light or whatever), and the ones that have had lots of work done.

The former can usually be had for 2-4K, while the latter seem to go for +11k.

These are asking prices obviously.

If it were you, which would you go for?

Personally, I'm leaning towards the cheaper option. Get it running right and modify over time.

Thoughts?

11k is just a lot of money to spend on a 13 year old car, modified or not.

Depends what are your priorities. A high mileage one may have a lot of cosmetic issues. And mechanically may require lots of work.

I'd value a properly modified and maintained one way more.

E.g. I would not sell you either of mine even if you offered me $20k. $25k I'd probably have to think about it, but then I don't expect anyone to make such an offer. Both of my wagons are in low 50k miles and extensively modified and in perfect cosmetic shape. One never driven in winter, other saw maybe 4 winters.

To clarify what I really meant above: each car should be judged on its own merits: condition, history, etc. E.g. I'd not assume stock cars were not abused, and modded were. Also getting a modded car means most likely you're getting mods at deep discount. Of course, this makes sense only if the car was modded right.

My silver wagon has less than 10k miles. Probably lowest mileage wagon of all time. :rolleyes:

And when/where did you get that one? Now I thought I was crazy keeping one of wagons off the road in winter, etc, but even then still managed to put 50+k miles on it....

Thanks for all the replies, guys!

If I was new to turbo wagons, I'd be talking to my local Audi dealer and putting a deposit down on the rs6 avant coming to the US this year.

Barring that, I would look for a wagon in the color combo you want. Then contact one of the vendors on here to build a motor for you. Get the six speed transmission upgrade. Ignore the brembo upgrade unless money means nothing. Find a nice coilover setup and set for an inch lower than stock. Put on 18x8 rpf1 with 225 Michelin SuperSports. Interior upgrades it's hard to beat the jdm double din update. Get Hid or led headlights. Get the venair under the hood hoses update.

Probably $20-25k depending on labor costs, you'll have the wagon Subaru could sell like hotcakes today. Audi expects to sell 5,000 of RS avants at 90,000 per.

RS6 Avant confirmed for the US? Even if, it won't be a manual anyway...

5000 RS avants in the USA? Sounds like a joke. If they sold 100 that would be a success.

Audi brought the tt-rs. So it's not out of the question :-)

Not gonna happen. :spin: While Audi has sold quite a few Allroads, the RS6 Avant is a completely different animal & pricepoint. Furthermore, with gas prices so low, Americans are back on parade float-sized trucks/SUVs/crossovers.

If I was new to turbo wagons, I'd be talking to my local Audi dealer and putting a deposit down on the rs6 avant coming to the US this year.

Barring that, I would look for a wagon in the color combo you want. Then contact one of the vendors on here to build a motor for you. Get the six speed transmission upgrade. Ignore the brembo upgrade unless money means nothing. Find a nice coilover setup and set for an inch lower than stock. Put on 18x8 rpf1 with 225 Michelin SuperSports. Interior upgrades it's hard to beat the jdm double din update. Get Hid or led headlights. Get the venair under the hood hoses update.

Probably $20-25k depending on labor costs, you'll have the wagon Subaru could sell like hotcakes today. Audi expects to sell 5,000 of RS avants at 90,000 per.

So, basically you're saying to not worry about the engine being beat on and just get one that is cosmetically nice, and in the color I want.

Get the engine built, etc.

That's the way I usually go too because the startup cost is cheaper.

I have a good mechanic that can build a good block here in Nashville, so that's no biggie.

I sure wish I could have gotten that white one that I mentioned in my first post for 2k.

So, basically you're saying to not worry about the engine being beat on and just get one that is cosmetically nice, and in the color I want.

Get the engine built, etc.

That's the way I usually go too because the startup cost is cheaper.

I have a good mechanic that can build a good block here in Nashville, so that's no biggie.

I sure wish I could have gotten that white one that I mentioned in my first post for 2k.

Having a good mechanic and having a good Subaru shop are 2 vastly different things. Usually found out when the motor blows up at 5-10k. Tolerances in a Subaru motor are 1/100ths of a mm. Not 1/1000ths of an inch.

The 05 model year cars shipped in 04 to early 05. So roughly 14years old. Find a well cared for first owner car. The chance of broken parts and bolts is less. Look for a car that was always southern or west coast...no rust.

Mweiner has his for sale here. 11k? For the work done on that car? Buy it be happy.

Again, I'd not overgeneralize the 1 owner car. One of mine I bought new, other I bought 19k mile young from the west coast. The 2 owner one is in better condition as this is the one that was never exposed to winter/salt.

Having a good mechanic and having a good Subaru shop are 2 vastly different things. Usually found out when the motor blows up at 5-10k. Tolerances in a Subaru motor are 1/100ths of a mm. Not 1/1000ths of an inch.

The 05 model year cars shipped in 04 to early 05. So roughly 14years old. Find a well cared for first owner car. The chance of broken parts and bolts is less. Look for a car that was always southern or west coast...no rust.

Mweiner has his for sale here. 11k? For the work done on that car? Buy it be happy.

He is a former Subaru Master Technician. He's got a 400whp 2005 GT Wagon too. :)

Archived