LegacyGT.com

Advice on piston damage

Hey guys,

I've got my EJ255 engine sitting on an engine stand, the heads are at the machine shop and the turbo is being rebuilt.

The heads came off last night (despite the stupid camshaft sprocket bolts!) and I noticed cylinder 1 has some damage. Most of it being right on the top (crown) of the piston. I'd love to hear what you guys would do in this situation as I'm not highly experienced rebuilding engines and I have some reticence about delving deeper.

The guy at the machine shop says the head looks fine despite just a bit of damage. He is concerned that the piston rings could have caught the foreign object.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TiVnuzJzq7XCcnGQ2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hUqf1twANlXFBXaZ2

hUqf1twANlXFBXaZ2

H7Cuh6rk1TmNiprF3

vyGPFROyp18Bli832

FFRbXD7WTxtAm2k93

I was having some occasional misfiring for the last couple years...I once got a misfire code but it was for cylinder 3 so not sure there is any connection.

What do you think? Seems like there was no problem before so do I just leave it alone? Or dig even deeper into this mess?

Do you know how it happened? What does the cylinder wall look like?

I wish I had a picture of the wall. It really doesn't look "scored" or "scratched" at all. But I will say you can see some markings where it was rubbed. Based on the cylinder wall I would say it doesn't look like anything is currently wedged int the piston rings.

As for the cause...about 6 months (maybe 2,000 miles ago) I fired up the car to an AWFUL racket that sounded like it was rhythmic with the engine as it idled. I thought maybe a bad lower end knock or something being bashed around inside the motor. But as I pulled off the turbo I saw that the compressor wheel was badly dinged up. So clearly it sucked some foreign object into it...whether that made it into the cylinder is unknown.

I'd be a little weary of just letting it be. A light hone if the cylinders are decent and new piston + rings all around would be my preference. Your mechanic/machine shop will have there opinions for you. If you trust them, go with they're suggestions

I'd be a little weary of just letting it be. A light hone if the cylinders are decent and new piston + rings all around would be my preference. Your mechanic/machine shop will have there opinions for you. If you trust them, go with they're suggestions

Yeah you're probably right...I'm really considering replacing the piston and rings at minimum on cylinder 1 where the damage is. I'm trying not to dump too much money into it at this point but definitely want to be wise with how much work has already been done to get to this point...

Archived