LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 2nd Generation Subaru today? - V3

picture.php?albumid=2721&pictureid=12377

installed the new front seats, but the driver's will be a bench seat until i install the wiring harness to hook up the slider motor. i thought i'd luck out and have the wires under my seat already but it looks like i'm going to have to wire it myself. the plugs for the seat heaters matched right up though. now back to the junkyard.

Nice find. Those look like 00-04ish seats though. 05+ are much more bolstered IIRC.

Looking for something similar for my 98 BD GT, which is manual all the way, with no seat heaters nor electrical adjustability. :)

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Yeah I had to guess on the year. It was the OBS with the squarish headlights like my 06 Baja has. I forgot the Legacy got a few facelifts that the Baja didn't. But yeah, thanks, it was a lucky find. The guy at the junkyard said they were gonna sell the OBS but then realized it needed timing belt/water pump etc and they decided to just put it in the u-pull-it yard. $38 per seat, no matter if leather, cloth, heated, auto, anything. I lucked out getting to the car before someone ripped apart the engine and left an oily crankshaft or rusty exhaust piping on the seats like on 99% of the other cars in the yard. Took em home, cleaned and polished the leather, cleaned out the hair and dust from the rails, sanded and sprayed rust converter black primer on the parts of the rails that were facing the doors and got rusty over time... And well you know the rest :lol:

The 05-09 legacy seats won't bolt in properly in our 2nd gens anyway. My buddy has a 4th gen and I can measure it against my 2nd gen if we want proof but at one point and I was going to swap in 4th gen seats into my car and the rear mounting points are mostly wrong, I think you can get one of the 3 bolts in but that does not make for a safe install. That age Impreza seats will bolt in no problem though.

Yeah I had to guess on the year. It was the OBS with the squarish headlights like my 06 Baja has. I forgot the Legacy got a few facelifts that the Baja didn't. But yeah, thanks, it was a lucky find. The guy at the junkyard said they were gonna sell the OBS but then realized it needed timing belt/water pump etc and they decided to just put it in the u-pull-it yard. $38 per seat, no matter if leather, cloth, heated, auto, anything. I lucked out getting to the car before someone ripped apart the engine and left an oily crankshaft or rusty exhaust piping on the seats like on 99% of the other cars in the yard. Took em home, cleaned and polished the leather, cleaned out the hair and dust from the rails, sanded and sprayed rust converter black primer on the parts of the rails that were facing the doors and got rusty over time... And well you know the rest :lol:

FWIW - 06 Baja is built on the 2nd Gen (2000-2004) Outback (Legacy) platform which would explain why these look like 2000-2004 era Legacy seats. :)

Baja production ran from July 2002 – April 2006

Edited by SBT

FWIW - 06 Baja is built on the 2nd Gen (2000-2004) Outback (Legacy) platform which would explain why these look like 2000-2004 era Legacy seats. :)

Baja production ran from July 2002 – April 2006

Isn't that 3rd gen, (1999 - 2004)?

Next step in the interior upgrade done: newer radio and wood dash bezels.

picture.php?albumid=2721&pictureid=12379

Looks good, right? WRONG!

picture.php?albumid=2721&pictureid=12380

The a-hole who installed the Alpine unit ripped out the stock wiring and replaced it with the Alpine plug. Like Alpine is the only company who makes radios for Subaru? Seriously dude, why not spend the extra $15 on the adapter rather than just rip out the entire plug??? I'm so mad. :mad:

So the radio is installed but it's just not hooked up. One more thing to add to the "small bs" list next time I go to the junkyard... smdh

Are those gray or black? I'm wondering if they match the 2nd gen gray leather.

They're black (and all wired and correctly positioned now ftr), but gray & black match if you ask me. My backseat is still gray cloth, but I'm on the lookout for the black leather rear seat from a 99 Limited wagon. I'm not paying $400 on ebay though :lol: hoping to find someone nearby parting one out, might have to just buy a 99 Limited and swap my cloth interior into it and sell it again haha.

I already have the leather door panels that I need to install next, they came with the wood-grain window actuators already installed. I also have some JDM interior & exterior parts coming in the next few weeks.

Isn't that 3rd gen, (1999 - 2004)?

2nd Gen Legacy = 1st Gen Outback. All 1994-1999 Globally, 1995-1999 USDM.

3rd Gen Legacy = 2nd Gen Outback. All 1999-2004 Globally, 2000-2004 USDM.

4th Gen Legacy = 3rd Gen Outback. All 2004-2009 Globally, 2005-2009 USDM.

and so forth... ;)

They're black (and all wired and correctly positioned now ftr), but gray & black match if you ask me. My backseat is still gray cloth, but I'm on the lookout for the black leather rear seat from a 99 Limited wagon. I'm not paying $400 on ebay though :lol: hoping to find someone nearby parting one out, might have to just buy a 99 Limited and swap my cloth interior into it and sell it again haha.

I already have the leather door panels that I need to install next, they came with the wood-grain window actuators already installed. I also have some JDM interior & exterior parts coming in the next few weeks.

I bought a wrecked 99 limited just for the interior. I hate to tell you but those seat are not black at all. They are very much gray.

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu48/eocullins/1998%20Outback/fullsizeoutput_2bf9.jpeg

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu48/eocullins/97%20Outback/IMG_0839.jpg

Haha whatever, I can barely tell. There's such a small difference between 22 year old dark gray leather and 16 year old light black leather. The stock leather interior in my Baja is gray and black, the stock leather interior in my friend's 07 GT is gray and black, the rest of the interior of the car I pulled those seats out of was a mix of gray and black... I'm really not worried about it. The folks at Subaru seem to think that gray and black go together and so do I.

The leather seats in the Baja are black. The leather seats in the same gen Legacy/OBs are a dark gray.

The stock interior of my friend's 07 GT:

picture.php?albumid=2721&pictureid=12381

greyscale and black

The stock interior of my 06 Baja:

picture.php?albumid=2721&pictureid=12383

picture.php?albumid=2721&pictureid=12384

greyscale and black

My 97 OBW with front seats from an 04ish OBS:

picture.php?albumid=2721&pictureid=12385

do the seats match the door panels? is one of the grays a half shade darker? who cares? seriously, guys.

picture.php?albumid=2721&pictureid=12386

oh no, the stock black leather on my shift boot doesn't match the stock dark gray pleather or whatever on my steering wheel!

even if the front seats are "black" and i get some "dark gray" rear seats, i will still say they match. it's really not a big deal, and i personally do not care at all which is darker.

Edited by Leggyobw97

I'm fairly certain that i replaced the single-DIN HU in my 98 BD with a double-DiN HU - 6-CD/Tape player (yes, lol, tape player) - from a 2004 WRX in 2003.

Has worked flawlessly all these years, but lacks some (okay, nearly all) of the modern accoutrements. ;)

Since both of my remaining 2nd gens are now driven by my sons, I was happy to drive both of them this weekend. Rescued the '98 GT from where it's been sitting at college for the past month by swapping out the passenger's side brake caliper from the one from our '97 GT (RIP). Drove it home so I can see where on the radiator the small amounts of steam I see are coming from.

Loaded new firmware to my new detector.

Bits of that project remaining: pull the headliner, insulate up there, run wires, make the adapter to mount it at the overhead mirror.

If this thing actually does *not* detect all Audis, Cadillacs, Volvos, Subarus, BMWs, telco microwave links, etc it will be very nice.

Next we can argue about whether the display on your new radio is green or blue. ;)

um it's definitely green but it's not the same shade of green as the exterior paint so obviously i'm really broken up about it... :lol:

today i'm going to find out exactly what engine my OBW has in it! went to install a new coil pack from Subaru that i bought based on my VIN and it didn't even come close to matching up to the bolt-holes on top of the intake manifold. called up the shop that did the engine restoration a few years ago and they said the guy who did the work would be back in today. i can see the EJ25 stamp but i can't find the VIN on the engine to locate the source vehicle. i'll post pictures if anyone is curious, but the only glaring one is that the coil pack i bought is too big for the manifold by like a cm or two on each side.

Finally repaired the front driver seat, it needed filler and new tapestry (not leather, the wear ripped the left side). Also a month ago changed the brake pads.

Now i need to change the front CV axles, one is going really bad (the classic "clac" sound) and here it will cost me the same to fix the cv joint, or import one axle, so i rather save some money to change the two cv axle at the same time.

Someone sold me one 08+ TGV delete and 1 02-07 TGV Delete, as 1 fits and 1 doesn't :|

7PxzkVM.jpg

walbro 255 pump with STI pickup

SJmFXpx.jpg

Undercoating everywhere. KYB AGX with Swift springs. Stainless lines have been installed along with hawk HPS pads and 2nd gen GT/Outback brakes in the front. 4 pots are on the list later, I have them, but not replacing my newish brakes lol.

0P2cPoG.jpg

AOS, EBCS, and Dryer for AC placement. Can see the STI Arm down there

TtwNUaR.jpg

Both master cylinders in place, had to swap out brake one for a non-abs one, as i tossed that junk system. Also got a nice single clutch line, no 2 piece nonsense.

sTmgqLo.jpg

AIR 08+ were physically different to accommodate the air injection system. That also meant some changes/differences in the mounting points between the two.

This evening after work I had a favorable alignment of not freezing, not snowing, not blowing, light and available time.

I pulled a whole lot of trim so I could get the headliner out. Even with the trim tools I feel like I broke as many tabs as I succeeded on. Anyone have a success repairing these?

Two reasons for this task... First to fix the noisy roof, and second to get some wires up in there to build in some features around the mirror.

I could tell by the sound that the roof skin is not fastened to the roof frame. Turns out it used to be, but the seam sealer dried up and turned to dust many years ago.

I used up nearly a whole tube of silicone caulk to join with damping the roof skin to the roof frame. Next is to install the sound/thermal insulation (Lowes HVAC "dynamat").

Then I'll make up a wiring harness to support my new features and run that.