LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 2nd Generation Subaru today? - V3

It is a clicking sound, but going only from memory, it seems to be a lower pitch than lifter. Last I checked after the oil change it's too quiet to be sure, but it sounds more like the middle of the motor than one of the heads. I really have to check it late at night when the ambient noise is lower. If a car goes by while I'm listening to one head it can make it seem like the tapping is quieter there than when I'm in the middle and no car goes by.

I should probably concentrate on dressup work for the spare motor, but I'm pretty much only outside for this work and it's hard to get motivated to be in the dark and freezing. That together with having a spare car makes it hard for me to pull it together and get it done.

If you can pull it up close/next to a high wall and check whichever side gives you the best reflection, then turn it around and do the other side.

You could quickly (relatively) do this behind a big box or walmart store where there's not a whole lot of traffic. If you have your stethoscope that would be the optimal time to use it.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Time to go to a Texas Inspection Referee station. I'd expect they have these.

Do you truly NOT have PS, or is Avis Lube really that blind? In that case also contact your Texas Consumer Affairs and file a complaint.

And what statute requires the PS - I'm sure they provided that for you.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I deleted Power Steering( lines, pump, power piston) , the Title Office told me since it is a grey area wait out the 15 days and go somewhere else. It is in chapter four of the Texas inspection rules.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/publications/rules/safety_manual/chapter4.pdf

They cited a generic "modification of the steering system" which while true my car still complies with the requirements. There are three different ways things are listed in the Inspection Rules.

1- If equipped from the manufacturer. (Such as LED headlights and taillights.)

2- Must be equipped. (Such as third brakelight after Sept 1 1983.)

3- If equipped. (Power steering lies here.)

According to the way the Texas Title Office reads the law my car does not require power steering, according to the way Avis Lube trains their staff my car does. I understand the local Avis Lube is just following corporate training.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Yesterday I installed a short shifter along with front and rear shifter bushings and it feels like the old girl just had vaginal rejuvenation surgery. Today I'm changing my oil.

On the topic of inspection (knock on wood) I would DEFinitely fail because one of my rear ABS sensors is broken. Luckily I've never been asked to get an inspection, even though my car is newer than 96, and I've been pulled over several times (no tickets for anything, cops just like to waste my time).

A friend told me to just unplug the light... Not like OBD mentions anything about the ABS... But I do eventually want to fix it. I don't really understand the desire to remove things like ABS or power steering... You'd probably knock more weight off your ride by going on a diet. I am going to remove the AC though, the belt has been off for a while but I'm going to remove all the lines and components... I live way up north and not even my house has AC.

Worked on a mounting plate to put the radar detector up by the mirror. Then I got interrupted with a problem on another car and blew the rest of the day.

I swapped my mirror with a auto-dimming, compass mirror with homelink from a 3rd gen Forester mounted to the windshield, so I am looking at creating a mounting plate for my radar detector to mount on the stock mirror mount.

• 2 weeks later...

The power steering delete had nothing to do with weight loss. I have a tendency to destroy power steering pumps on all my vehicles somehow every couple of years. So i deleted it when it started leaking. I might do an EPAS system in the future but power steering isn't needed. Me going on a diet would be FAR more effective than taking a couple parts off my car.

On the ABS front mine has been deleted since i got the car. I just pulled the bulb from the dash and the relays inside the unit.

AC belt is off because it stopped working. That will be removed as well. I have a tendency to remove non-essential items when they break. Less stuff to deal with in the future, more space in the engine bay and less money spent.

Updated the firmware in my wideband last night.

On the way to work I found that it only read 7.2.

After work I pulled the sensor out to free air and ran the calibration.

Now it's all set.

Over the next few days I'll see if it gives the bootup error 40% of the time like before, or if it is fixed.

The power steering delete had nothing to do with weight loss. I have a tendency to destroy power steering pumps on all my vehicles somehow every couple of years. So i deleted it when it started leaking. I might do an EPAS system in the future but power steering isn't needed. Me going on a diet would be FAR more effective than taking a couple parts off my car.

On the ABS front mine has been deleted since i got the car. I just pulled the bulb from the dash and the relays inside the unit.

AC belt is off because it stopped working. That will be removed as well. I have a tendency to remove non-essential items when they break. Less stuff to deal with in the future, more space in the engine bay and less money spent.

I feel that, less repair cost over time. But don't your arms get sore driving around with no power steering? Or is this car not your daily driver? And I suppose you shouldn't ever have to use the ABS, but it's nice knowing it's there.

Deleting the AC has a more personal reason for me. I had to replace my engine when the AC compressor seized and exploded. I've always kept the belt off because it frees up HP, but a shop had just done some work to my car and put a belt on there not knowing I preferred to leave it off. Now I live in an even colder area and there's no point in owning a car with AC. I'm not taking this car to the South any time in the forseeable future.

Anyway on the topic of what I did to my car today all I did was get mad at it for getting such terrible gas mileage and then order new spark plugs for it. Might need a new coil too.

• 2 weeks later...

Drove mine 4500 miles for Christmas. It still runs, so that weird oil pressure thing can't be very serious.

I did at one point have a glitch where pushing the go pedal a long way would cut out the engine. That was only about 250 miles from the end of the trip so "Hey Doc, it hurts when I go like this." "Then don't go like that."

Later the problem was gone. The difference was that I touched a few engine harness connectors at a fuel stop, and the engine bay was packed full of blown snow when the problem was there.

The car gets a few days off after all that anyway, so I can triple check if I can see anything.

Replaced the alternator when it started shading out on me on the drive back from picking up some used parts (rear shock brace, ladder brace, and new Whiteline rear endlinks, all for $80!). 46 minutes including the trip to the store for the warranty exchange, not a bad swap.

• 1 month later...

Went to the junkyard looking for the wood bezels for my OBW but could only find the ones for my Baja. Also picked up a set of heated leather front seats from a 05ish OBS, and I'm going to swap them into the OBW. Hoping the wiring harnesses mate up nicely. Now I need to find a matching set for the rear. And the wood bezels.

edit: Oh yeah, I got the stock radio from the 05ish OBS because it has CD, tape, AM/FM and weatherband. The guy who I bought my OBW from installed an Alpine head unit and I hate it. It has a connection for an iPod but I don't use Apple, it doesn't have a tape deck and half of my music is on cassettes, and the radio only auto-scans, I can't dial in a station to see if it comes in or not. I was going to get this Pioneer head unit because it gets shortwave, but I think I may just do an auxiliary shortwave receiver if I decide I really want it in the car.

Edited by Leggyobw97