LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 2nd Generation Subaru today? - V3

Installed a new Pioneer double DIN head unit in the '97 GT today. It now has a 21st century sound system (and it's about to go to my 17 year old son who will appreciate that :-) ). I also found where someone had disconnected the subwoofer connections in the dash for some reason that that now works too.

Were the seats bolt in or did you have to be creative?

My back has always been unhappy after a couple hours in our 1998 GT seats, whereas our 2006 GT seats are good for a road trip...

I just wanted to drop this here. They say to share it with anyone who you know works on cars. Good till September 18th.

Thank you for being a RockAuto customer! To show our appreciation, we have a special discount for you.

Your discount code is:

How to Use Your Discount Code

Enter the code above in the "How did you hear about us" box without any other numbers or characters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
I replaced the alternator on the side of the road after the light popped on and I noticed I was only putting out 7 volts. Thankfully I made it to the parts store and they had a reman unit in stock. Took 16 minutes and I had my core charge back in my account. Not exactly what I wanted to do on my lunch break, but I still made it back to the office in time. All is good and now I'm onto the water pump on the girlfriends Saab (I'd much rather burn the car down).

Picked up this pile today for $300, 97’ 5 speed that needs some TLC, hopefully it will be an autocross car for 2019033f8f2319a36e9ecc1d20ab86425032.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may have some parts for you in the Poconos if you're interested....

• 2 weeks later...
I guess it's time to get a starter. Tried to start the car a few minutes after parking it hot. Electical loaded down, but no crank. Checked connections. Wouldn't crank until I gave the starter a couple solid knocks with the ice scraper, then started right up. The one from the parts car is completely done, and this one has given me about 10 years of service so new one it is.

My Legacy does that too. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it either, sometimes it will start right up first try. Other times I will sit for an hour trying everything possible, then it just magically starts after a thousand tries. I have replaced the starter recently, so I guess its the solenoid or something else.

Likely not the starter itself. Replace the contacts and the plunger on the starter, you'll be surprised at how quickly your starter comes back on line.

Parts availablility here

Video how-to

Check to ensure you have the right parts as there are different kits for the different starters.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

For mine I have a really bad starter from my parts car that I will turn in for the COR. Mine I will keep and be ready to rebuild it. I just am not interested in running with a starter I don't trust 100%. When you are miles out in the bush and it won't start... Well, I like to plan my camping trips ahead of time. ;)

But I agree it's the solenoid, contacts and plunger. No torque problem once it kicks out.

Edited by doublechaz

I cut up the shifter from my parts car and welded it back together with different dimensions. +7/8" below the linkage, -2 3/8 above. Short shifter. I had to take a little out of the metal plate that holds the rubber gasket in place to allow the linkage to hit 1st gear. Time for a drive...