LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 2nd Generation Subaru today? - V3

Finally got around to replacing some stuff that should’ve been replaced a year ago.

Inner & outer tie rod ends, ball joints, lca brackets/bushings, axles, wheel bearings and rear brakes.

The car drives unbelievably better now but still pulls a little to the right. Also check out how hilariously bad the alignment was before yesterday.

jUUYI0B.jpg

Edited by Sublimejoe

^If that much between the trans and the block, it's likely the oil separator cover (vapor plate), rear main, or a combination of both. These covers were a plastic/resin in stock form and need to be replaced with the upgraded metal one.

P/N info is found here

Thanks a million. For the life of me I couldn't find where that updated part number was posted. I knew about the new metal plate, couldn't find the part number.

-1 camber is OK for "spirited" driving, -1.8 is OK for the track...

IMHO you should put the car on a frame rack. Camber is not adjustable & the large variation L to R is the concern. Is the car lower on the right? Has the car been in an accident? :(

The car has some pretty low end coils on it that are probably blown. I don’t believe the car has been in an accident, but it does have 330k miles so it’s safe to say any components I haven’t replaced are due for it. I know for a fact the bushings on the trailing arms are wasted away, and the tires are basically all destroyed from driving with terrible alignment for ten thousand miles.

The car has some pretty low end coils on it that are probably blown. I don’t believe the car has been in an accident, but it does have 330k miles so it’s safe to say any components I haven’t replaced are due for it. I know for a fact the bushings on the trailing arms are wasted away, and the tires are basically all destroyed from driving with terrible alignment for ten thousand miles.

I originally paid $300 for the car and had coils/wheels in garage. I’ve put $550 into it since I’ve had it which has been about 9 months and 15k+ miles

63MKA

My cars been pretty neglected recently but today it was sunny and nice so it got a wash, wax and general check up. Also got one of the front CV axles replaced yesterday since it was binding but it turns out that I think the Diff is also binding up So that's great. I did also get a hold of a 5MT with all the necessary parts to do the conversion so that build will be coming up at some point

Continued to chase around my idle issues on the '97 GT to no avail. My son returned home from college for Easter so I was happy to see the '98 GT is treating him well. Saw an ad for a red '99 GT wagon that I would love to have.

Since the wagon is down with a bad alternator, I drove the '97 GT on the 110 mile weekly round trip to the office today. Since I replaced the ECU it has been running great! I actually really love the car and enjoyed having the sunroof opened up in 80 degree weather on the ride home. Thinking of maybe fixing this one up and giving my son the wagon to drive instead. Love them both though... just need more 2nd gens in the family!

Since the wagon is down with a bad alternator, I drove the '97 GT on the 110 mile weekly round trip to the office today. Since I replaced the ECU it has been running great! I actually really love the car and enjoyed having the sunroof opened up in 80 degree weather on the ride home. Thinking of maybe fixing this one up and giving my son the wagon to drive instead. Love them both though... just need more 2nd gens in the family!

I can relate... just need more garage & driveway space. :lol:

Spent nearly an hour getting my timing sproket off the crank nose. Long story why it was so hard to do. The trick was mostly threading the holes in it 5/16 inch x 18 for a puller.

But, that is the hard part of getting the oil pump and water pump project done. The rest is just typical cleaning and R&R.

Spent nearly an hour getting my timing sproket off the crank nose. Long story why it was so hard to do. The trick was mostly threading the holes in it 5/16 inch x 18 for a puller.

But, that is the hard part of getting the oil pump and water pump project done. The rest is just typical cleaning and R&R.

I had to use 2 big pry bars on mine...

damn woodruff key...

Went to the local Subaru dealer to complain about them calling me at 2:45 AM for a sales call. I haven't done business with them for something like 13 years, but they urgently needed to tell me they 'wanted to buy my car' (although they didn't seem to know which of my cars they were interested in. Then the sales person who made the call literally turned her back on me and walked away mid discussion. When I talked to the rest of them about it they refused to take any responsibility for calling in the middle of the night, and not one of the gang (literally every person present at the facility besides the one hiding in her office) mobbing me at the desk could bring themselves to say, "hey, I'm sorry that happened to you." Or even "we'll talk to our third party call center." Just a load of we didn't do that, we outsource our calls, that shouldn't have happened, all of us talking over you and changing the subject isn't high pressure, it's helpful... Blah blah.

Their mob technique of rapid fire questions and statements from each of the different people felt just like being interrogated by a mob of DIs at boot camp.

My first hint of trouble was when the door guy was shouting a stream of questions at me across the parking lot as soon as I cracked my door to get out. (Hint, greeting aside, if you have to raise your voice significantly, you're doing it wrong. Wait for the person who is walking toward you to get closer before you avalanche him with questions.)

I miss the old team at that dealership before the buyout. They tried hard to sell without being rude, painfully aggressive, or dismissive.

Went to the local Subaru dealer to complain about them calling me at 2:45 AM for a sales call. I haven't done business with them for something like 13 years, but they urgently needed to tell me they 'wanted to buy my car' (although they didn't seem to know which of my cars they were interested in. Then the sales person who made the call literally turned her back on me and walked away mid discussion. When I talked to the rest of them about it they refused to take any responsibility for calling in the middle of the night, and not one of the gang (literally every person present at the facility besides the one hiding in her office) mobbing me at the desk could bring themselves to say, "hey, I'm sorry that happened to you." Or even "we'll talk to our third party call center." Just a load of we didn't do that, we outsource our calls, that shouldn't have happened, all of us talking over you and changing the subject isn't high pressure, it's helpful... Blah blah.

Their mob technique of rapid fire questions and statements from each of the different people felt just like being interrogated by a mob of DIs at boot camp.

My first hint of trouble was when the door guy was shouting a stream of questions at me across the parking lot as soon as I cracked my door to get out. (Hint, greeting aside, if you have to raise your voice significantly, you're doing it wrong. Wait for the person who is walking toward you to get closer before you avalanche him with questions.)

I miss the old team at that dealership before the buyout. They tried hard to sell without being rude, painfully aggressive, or dismissive.

That's illegal af, the TCPA states you can only make sales calls between 8am and 9pm. The SEC has a exception stating you can make calls at anytime if you have a pre-established relationship, but that applies to finance calls, not car sales. I'd threaten them with that to get free stuff :D Maybe some floor mats or a Subaru keychain?

I know it's not legal. Really I don't want any stuff from them. I was looking for either the sales person or their manager to say they were sorry and they would do something to keep that from happening to other people. But they never offered to get a manager involved.

But instead they stonewalled as a group and tried to make me feel bad for complaining. One guy actually said to me that the reason he tried to block me from contacting the sales person was that since I didn't have an appointment and the sales person is female that he felt I was a physical danger to her. This in spite of me never raising my voice or swearing at anyone.

If he thinks a person walking onto a sales floor without an appointment is an indication of terrorist level threat, then he's in the wrong profession.

But, hey, they showed great team loyalty with each other.

There are some shady people at Findlay in their sales team. They STILL call me about a car I bought 4 years ago that was traded in well over a year ago. Still the same sales pitch: "we have a buyer who is looking for a vehicle just like the one you have". My response is "You have customers looking for a 13 year old Hyundai Tucson with over 150,000 miles on it?"