LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 2nd Generation Subaru today? - V3

I don't mean any offense, but I was just checking as sometimes we run into people who only loosen that bolt. They don't know about the hourglass shape of the ball joint and how the bolt will hold it in even when it's completely loose.

I don't mean any offense, but I was just checking as sometimes we run into people who only loosen that bolt. They don't know about the hourglass shape of the ball joint and how the bolt will hold it in even when it's completely loose.

Yeah im aware of the shape of the ball joints. I was getting stuck well before the hourglass began to show.

That being said, today i got that ball joint out and now i e diagnosed a wheel bearing... wtf i just want this nightmare to end... Ill beat the ef out my friend for not taking care of this p.o.s. befkre he gave it to me...

On the ball joint, I figured it out. It's hard to estimate experience through the forum.

Most people think good car care is timely doing something when it won't start, or when it won't stop. The rest is turn up the tunes and grip the wheel harder.

Today is the day i finished all the repairs i needed to make this car road safe i.e. wont die while driving it.

Today it was a wheel bearing, opted to replace the whole hub and knuckle.

I imagine some more stuff will become needed soon. But i can finally get back after weeks of being stuck in Utah.

Replaced my power steering fluid today. The old fluid, at least 19 year old and good chance it was original, wasn't that bad looking. Dark red, no sediment in it.

I used the easy, not as thorough method that mixed the new fluid with the old. I thought it best not to undo the hard return lines. And it if it's good enough for the detail-oriented MrSubaru on youtube, good enough for me. I used a syringe to remove old fluid from the reservoir, put in new ATF, drove the car a bit, turning the steering lock to lock several times, then repeated two more times. Done.

Edited by zzzz

Nice! I don't expect anything got worse after all the stuff you did to get ready.

Uh one of the back calipers started to stick. So i just got the parts to redo both backs.

And someine is offering free suspension off a 05 wrx...

Im wondering if its worth changing the fronts out. I dont think the backs are direct swap or desirsble.

Pulled the motor to diagnose a collapsed lifter and a bad rear main seal. Seal looks dry so I need to figure out where it's coming from.

Unfortunately, the clutch disk slipped out of my hand and hit the ground. There is a small chip off of the edge of the clutch. I'm not sure if I need to replace or if it will be ok. Thoughts?

2019-05-27.thumb.jpg.3cb8860e295510fb1b4432213c24f673.jpg

That would be bad for balance. I don't know if it is bad enough to wreck the pilot bearing and the input to the trans. I know I wouldn't risk it on my car.

If you haven't replaced the factory plastic oil separator plate with the updated metal one, that would be my first guess on the source of the oil if it is coming from inside the bell housing. Less likely would be the wrist pin access cover. If it is just on the bottom of the rear of the engine, it could be coming from almost anywhere. I once did a rear main that turned out to be the bottom connection on the high pressure steering line. I shoulda looked things over before Nike.

So ive been on my way back from Florida to NM/UT, taking a different route because i happen to have friends this way.

Today im at my buddies in Topeka and we are going to he diagnosing a few things that keep coming up, that i thought i had fixed... Uhg.

After 10 years i changed the battery. If it wasn´t because now i can´t park it under roof and the mornings are cold, the baterry could still soldier on.

And yesterday i "discovered" a hissing sound near under the glovebox when i turn on the ac or put air only to the windshield, maybe there´s the leak that slowly depletes the ac (i have to charge every 9 months or so) The sound is "loud" but i never before put attention to it.

Discovered that my last offroad trip did damage besides the oil pan.

The rear cat has a dent in it and I pulled it to get a look inside. Yep, matrix broken up and flopped back blocking the exit. Other than the physical damage, after 50k it looks basically new. :(

• 4 weeks later...

Not today, rather the past few days

Replaced all 4 shock assemblies, broke a strut mount bolt... lovely..

also changed out the rear knuckle assmeblies and axles...

and i cleaned the car for the first time in 2 owners :\... wtf did the previous ppl do to this car :(

well... now i need to replace the strut mount/bolt and ill be good, ish....

Sounds like you are making good progress.

Late today I took off the drivers side front sway bar link to prove that the terrible sound up front is from damage to that while off roading and not from something worse.

Also, bandaided the header wrap.

Sounds like you are making good progress.

Late today I took off the drivers side front sway bar link to prove that the terrible sound up front is from damage to that while off roading and not from something worse.

Also, bandaided the header wrap.

Definitely am making some progress, i mean at this point i feel like ive replaced half of the suspension components.

Maybe i should have took pictures and done a build log for the car :\

eh too late now

Got the strut mount replaced... took the car for a test drive, handles way way way better.

Did the Outback Suspension swap to my L. So i sit a lot higher off the ground.

Ride is much smoother and quieter all around.

I suppose tomorrow Ill spend the better part of the day doing the alignment myself and that should clear up any left over vibrations...

but gd was it nice to actually get up to 80 and not feel like i was gonna shake the car apart.

Since the end of May when i got the car, Ive done the rack and pinion, inner and outer tie rods, ball joints, all 4 bearings by way of changing the whole knuckle assemblies, all 4 shocks, all 4 calipers, pads and rotors. As well as just changing the seats out to a set of 96 OB seats..., as well as changing the shifter and radio trim to the faux wood grain. Shampood the carpets and seats(plan on doing it again tomorrow). Also the car has seen a solid 7000 miles with me through UT, NM, CO, TX, LA, AL, MS, GA, FL, TN, KY, MO, KS, OK, ID, and OR

It's too bad all that fell to you, but if you don't live in the rust belt those things and fluid swaps will keep a car going forever or until some kid hits you at 60 mph while you are stopped at a light because they were texting and didn't see you.