LegacyGT.com

2020 WRX Prototype (new pics)

Perscitus

I can't fathom the WRX not having an MT option. It seems like <20% were MT from 2002-2008. Then they were MT only. I do wonder if the CVT has increased sales with the older generation and females {no offense ladies}, as I have seen a LOT more of them in 2015+ then before. Could also be the refined interior?

I thought the only year they didn't offer an Automatic was in 2009. That was the year they bumped the hp up on the WRX and the automatic they had at the time couldn't handle it, so it was MT only that year for the WRX, but they offered the Impreza GT with the same power as the 2008 WRX (230 hp?). Then I thought they came back with an Automatic in 2010.

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought the only year they didn't offer an Automatic was in 2009. That was the year they bumped the hp up on the WRX and the automatic they had at the time couldn't handle it, so it was MT only that year for the WRX, but they offered the Impreza GT with the same power as the 2008 WRX (230 hp?). Then I thought they came back with an Automatic in 2010.

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Technically the last automatic WRX before the 2015 HTCVT was the 2008 WRX. Subaru made a 2009-2010 Impreza GT automatic which was a pseudo WRX with a reduce power engine.

• 9 months later...

You'll be one of DOZENS of buyers. I can't believe Subaru is passing on this enormous market of performance sport wagons while they're struggling to keep up with demand on boring people movers on dealer lots.

THOSE FOOLS!

You'll be one of DOZENS of buyers. I can't believe Subaru is passing on this enormous market of performance sport wagons while they're struggling to keep up with demand on boring people movers on dealer lots.

THOSE FOOLS!

While these numbers may not be huge, it'll keep a different demographic in the Subaru fold, which might be important.

My next car is going to be a wagon, and it's looking like a Volvo V60, Merc E-class, or maybe an Audi Allroad. And oddly, in the same breath, I'm considering a certain 13yo low-mileage LGT wagon.

Subaru used to occupy this space, but not any longer. A performance wagon would be great, but at least something that can get out of its own way.

I keep saying this anywhere I can: bring a 300-hp, 6MT wagon with a nice interior to the US market, and I will put down a deposit tomorrow.

If it's going to be an auto/CVT, it needs closer to 350hp.

Yep thats why I bought mine, it pretty much ticked all the boxes but the JDM cars are way higher spec than what get bought in as new cars into our country. The JDM version would be deemed TOO EXPENSIVE.

Alloy front wishbones, Bilstein suspension, 18inch alloys, large colour touch screen, electric folding mirrors, 6 cylinder engine with 250Hp that you would be happy to have in your Porsche, 6 speed manual and I got lucky as someone had fitted aftermarket slotted brake rotors and all this way back in 2005 !!!!

So you really have to ask yourself, have Subarus really moved forward ? Looks to me that they really want to make a decent performance vehicle as part of their lineup.

There has to be a market for a factory 400Hp Subaru WRX STi. What I want is a FACTORY 400Hp car, not one that someone else has to play with to try and get it there. We simply don't have anyone in this country I would trust to give it to, in any case if you want long term reliability it HAS to be designed for 400Hp from the ground up so the gearbox and drivetrain can handle it as well.

THOSE FOOLS!

Manufacturers don't make cars for dozens of buyers.

A enthusiast forum isn't indicative of the general pop.

Very few people want manuals.

Very few people want wagons.

That equals not many sold.

Depends on the country, we must have bought up all of the JDM second hand Wagons sold.

The Wagon is a very popular car in this country. Its also so good to drive you cannot tell its a Wagon it feels like a Sedan anyway. With a 6MT you feel like your in the WRX STi.

The second most popular Subaru here is the hatchback, the Sedan is almost a complete failure in our market as there are too many other options.

Try finding a good looking 4WD wagon with a bit of power and your limited to a Subaru or an Audi.

The WRX STi is a niche market car anyway and its probably only still only around because Mitsubishi pulled the plug on the EVO and look where Mitsubishi is now....Gone.

There is most certainly a market for a 400Hp factory 4WD WRX STi. I would rather pay $100K for one of these than a $300K for Porsche GT3. The Subaru is far more suitable for our road conditions.

Well I was replying to a poster in the US.

From all the comments all over the net, Subaru enthusiasts are screaming out for the return of the hatchback.

While Subaru left the gate open, the likes of Ford and VW as well as Honda came charging through.

Its time Subaru got serious with the STi. I really want one but the current version is not worth upgrading too over my current wagon.

Subaru enthusiasts scream about a lot of shit, but when it comes time to open their checkbooks, very few put their money where their mouths are.

If the cars sold, they'd build them. But they don't sell, so they build Outbacks, Foresters, Crosstreks and now Ascents.

Subaru enthusiasts scream about a lot of shit, but when it comes time to open their checkbooks, very few put their money where their mouths are.

If the cars sold, they'd build them. But they don't sell, so they build Outbacks, Foresters, Crosstreks and now Ascents.

Do you guys not even get the Levorg ?

https://www.subaru.co.nz/showroom/levorg

Nice but no Manual transmission.

Better look after mine, the current replacement options suck.

Totally holding out for something radical from Subaru in 2020.

Nope, not a single Levorg has ever touched North American soil. To my knowledge at least.

Bummer but then Wagons are really popular over here.

Problem is that its 4 times what I paid for my 3.0R so no I wouldn't buy one.

The STi is a different story, get it right and it will be huge.

The car to eclipse is the Ford Focus RS. These sell new for $73,000 over here so if Subaru cannot make a 350Hp+ STi for less than $80K then they should get new design staff.

And no there is no way I'm getting a Focus, the girlfriend has the straight "Focus" and its pure junk.

This is very true, but I have also seen many long time Subaru owners that got into them with their WRX/LGT wagon, then moved on to more typical Subaru as they get a family, often times they get their spouses into them also.

The one downside they face is there is a LOT of AWD cars and Crossovers in the US market today. 10 years ago there was a lot less and many people sacrificed some features/comfort/etc to get the AWD. With today's options I feel like they lost that advantage.

I would love a 6MT WRX wagon.. Heck, I would likely even buy a CVT Levorg as I have a 5eat OBXT now. I just hope for a true wagon and not a hatch. What are the other options? Golf Alltrak.

The Buick, Audi Allroad, and Volvos are all in another price bracket.

This is very true, but I have also seen many long time Subaru owners that got into them with their WRX/LGT wagon, then moved on to more typical Subaru as they get a family, often times they get their spouses into them also.

The one downside they face is there is a LOT of AWD cars and Crossovers in the US market today. 10 years ago there was a lot less and many people sacrificed some features/comfort/etc to get the AWD. With today's options I feel like they lost that advantage.

I would love a 6MT WRX wagon.. Heck, I would likely even buy a CVT Levorg as I have a 5eat OBXT now. I just hope for a true wagon and not a hatch. What are the other options? Golf Alltrak.

The Buick, Audi Allroad, and Volvos are all in another price bracket.

There are a lot of options, but not many that actually compete in the rear world with Subaru's AWD. And the gains Subaru has made in efficiency and safety still set it apart from the competition. I would say Toyota is a semi-distant 2nd in those respects.

Secondhand Allroad prices are super low. 2015 w/ less than 70k miles in my area for under $20k.

Yes we get relatively "Cheap" Audis out here for a reason. When you take it into their dealers to have it serviced, the bill is eye watering.

They are still twice the price for a comparable car.

Subaru in general seems to be getting more boring, just like every other car manufacturer. Less MT's, all look the same, etc.

Blame legislation for safety and requirements of low aerodynamic drag and you end up with very similar designs with just superficial differences.

453747.png

Blame legislation for safety and requirements of low aerodynamic drag and you end up with very similar designs with just superficial differences.

Yes I'm looking at all the new cars options and its really concerning that they are all moving away from what I want to buy.

There appears to be too much emphasis on safety and emissions figures all leading to a really boring drive.

I heard on the radio yesterday the UK want to completely phase out fossil fuel cars by 2040 and some want it done by 2030.

My advice is that you had better start looking after your current Subaru because things could be about to get very boring.

Still keenly awaiting the release of the new WRX STi but if its shit I still have time to buy one of the last of the current crop before they are all gone.

Archived