LegacyGT.com

SoA threatens legal action against ravensblade-impreza

kmin

Jon,

is LGT a trademark?

Various trademarks on "LGT" are held by LGT Gruppe Stiftung Corporation in Liechtenstein. However, use on a Subaru Legacy bulletin board probably wouldn't be considered "confusing." But the cyber-squatting issue remains, along with the fact that www.LGT.com is already in use.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another possibility would be SubieLegs.com which is more general than the 2.5GT.com I suggested earlier and would encompass Legacy models with the 2.0 and 3.0 engines from around the world as well as the 2.5 we get in the US. The "Legs" part might also somehow be incorporated into a new site logo literally as a pair of legs.

In the meantime, I think Chad ought to insert the disclaimer that Subaru likes to see in a prominent place on at least the home page.

NOT AUTHORIZED OR APPROVED BY OR AFFILIATED WITH SUBARU OF AMERICA OR FUJI HEAVY INDUSTRIES LTD.

1: "Legacy" is not only a term used in refference to Subarus. Impreza however is instantly recognised, wholly indicative of a Subaru Brand. Legal onus would dictate the only way they can come down on us for using it is because we use it in conjuction with a site about Subarus.

2:"GT" Again, not a wholly recognised or owned moniker however, again used in conjuction with a site about Subaru.

3: We all know that Subaru and SOA people read this site. I'd have to think if they had a problem with something Tide was doing that we've gotten a Cease and Desist already.

If the site name were SubaruLegacyGT.com we might have issues.

If we used subaru logos, fonts, etc, in our site, we'd be in trouble.

If we sold stuff with their logo on it we'd be in trouble.

Selling "Legacy" or "Legacy GT" while branded names are not wholly owned by Subaru.

It would be like Shell Gas Int banning the use of any sort of pectin (or sea shell that resembles their logo) from the internet. It's just not going to happen.

I think Tide does a good job making sure that we aren't riding Subys coat tails and using their brands in a way that suggests that we are "official" to Subaru SOA or FHI.

Then again, I don't know anything about law in regards to copywrit materials, but I would find it highly unlikely that Subaru could lay claim to the word "Legacy", then again, never underestimate lawyers. ;)

I spoke to a Subaru rep in regards to this matter today. Basically they don't want any unauthorized use of there trademark symbols or sale of any merchandise with there trademarks on it. They are not going to shut down this site. Their only gripe with this site is with all the people who complain amongst themselves about problems with the car. They feel that some people need to voice there complaints directly with them so they can better rectify the problem.
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

And when we do voice them to SOA we get: "there is no studdering problem that we're aware of", "what cooling fan issue?".

Only repeating what they stated. If its actually true or not, I don't know.

"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

Expect a letter like that come this way, ESPECIALLY after telling people to write to them. This will alert them that this site exists.

This already happened with a STi site. IWSti.com... formerly http://www.imprezawrxsti.com

They also got a letter like the one listed up there.

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

I would not have bought my car if it were not for this site.
So, if this site had initially been established using a non-infringing domain name, you wouldn't have bought your car? What if this site changes its domain name? Would you stop visiting to show Subaru how pissed off you were about it?

I hope everyone remembers when the WRX first arrived in the US. Subaru set up a special site, http://www.ImprezaWRX.com. Subaru still uses that domain today. It takes you directly to the WRX info in their normal site. What if they wanted to set up a similar special site for the Legacy STI called http://www.LegacySTI.com? They can't because the Chad, the owner of this site, is cyber-squatting on it. Same with http://www.LegacyGT.com.

']So' date=' if this site had initially been established using a non-infringing domain name, you wouldn't have bought your car? What if this site changes its domain name? Would you stop visiting to show Subaru how pissed off you were about it?[/quote']

I am just saying that this site (along with others) helps Subaru, does not hurt them!

I don't really care for all the legal stuff, I just think it is ridiculous.

well, it might be ridiculous, but it doesn't stop them.

There are always two sides to the coin.

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

Subaru is definitely aware of this site. I completed a 30 minute survey from SOA today online and when asked what websites helped you decide on your purchase LegacyGt.com was one of the choices. I used this site extensively to research this car (as a lot of us have) and it definitely pushed me towards buying the car. People like to know about common problems in a new car and they will findout one way or another, personally I think the variety of Info in this site helps Subaru instead of hurting them.

SOA's actually using a light touch, because they don't want to kill infringing websites. If they did want to put them out of business they could, for example, skip the letter from the attorney and, instead, simply file suit in the Washington, DC US district court. The webadministrator of record would soon get a certified letter notifying him he's being sued. SOA's attorney would likely offer to settle out of court, provided the webadministrator turned over the domain name, paid SOA's attorney fees, and an additional payment for damages. That, of course, would kill most websites and is why SOA's footing the bill for its own attorneys, so far.

I would not have bought my car if it were not for this site.

+1

Still, I am in the trademark, branding and Licensing business, and FHI was within thier right.

I think LegacyGT.com is far enough from any "real" trademark infringment.

Subi knows that if they want to shut this site down, all they have to do is file a trademark infringment case - since Tide dosen't have the money to fight it.

Still, if SOA is reading this site, then they know that it has sold a lot of cars for them.

Knowing that there is a high quality community that come with the car, really was a big motivator for me to buy this car.

My other car choices didn't have a high quality community, which made the car less attractive.

I would rather choose the known problems, over the unknown.

Sites like this, let me know before buying - what I was buying.

That made me want the Subi even more.

Archived