LegacyGT.com

SoA threatens legal action against ravensblade-impreza

kmin

Hi guys,

I don't post here very often (if at all), but I wanted to alert the community to an alarming turn of events. As some of you may know, SoA has threatened legal action against www.ravensblade-impreza.com and its owner, a fellow Subie enthusiast (even if he drives an Impreza).

I've read the demand letter that their attorneys sent (it's available at the website above) - they completely misconstrue and misinterpret what he is doing, and think he's making money off of them. But more importantly, they argue that using Subaru trademarks in the website name is illegal. This is debatable, but I think it's ultimately a lousy way to treat loyal fans who love their cars. To the mods of this site and other Subaru forums, it's also a warning shot across your bow.

Therefore I strongly urge you, if you want to continue seeing sites like this, to write or call SoA, and demand that they give their enthusiasts better treatment. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Edit: I just found a response letter from SoA over on NASIOC. In part, it reads:

The reason for this action was to remove the possibility that consumers who visit the site might be confused into believing that the site was somehow an approved or official SUBARU website and also to avoid the diluting affect on our marks of third party uses.

This action was not taken to interfere with the lawful rights of WRX and STi owners to exchange information and share experiences, which we fully respect and appreciate. However, in order to ensure that our trademarks, logos and designs remain protected, under law we are obligated to make certain to the extent possible that others are not using our marks in a manner that makes it appear that we have approved of their use, or are somehow in a business relationship with them. We must also ensure that our marks are not diluted by third party use since such uses, if unchallenged, could eventually narrow the strength of our marks. Since new websites dedicated to SUBARU brand vehicles crop up on the Internet from time to time, we cannot afford to be selective in our enforcement approach, allowing one site to use our marks but not another.

I think SoA has made its legal position clear, regarding sites such as legacygt.com, subaruoutback.org, etc.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Everone is so upset, and they don't realize that they actually went after the site because he was selling stuff with Subaru trademarked images/phrases/etc on them. Hey, guess what... even at no profit, if you sell something, you're a business. I believe that is what you'd call a not-for-profit type business.

The real trick here that they'll have to realize is that CafePress is really the owners of the images that were on the things for sale on his site, as I believe CafePress assumes ownership of any image you upload to sell items with that image on them.

The only thing that leaves to debate is the service manuals... and I guess there isn't much TO debate there.

IMO... take your spankings and run, hope that they don't come after you just "because" at this point. :(

It's like speeding and getting a ticket. you may not have been going that fast and other people were going just as fast or faster than you, but you were the one who got caught. It may be BS but you were still in the wrong. I'm interested in seeing what develops.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not to make light of the matter, but......................

IBSoAkickstehpeoplethatsupporttheminteha$$.

I understand where they're coming from with "protecting their trademarks" and such, but we as a community have helped increase the popularity and exposure of those ideas and technologies with our dollars. So they are protecting themselves/that stuff from us?:icon_neut Must be a "Big Business" thing.

:orly:YA RLY!!! Home of +2500 useless posts!!!!

Hate to say it...but once this site gets big enough, this forum will have the same problem with its domain name. http://www.imprezawrxsti.com was forced to change to http://www.iwsti.com It stinks! Its just a bunch of lawyers having to prove their worth for the retainer fees they charge.

Chris

chris@hirevmports.com

+1,,imprezawrxsti.com was also selling T shirts etc,,,

Rudy

There's a reason why companies trademark their logos. This happens all the time, not just in this case. If you sell something with someone else's logo without their permission, you will get sued. If they didn't care about other people profiting off their logos, they wouldn't have registered it with the US Patent & Trademark Office.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Meh, I'd ignore the letter. George Lucas sent me a letter about Cult of the Jedi and I sent one back telling him I'd give him a flannel enema if he kept bothering me.

Meh, I'd ignore the letter. George Lucas sent me a letter about Cult of the Jedi and I sent one back telling him I'd give him a flannel enema if he kept bothering me.

zing!!!! after reading that i bet he went in to his bed room shut the door and cried while clutching his yoda stuffed animal and sucking his thumb

This isn't Subaru being a bully. It's a business thing. Ipodlounge.com just recently changed their name to Ilounge.com to avoid the heat from Apple. They took it in stride and did it without harsh words. Whether or not a site abuses the illegal use of a trademark name is really not the topic. As a company you either have to use and protect your trademarks or lose them through proliferation and/or stagnation.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's unfortunate, but seems pretty common. I figure "why bother?" unless it's actually causing Subura of America harm. I sure hope they don't force this site to change names. I don't think I'd have bought my Subaru without the fanatacism on LegacyGT.com or NASIOC.

You guys are Subaru's greatest marketing force. Seriously. Their TV and print ads mostly suck. They should sue their ad company.

What's the big deal.

Take out the Subaru trademarks and STFU.

What a bunch of whiney babies.

+1

Subaru and FHI has every right to protect their brands and trademarks. The laws exist for a reason and we should respect them.

If you don't like them...run for the House of Representatives, the Senate or the President and get them changed.

A suggestion for a new domain name: 5GT.com

That is unlikely to be anyone's existing registration or trademark, so no cyber-squatting issues. And when people show up there, you bounce them to the home page at 2.5GT.com which isn't a Subaru trademark, meaning you can use it on hats, shirts, etc.

Archived