LegacyGT.com

2004 Headlight issue

triumphgt6er

Hoping someone has some ideas for an ongoing issue on a 2004 Legacy headlight. The right headlight continually goes out. If I wiggle the headlight bulb socket and wires I can get it to come back. Figured it was a bad socket or wires so I replaced the headlight socket with a new one. Some of the casing on the original wire was worn. I also found a corroded ground wire and cleaned that up. Figured those were my issues, but when I re-installed the socket - same behavior. After messing with it further I noticed the socket was a tad loose in the headlight itself when the plastic retainer nut that tightens the bulb into the headlight (those crappy 1/4 turn retainers that are a pita). I fashioned a small gasket to make that fitting tighter and that seemed to fix the problem and everything seemed stable. A few days later....headlight is out again.

Anyone have ideas on what might be wrong or what else to check?

When the socket in my 2005 LGT fell apart, I bought a pair of ceramic sockets from Candlepower in Rockville Maryland (internet sales). If you can strip the insulation off the wire ends and crimp on a spade connector (solder optional) it's a cheap fix. You can get brighter replacement bulbs from Candlepower. See what they offer by speaking with the tech guy.

Archived