LegacyGT.com

Bought a Spec. B JDM Spec. Need Help!!

Hello,

I bought a 2003 Legacy GT Spec. B from Japan.

It will get delivered in a few weeks and i still dont know what other subaru has the same engine. Is it a "normal" EJ20? I want to upgrade the car but still dont know almost anything about the car... I had the same car a few months in South Africa but... In Europe we didnt had that car so i Need help from some one who hase the car.... :confused:

Is it a "normal" EJ20?

Assuming the '03 Spec.B you bought is a fourth gen: (And also a manual trans)

You're gonna be looking at an EJ20Y in that car. The EJ20X/Y (X was the automatic trans variant, Y was manual). This is a pretty run of the mill EJ20 with a couple extra things tacked onto it.

First: This is a Dual AVCS (Active Valve Control System) engine. Which means all four of the engines camshafts are capable of variable timing on the fly. The DOHC motors have had single AVCS for a long time, and dual wasn't introduced onto the Imprezas until the 2008 model year. (Version 10 EJ207/EJ257). The heads on this motor are going to be stamped 'Z20', they flow pretty good for stock heads. The EJ20X/Y has a static compression ratio of 9.5:1, pretty high for an open deck turbo Subaru engine. Keep the compression in mind if you plan on doing any turbo upgrades or engine modifications.

Second: This motor will have a factory 12mm Oil pump which is capable of pretty high oil pressure (is known to spike way over 100 psi when cold starting the car). This oil pump was chosen specifically for this engine because it needed the higher pressure. This also means that the stock engine (At least on the manual trans) is capable of higher RPM than most other stock EJ20s.

Third: If the Spec.B you bought is a manual trans, it will come with the JDM first revision Spec.B 5-Speed. This trans uses the same gear ratios as the 2.0GT/2.5GT. However, its final drive is 4.44 vs 4.11 on the non Spec.B trans. The model of trans you should have is TY757VBABB. This trans won't have the dual cone first gear synchronizer found on the post revision Spec.B 5-Speed. There are also minor differences in the snout size on the pre/post revision 5-Speeds. Note: This also means you will have a 4.44 R160 VLSD rear differential.

Fourth: If the car you bought is manual, it will have a twin scroll TD-04HLA turbocharger. If Automatic, it will have a twin scroll VF-38 turbocharger. Both of these spool pretty low which is nice, but lack in high end power. Both of these turbo have the same up pipe flange and down pipe flange. However, this up pipe/down pipe flange combo is not found on any other Subaru. The only off the shelf downpipes you will be able to find (also called metal catalyzer) might be very pricey. (I live in the US, so I may not have the same availability as you). Header/up pipe combos are likely the same deal.

is it possible to put an after market exaust for a USDM/EDM on a JDM car?

Yes! Anything after the down pipe is the same setup as the USDM car. (not sure about the EDM spec). Just be aware, this car has equal length headers, and you won't be getting any noticeable rumble.

Hopefully you find some of this information helpful!

Edited by Skeen
Edited for clarity

Thank you very very much for the information. Yes its a bp chassis and a 5 speed manual. I thought it might be the ej20y but wasnt that shure. Do you know if it realy uses that nonsene oil with the viscosity 10w60? Edited by ZeGerman

Thank you very very much for the information. Yes its a bp chassis and a 5 speed manual. I thought it might be the ej20y but wasnt that shure. Do you know if it realy uses that nonsene oil with the viscosity 10w60?

10w60 seems like crazy to me and if someone told you that the engine "needs" that then there's a risk that the engine actually is pretty worn. Use 10W40 or preferably 5W40 together with an oil pressure gauge to keep an eye on the oil pressure to see that it's OK.

453747.png

• 2 years later...
There are also minor differences in the snout size on the pre/post revision 5-Speeds.

Bringing this back from the dead: what does this difference mean for TSK kit that would fit, and/or what is the proper OEM TOB for this transmission?

I have this swap, and TSK3 kit I had wouldn't fit. 30502AA120 OEM TOB was installed instead, but it had a squeal and hard 1st/2nd gear engagement from the start. I'm wondering if I need a TOB that's better fit to correct it.

Thanks!