LegacyGT.com

DAM low, Frustration HIGH, please advise...

THIS HAS BEEN RESOLVED, GO TO POST #7 FOR THE NEW PROBLEM

Last weekend I took the obxt 400 miles across the state with plenty of WOT pulls and several fill-ups and the trip went flawlessly.

I get back to Los Angeles and trying to pass a car going 45-50, I downshift to 3rd, tip-in and notice FLKC maxing out at -3.75 all of the sudden. It doesn't seem to get worse than that but I am not trying to break anything either. Now I have FLKC at various points under low and high loads. DAM stays at 1 but it seems knocksum has increased a good bit. Bad gas? Other thoughts?

*EDIT* I just added some chemtool b12 to the remaining 1/2 tank then cruised up to the cleanest chevron around and put 5 gallons of 91 but no obvious improvement in that 20 minute cruise. .PDF Logs attached.

Thanks in advance folks.

datalog124 - cruiseknock.pdf

datalog126 - WOTfklc.pdf

datalog130 -loadknock.pdf

Tune is Cobb Stg 1 OTS ACN91

No other mods

No elevation change (maybe 1200' max in 3 weeks),

No roughness or discernable misfires,

My turbo mechanic told me yesterday that unless it pulls DAM, more than 4* flkc, or starts showinf more fbkc it's not a concern. Could possibly be bad fuel... I don't like fearing for my motor so I'm still trying to discern the cause before flogging on it any more...

• 2 weeks later...

So I think the previous problem was related to low quality/contaminated fuel. Running the old tank down to the bottom with berryman b12 and refueling with good 91 sorted that out entirely in a few days. Had several days of great driving thereafter.

Problem

Now, I have another conundrum. Had a great drive last night with a couple WOT runs in 3rd. Gave it some throttle on the home stretch and watched flkc and DAM bounce all over the place so I toned back the lead foot.

Inspection

I found a big paper towel stuck in the airbox upon inspection. Cleaned the debris and replaced filter, visual inspection of vac lines & motor revealed nothing else out of ordinary.

Diagnostics

Drove around but DAM stayed at .312 but no fbkc at all, plenty of weird flkc events but nothing over 3.5.

Reset ecu via AP and drove around, took a minute but DAM went to .75, then 1 briefly. Logs look great (AFAIK) but now DAM won't go past .938.

Notes

We are getting some smoke from the CA wildfires. The old filter was cleanish but I just swapped in a new one today when trying to diagnose. Dirty MAF maybe?

PDF log from after ecu reset included.

I think my car is mad at me...

All Input/Suggestions Appreciated

datalog9 - DAMlowFLKCwtf.pdf

I had similar issue and it ended up being some of my vac hoses were just old and hard and not sealing well. Replaced them and clamped, solved my issue.

Also the wife once put 87 octane in my car. Took about 4 tanks to really get DAM back to normal. So if you had iffy gas, it may just need more time.

Kind of strange as everything was running perfectly (DAM @ 1, no fbkc in boost)before the paper towel in the airbox incident...

Does anyone have any suggestions how I can troubleshoot this DAM issue without just throwing money at it? No codes, nothing obvious upon inspection... vac lines seem a possible cause but no visible cracks or hard spots. Does anyone know where to find the recommended vac line kit for an 07 OBXT?

Not sure if there is a cheap kit. I know there are silicone kits but those are pricey.

I just took a piece of the hose to local auto parts shop and looked for same diameter pcv/vac hose and got some worm clamps. Hoses on the boost solenoid were hardened first then breather hoses on block. It took me awhile to get to the cause of the hardened hoses cause visually they looked fine but they had zero gripping power on the connectors.

Replacement hose was cheap too. So could be a good place to look next. I wouldn't be doing WOT pulls until you have a better idea what's up. Nothing seems off in your logs from what I know.

I would adjust some of your values. Don't log coolant temp, gear position, maf volt. Add AVCS L/R and OCV L/R to make the right and left are in sync.

Just following up to see if that has solved your problems? I have an 05 XT and it is doing very very similar things to yours. I cant seem to solve the issue. Everything I see on my accessport is similar to you. Only lame thing is I am pretty sure every hose on my engine has now been replaced already and is clamped. So unfortunately I don't have that to try. Its been doing it through several tanks of gas, I tried swapping my MAF with another suby and still no change. Please keep me posted if you resolved your issue. Thanks!!

Always be sure your inlet is not ripped at the turbo. They can degrade to the point that during normal driving they are fine but increase pressure WFO can leak.

I have used the Free Range hose kit on this last setup as an example... The vac lines in the kit is just cut down bulk silicone hose. You may be lucky and see if he has any more of the vac line or source the material in bulk.

Always be sure your inlet is not ripped at the turbo. They can degrade to the point that during normal driving they are fine but increase pressure WFO can leak.

I actually noticed the other day that it looks like a little bit of oil is collecting outside the turbine inlet pipe. That might be a good place to start... at what read is the worst job haha...:spin:

I am located in WI. I actually replaced my turbo inlet awhile back with a Perrin one. Also I may have purchased the last kit from Free range. But certainly check with him. He has nice kits made up to replace all the hoses on the engine. I would think a person could buy a hose kit for a 08-11 wrx? They appear pretty much the same when looking under the hood to our 2.5t.

I actually noticed the other day that it looks like a little bit of oil is collecting outside the turbine inlet pipe. That might be a good place to start... at what read is the worst job haha...:spin:

Once your clear on all the connections involved it's not that bad. I have used the Perrin as well and went back to stock later. Currently on my third unit over the course of 198K. Issue with the Perrin is the placement of the blow off valve port is more suited for the 07 thru 09 and it's just a tight fit. If I'de luse it again some phenolic risers would be under the TGV just to give it some more elbow room under the intake.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I just wanted to let everyone know that thanks to all of your suggestions and Infamous Performance Mike Sprank's outstanding tech support the motor seems to be running perfectly again. I found the slightly oily stock turbo inlet to be the cause of all of those retarded logs. I replaced it last week with an oe part (not fun), reset ecu and it seems to have cleared everything up. It feels like I got a Christmas present to have my car back again!

Thanks again to all who chimed in, the lgt archives and keepers and Happy New Year to you all!

Inlets aren't actually too bad to replace. If you're careful you can squirrel it out of there without lifting the manifold.

Glad you're sorted :)

Were you able to determine the source of the oil in the inlet? Blow-by?

I could suck start a snow blower.

Inlets aren't actually too bad to replace. If you're careful you can squirrel it out of there without lifting the manifold.

Glad you're sorted :)

Were you able to determine the source of the oil in the inlet? Blow-by?

The oil seemed normal and probably just blow-by. Though I cannot see where, I suspect that there's a tiny leak somewhere in the inlet pipe that allowed he oil to accumulate outside, which is what tipped me off. I assume the clogged air filter caused excessive vacuum in the system and the original inlet was the weak link and cracked under boost.

I ended up digging under the manifold and snaking it out in about 45 minutes, replacement though, specifically mating it with the turbo was like a crap-shoot. The worst part of it was the feeling that if I had to do it again the reinstall would be just as difficult...

Archived