LegacyGT.com

2010 LGT headlights-looking for more light

garygbnj

Running Phillips super intensity bulbs. High beams are great. Low beams could use improvement. Does an HID lo beam offer greater range and light intensity than the super intensity bulbs that I am running? If there is a massive improvement then what brand and supplier is recommended? Do I need to buy a harness? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Headlight pictured not included in kit

Retro-Quik: Subaru Legacy (05-14)

Bixenon Projectors:

Morimoto Mini H1 7.0 (LHD) (USA & CAN)

Mounting Hardware:

Subaru Legacy 05-14 Brackets

AMP: Morimoto XB35

H1 HID Bulbs:

H1: XB 4500K

I opted out of the wire harness. You will need to buy one or make one yourself with 2 relays, fuse holder, good gauge wire and 2 9006 female sockets. I will be cutting drivers low beam harness and soldering into it. Triggering the HID shield with the high beam wires. Be aware if you buy a so called plug-n-play harness. Subarus use ground switching headlamp systems.

Once you experience Bi-xenon HID you will never want anything less. Opt for a bulb temperature in the 4500K range. They tend to put out the most lumens. I've had 5500K Osram Xenarc CBI and although they appeared to be a hair brighter, I was disappointed with 2 things. Wet pavement lighting was horrible compared to the 4500s. Road signs were so bright with the CBI that they became distracting while trying to ignore them, and un-readable due to their reflectiveness.

G2enC4c.jpg

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

I would like to go the led route. Did led bulbs in my Subaru Legacy GT-what an improvement. Tried two brands of led bulbs in my 95 Nissan 300 zx tt. Both brands wiggled in the socket. I have had 3 brands of halogens in the same headlights and they all fit tight. The spec is off on the led bulbs (China). If I could find a 9006 led for the Zx that fit tight that would be great.

H7 = Osram Laser or Philips Racing vision.

'black series' HID projectors should bolt in, they're used in quite a few Japanese cars.

There's also plenty of room for other projectors to fit with brackets, like G37 sedan, RX350, or similar sized. Morimoto MD2S4 should fit with minimal mods. When I get around to swapping projectors on my car, I'll take some pictures (I have OE HID, black series projectors, but have RX350, G37 sedan and Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 to experiment with).

As for PnP LED, put one of those 10,000 alibaba lumen bulbs in (leave the other halogen), find a flat, level ground with a white wall, take your car 3 car-lenghts back, set your camera to manual mode, drop ISO to 80 and take pictures.

Remember, a bright foreground (light in front of bumper) means you can't see further out (light at cut off).

If I had access to Koito bi-LED projectors, I'd put those in without thinking about it.

Archived