LegacyGT.com

Anyone Else Experience Change in Brake Performance

I have a 2015 Legacy 3.6. I noticed recently that brake pedal travel has increased. The brakes also don't feel nearly as responsive as they were. This happened mysteriously after my last dealer service visit (oil change and tire rotation) a couple of weeks ago.

Took car back in Today to have a brake system check. Told brake performance was normal. Service writer said that another customer had come in recently with the same complaint (and same outcome). Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this issue? Front and rear pads were reported to be at 7/10.

Your fluid may be getting old and dirty.

Thanks.... Hadn't considered that. Seems like the dealer would've suggested that though, if for no other reason to make some $$$$. They told me to bring it back if it gets any worse. I will consider changing out the brake fluid on the next visit.

The Subaru maintenance schedule recommends the brake fluid to be replaced around 30,000 miles, so if you're around that I agree that it would be a good place to start. Rebleeding the brakes would also be an easy thing to check if you know how to do it. If you know how to do that though you might as well just change the fluid then too while you're at it.

https://www.cars.com/articles/2013/12/does-brake-fluid-need-to-be-changed/

The Subaru maintenance schedule recommends the brake fluid to be replaced around 30,000 miles, so if you're around that I agree that it would be a good place to start. Rebleeding the brakes would also be an easy thing to check if you know how to do it. If you know how to do that though you might as well just change the fluid then too while you're at it.

My car is pretty low mileage. It's 34 months old with 19,200 miles. I agree the brake fluid may be the likely culprit.

I appreciate the suggestions! :)

The fluid won't start to get more flexible over time unless you for some reason get air into the system, the most likely culprit is the floating calipers - or rather the guiding pins that the calipers shall slide on. The caliper sticks to the pin causing uneven wear on the pads.

Remove caliper, re-lubricate the pins and reassemble.

This is something that have been a problem for many years.

453747.png

Brake fluid should be changed every 2 years or 30K miles.

Yes, but it don't impact the braking performance under normal conditions. The reason is that it attracts water vapor and therefore can cause the brake system to corrode from the inside and lower the boiling point of the brake fluid, which is bad if you do a lot of heavy braking. But you won't feel it in the pedal that it's time to change fluid.

453747.png

Archived