LegacyGT.com

17x9 vs 18x8

Leftcoast_LGT

I’m planning to get new wheels (RPF1s) and tires but I’m having a hard time deciding which what size to go with. The main thing I’m really wondering is, is there a difference in performance or handling between a 17x9 and a 18x8? And which will be easiest to fit?

Here some additional info incase it matters

05 LGT

Currently on stock wheels

On konis and H&Rs

Stage 3

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!

I would personally go 17x9 because I can't stand the convex face of rpf1s in a width less than 9". But like it's been said above, without tire information there really isn't much point in comparing performance. 17x9 will be lighter compared with an 18x8 though by a couple pounds each.

talking about wheel width performance without any talk of what tire type or tire size you plan to run is pointless.

what tires and size do you plan to run?

255/40/17. I havent looked into 18 inch wheels much yet, I was just recently told by my local Subaru shop that a 18x8 would be easier to fit than a 17x9 with my current suspension set up. I’d probanly go with 245/35/18

As far as tires, I’m pretty set on the firehawk Indy 500s

17x9 is hard to fit with that tire size. if you commit to that, be prepared for fender rolling/pulling and the need for after market camber adjustments to make it fit. 245/35/18 on a 18x8 +48 wheel will be much easier to fit, and wont give my much actual performance differences assuming equal tire compound on the street. If you are not traking/autoxing the car, stick with a 18x8 +48 and the 245/35/18 tire size.

Archived