LegacyGT.com

Legacy vs Model 3

Went up to Big Bear this past weekend in my 3.6 and loved the drive so much! We came across a model 3 up there and started to think about maybe ordering one. I know these cars are completely different but what do you all think? What do you feel are the pros and cons of each car?

Aside from the long wait to get one, possibly some first gen. issues (new car, from the ground up), limited range for driving (unless it's just a commuter, or, you have tons of charging stations along a long drive), I don't see a reason not to get one.

Soon enough, all cars will go the route of electric/hybrid/turbo etc. And with the 3, you'll never need gas...which can be a substantial savings, in life. :)

Electric doesn’t work. Not yet anyway. Those batteries are so toxic to produce they’ll vastly outweigh the carbon offset.

And when they catch on fire that’s a problem. If you’re in an accident the first thing they will do is cut the battery cables.

Two close friends have Teslas.

If your commute is short and predictable, you don't regularly go on long trips, and your fine with the occasional technical quirk like needing to update your car regularly over wifi, it's fun. You can outrun a Lamborghini, or almost any other car on the planet, and still pick up a full load from Costco. Autopilot is also amazing.

If you drive in snow, you NEED snow tires. Ignore the words "all-season."

Bodywork the car is astronomically expensive.

You need to drop $2500 for a proprietary charger at home. If your next car isn't a Tesla, the charger it will likely be useless.

Giving the vehicle to a valet is a HORRIBLE idea.

The only drawback from the driver's perspective is the lack of a blind spot warning on the rearview mirror.

When the day comes that Millions will own one, the Taxes on those cars will be alot more than paying for Gasoline... That Lost Revenue has got to come from somewhere...

They already should be. There is a huge revenue lost from all the gas taxes and the tax credits given to the e-cars these days and are are the reason we have pothole ridden streets. I know the higher MPG regulations are a factor too. But with more and more folks getting these it'll only get worse.

With the e-Semi launch the other day, we'll soon be driving on dirt roads if the gas tax issue is not addressed soon.

As long as our electricity is being produced majorly from coal and bio fuels, these green people might as well be driving coal powered steam cars!

Saw part of a YouTube video on the 2020 Roadster... 1.9sec. 0-60... Less than 5sec. 0-100... Top Speed, 250 something...

I had to quit watching...

Hahaha. I saw it this morning. It went 2 ft then made a 360, 2 ft and another 360 :)

There was more smoke from the fog machine than the wheels!

When the day comes that Millions will own one, the Taxes on those cars will be alot more than paying for Gasoline... That Lost Revenue has got to come from somewhere...

Sure, they'll move the tax to electricity, and then instead of paying the tax on just gasoline you'd use for your car or outdoor equipment, you'll pay it on all the electricity you use - whether it's for your car or your house!

As long as our electricity is being produced majorly from coal and bio fuels, these green people might as well be driving coal powered steam cars!

Well, not quite. It varies hugely by region, depending on the predominant power supply to the grid (and by time of day charging, etc.) https://greentransportation.info/energy-transportation/evs-need-clean-electricity.html

A bunch of little gas powered engines still create more inefficiencies that a large power plant can mitigate, even on coal.

That said, if everyone defaulted to cars like the Legacy (3.6 or 2.5i) instead of larger gas guzzlers, electric pushers would be set back by years.

Model 3 still looks like fun. Probably not in my future (2030?).

The new Tesla roadster has exceeded all other models.

250 mph

620 miles on a single charge

https://www.tesla.com/roadster/

I think those are target numbers. Its probably still more than a few years away. If they already got 620 miles on a single charge, they'd make a shit ton of money putting it into the model 3 and let folks buy them en-masse even at a low price vs holding back.

Archived