LegacyGT.com

Front Axle Issues

So I had a clicking and popping in the front of my car and took it to the Subaru Dealership and had the front axles replaced with OE but now I hear it coming back.

Has anyone had issues like this?

and is there an upgrade that is better?

(like some year STI etc that may have better axles)

Appreciate any feed back.

What caused the dealership to determine your clicking and popping was coming from your front axles and not anything else? Can you describe the noise a little better, when it happens vs when it doesn't, driving style, location of noise? Also does the clicking match any speed like the speed of your car or the engine RPMs?

The front end has is open and has no ujoints...no locker or viscous coupler of any kind. The OEM axles are generally pretty good units I am curious as to why you have had multiple failures. Usually a torn boot will cause the joint to wear because of the absence of grease in the joint.

Well it mostly would pop/click when turning and in reverse but you could hear it driving straight also. It was obvious the noise was coming from the front. When they were replaced it went completely away. I can hear it every once in awhile usually when i'm turning. Boots are good, first thing I checked.

Thanks FLlegacy, I thought it was open but wasn't sure.

I think you have your answer...cv joints can put power down while turning, but the more power you subject them to the faster they will wear out. Maybe you should look into an STI 6mt swap with the beefier sti axles. Sounds to me like you would have a lot of fun with the dccd.

If that happens, I may have to make an excuse to pass through and check it out! Being a native FIB and having friends and family in the northwest suburbs, that shouldn't be too hard to do.

Any chance you're up around Milwaukee very often? I saw a gray GT about a year, year and a half ago on 894 (I think) headed the same way as me- lowered, black Rally Armor flaps, didn't exactly wait around for me to keep up. I think that car got sold on CL around the time I saw it, though, not sure how long you've had yours.

I think ill look into that FLlegacy sounds like a plan.

I'm in Milwaukee for bucks games every month, I've had the car for over 2years, no flaps yet.

I'll have to make a post when i go that route. The research begins!

A salvage car, depending on the damage, may be out of whack in some manner to cause extra wear on an axle. What happened to the car in the past? How much power are you making? Do you do a lot of J-turns or donuts?

He said he is a "savage" not the car is a salvage... :lol:

Archived