LegacyGT.com

Back up motor

This weekend I was able to score a, mostly complete (missing alt and injectors), 2001 2.5 motor for $80. It was apparently pulled because of a spun bearing. I bought it fully expecting to have the heads and block machined and then rebuild it and let it sit on my engine stand until the current motor goes or I can make enough money off of it to make selling it worthwhile.

I'm trying to determine what my end game should be with this motor. When I'm done with school in another two years my leggy will be on autocross duty. The only thing I really know at this point is that I'll have the cams reground. I'm toying with the idea of swapping over to E85 and going with a Megasquirt system.

Any thoughts on this? What would you do? Anything I should be looking for in regards to the phase 2 motor?

Those motors are reliable as hell. My advice, if you're going to autocross it, build it with the EJ251 block, EJ22E heads, and a Delta 1000 regrind. If you're going to do a standalone ECU, go with a Delta 2000 regrind. I wouldn't go with a Megasquirt though. I heard mixed reviews on it. Go with AEM, Greddy, or Rallitek.

Those motors are reliable as hell. My advice, if you're going to autocross it, build it with the EJ251 block, EJ22E heads, and a Delta 1000 regrind. If you're going to do a standalone ECU, go with a Delta 2000 regrind. I wouldn't go with a Megasquirt though. I heard mixed reviews on it. Go with AEM, Greddy, or Rallitek.

The 2000 regrind is what was making me think of the standalone ECU but I'll look closer at the other venders. I have some buddies that run megasquirt on a big block Ford and a small block Chevy and like their results but I've seen mixed reviews on the Subaru forums.

I like the idea of using the 2.2 heads to bump compression and the combo with the cam regrind to exaggerate the torque curve would be great for autocross. Is there a particular year of SOCH I should look for?

The thing is, EJ222 heads and EJ251 heads are both 50cc on combustion volume. Even the pistons have the same head on them. They're literally the same engine with a different bore size. Their compression ratio is both 10:1. If you intend on raising the compression, you need to track down some 22E heads or some JDM EJ20 heads. Either way, if you're going to throw that motor into your 98 LGT, it's got to have a Phase 1 top end (pre-1999).

Look at the 96-98 Legacy L 2.2, 96-98 Outback Sport 2.2 for EJ22E heads and if you go JDM EJ20, look for some EJ20G/H heads.

The EJ251 with 22E heads will give you 11.63:1 compression ratio. With those cams, holy hell!

The thing is, EJ222 heads and EJ251 heads are both 50cc on combustion volume. Even the pistons have the same head on them. They're literally the same engine with a different bore size. Their compression ratio is both 10:1. If you intend on raising the compression, you need to track down some 22E heads or some JDM EJ20 heads. Either way, if you're going to throw that motor into your 98 LGT, it's got to have a Phase 1 top end (pre-1999).

Look at the 96-98 Legacy L 2.2, 96-98 Outback Sport 2.2 for EJ22E heads and if you go JDM EJ20, look for some EJ20G/H heads.

The EJ251 with 22E heads will give you 11.63:1 compression ratio. With those cams, holy hell!

This is exactly the info I was looking for. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the 2.2 heads have a different exhaust output shape than the 2.5 heads. Is there truth to that? I'd like to keep the header that I have installed on the car.

No the V2 EJ22E heads were dual port. They didn't go to single port heads on the EJ22 until 99 and continued onto 01 until Subaru discontinued the EJ22 motor. There are a few isolated cases where the 96 EJ22E head had a single port exhaust. The V1 heads (90-96) have a 40cc combustion chamber and the V2 heads (97-98) have a 41cc combustion chamber.

• 4 months later...

So I've decided to go the Frankenmotor route on this build, which will happen over the course of a year or two really.

Today's question is about cranks and rods.

On a local Subaru forum there is someone selling a 2004 STI crank and rods (along with a turbo I don't need) for $150. Does anyone know if the crank and rod combo would work in the 2001 2.5 block I've got with the endgame of adding the 1996 2.2 soch heads I picked up?

So I've decided to go the Frankenmotor route on this build, which will happen over the course of a year or two really.

Today's question is about cranks and rods.

On a local Subaru forum there is someone selling a 2004 STI crank and rods (along with a turbo I don't need) for $150. Does anyone know if the crank and rod combo would work in the 2001 2.5 block I've got with the endgame of adding the 1996 2.2 soch heads I picked up?

Yes they will but I'd swap those pistons for an off the shelf forged option. 2.5 Turbo pistons suffer a lot from broken ringlands.

Yes they will but I'd swap those pistons for an off the shelf forged option. 2.5 Turbo pistons suffer a lot from broken ringlands.

Oddly enough the motor they came out of was pulled because of ringland failure. The forged wiseco pistons look just fine and he threw them in for $30 because he has no need for them. Got the whole rotating assembly minus wristpins for $130. I'm wondering if they would be prone to the same failure in a high compression (11.2:1) n/a motor.

Phase 1 Engines

-75mm stroke with 52mm rod journal

-79mm stroke with 48mm rod journal

-130.5mm rod length (exception EJ25 is 131.25mm)

-thrust bearing is main bearing #3

-2 bolts at the very top and 2 studs at the bottom

Phase 2 Engines

-75mm stroke with 52mm rod journal

-79mm stroke with 52mm rod journal

-130.5mm rod length & '05+ EJ25 NA(exception '99-'04 EJ25 NA 131.6mm)

-thrust bearing is main bearing #5

-6 bolts top to bottom with 2 studs at the bottom

found this here https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/archive/index.php/t-10561.html

seems N/A rods are a bit longer but you can maybe match up some different pistons to make it work. but a great site to check out.

if you don't know what a factory5 818 is by now look it up, i would take the site to be very reputable lots of engine builders.

The crank, rods, and pistons will work in the EJ251 block, though you will actually drop compression a bit, even with the EJ22E heads. This is partly how the EJ257 lowers compression so it can make reliable boost. You'll go from 11.2:1 to 9.74:1 with STI pistons, rods, and the EJ251 head gasket, which is nearly the stock compression of a EJ25D.

There are a couple of options. First you can use the stock EJ251 pistons and STI rods and head gasket. They have half the piston dish volume than the STI pistons and will bring your CR up to 10:1. The second option is to get some EJ253 pistons from the 05-10 Legacy/Impreza 2.5i, and use the STI rods. The pistons have 8.7cc dish and brings your CR up to 11.7:1 on a stock 251 head gasket and to 11.9:1 with a STI gasket.

EJ251 rods are 131.6mm, EJ253 and EJ257 rods are 130.5mm.

Archived